Nokia to launch phone that stores 3,000 songs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
Ok, so you say putting an HDD decreases battery life and increases dimensions. But you do get an HDD, dont you? And 4GB at that. There isn't even a 4GB Memory Stick card and Memory Sticks are the most expensive types of flash memory.

Camera is debatable until both phones come out and are tested and compared.

Music player? Look at the formats the N91 supports:
gxsaurav said:
Music:
Audio formats (decoding)

MP3, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, Real V8, WAV, WMA, M4A, AWB, SP-Midi, AMR, WB-AMR, Nokia Ring Tones, AMR-NB, AWB

How many formats does the W800 play?

Looks are highly subjective but personally, I would prefer a Black/Silver phone over an Orange one :p

Why are you thinking of only India as the market for the N91? It will be sold worldwide. And there are countries that have 3G services and readily available Wi-Fi. If I get this phone, I can use my university's wireless internet and browse using my phone from anywhere I want. You can't say a particular feature is useless just because you might not get the full benefit from it. Also, the N91 will come out at the end of this year so we still might get 3G byt then. EDGE services are already present in a lot of circles. Also, you can set up a home wireless network and browse the net using your phone.

W800 does not win just because it uses Sony's proprietary OS. Their OS limits the amount of stuff you can get for the phones. It's like comparing Linux/Mac OS with Windows. Don't you still use Windows in spite of all the viruses, spyware, trojans, et al??

G

gxsaurav

Hmm, one by one

U get a HD fine, but again whats the use if U run out of Battry, U can have 3000 songs, but to listen to all that the phone must work for 50 hrs or even long, continues, I don't think even N91 can play for that long

But with 2 GB flash memory,& I m not talking about only Memory stick duo but also TF & RC-MMC, U can play for 30 hrs with the phone off or 15 Hrs with the phone On,

15 hrs, even 3000 songs won't compleate playing in this much time, they will take a lot longer time to finish,

What I m saying that providing a HD in a Mobile Phone is bad, Flash based storage, any kind if, SD, MMC, RC-MMC, are a lot better & power saver then HD based mobile phones

Just for the sake U get a HD, which is prone to shock & will be sevearly damaged if they phone falls down, U r willing to prefer this fragile & big phone over anything else, remember Mobiles are meant to be small & light, & N91 is no small & compact

About the Music formats, let me re-sort your list

MP3, AAC,WAV, WMA, M4A - Most common format

AAC+, eAAC+ - Encrypted ones, when U buy music, how many here in India buy Music, I m not talking about US or France. Besides AAC+ is mono while WMA or mp3 are stereo

Real V8 - Extremely rare format, hard to find & convert

AMR, WB-AMR,AMR-NB - Sound recording formats, try converting a mp3 to amr & be ready to face the quality loss, it's huge

SP-Midi - Ringtone format, can be played on any polyphonic phone
Nokia Ring Tones Properity Nokia ringtone format, songs are not found in this format

W800 playes MP3, AAC,WAV, M4A,AMR, WB-AMR,AMR-NB,SP-Midi. So what left is WMA & Real V8, .ntr is not a point of discussion here

Even WMA is rare, 99% users will be using mp3, cos many don't even know about AAC or WMA, not talking about the nerds

WiFi & Edge are required, ok, but here in India even GPRS costs a lot, & even if U can use it in your collage, so what, is it available easily in India,I don't think so, even I said that EDGE will be missed in W800 & K750i

Again, I m asking U , tell me one thing that U can do on Symbian OS with a new sotware that U can't do on SE OS, nothing is left, evn if U cn't install softwares, there is nothing U r missing, everything is already there, that U might want from a phone

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
As far as I know, even iPods can't run for as long as the music lasts. You think with 20GB iPods, people can play all their music on a single charge? IT's not about how long your player can play songs, it's about how many it can store so that you have a wider choice of songs to listen to.

Do you realize how much a 2GB card would cost? It would probably about as much as the cell phone itself. I mentioned Memory Sticks in particular because the W800 uses them. I saw on Amazon that a 2GB MEmory Stick Duo costs $350. You want to pay that much for flash memory? And with higher capacity cards, the speed is compromized as the phone has to address all that information. That does slow down the phone.

Whoever said that mobilrs are meant to small and compact? IS the Nokia 9500 small? Is the SE P910i small? Don't they sell so many pieces the world over? It's about getting the features you want that matters rather than the size. Also, this might be a subjective issue as some people might like small phones. Fine. But I Still don't like the idea of getting an orange-colored cell phone.

Again with the music formats and Internet, why do you think of only India? Nokia will sell the phone on 5 continents for crying out loud. And don't tell me GPRS is expensive-it costs just Rs. 99pm but GPRS is not the issue here-EDGE is. Wi-Fi is available in India. SIFY offers it. Ok it may not be widespread but it is a start. As I said, don't neglect a feature just because you can't make full use of it. A lot of users will and that is why the N91 scores over the W800.

My point with the music formats being, the N91 plays more file formats than the W800 which makes it better.

*www.allaboutsymbian.com/reviews/index.php?c=Applications

I am not going to list out any apps. Go to the site above and see for yourself what you can do with Symbian.

G

gxsaurav

Nemesis said:
And with higher capacity cards, the speed is compromized as the phone has to address all that information. That does slow down the phone.

Ya right, it is not a HD which fragments, it's electronic, there is no such problem in flash device,

Whoever said that mobilrs are meant to small and compact? IS the Nokia 9500 small? Is the SE P910i small?

These are PDA phones, they are meant to be big, compare W800 to N91 or 6630 not these big phones, & U r the first one who is saying that you want a big phone for style & day to day use

Yo, dude, again, this is India, & right now I m talking about India, not the world, I m saying that N91 is not for Indian Market, as it is quite overkill & fragile

What more Music formats are there whch U can play on N91, I mean, U tell me, that will U be playing AMR-WB format music on your player, even if it supported only mp3 even then it would have been enough cos many people use mp3 only

*www.allaboutsymbian.com/reviews/index.php?c=Applications

Seriously, I was not able to find one application which does something that even a S700i lacks by default, except for games of course

more then that I say, get a K750 with a seperate mp3 player , that will be cheaper

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
You obviously haven't had much experience with Memory cards else you would know that if you get higher capacity cards, the phone slows down while accessing data stroed on the cards. It doesn not slow down the entire phone; just when it accesses data in the cards. Also, the SE site says that you can use upto 1GB cards so your 2GB is out of the question.

Store more
The W800i has plenty of memory inside for storing your favourite songs, images and video. And when you need to store more, use Memory Stick™ PRO Duo. In addition to the phone’s internal memory, you can have up to 1GB expandable memory. Thousands of images. Hundreds of songs

Here is the link for your viewing pleasure :p
SE W800i

Ok, I agree that some features on the N91 will not be very useful in India. But does that make this a bad phone? No, sir. I will repeat, If a feature will not be useful to you, it doesn't mean that the feature is totally useless
But since you want to talk about India, I'll let you know that I have a Wireless Router and that operators like Hutch do offer EDGE. SO it isn't as if EDGE is completely useless.

What more Music formats are there whch U can play on N91, I mean, U tell me, that will U be playing AMR-WB format music on your player, even if it supported only mp3 even then it would have been enough cos many people use mp3 only

I could not make any sense from this.

But with 2 GB flash memory,& I m not talking about only Memory stick duo but also TF & RC-MMC, U can play for 30 hrs with the phone off or 15 Hrs with the phone On,

Are you sure you can play music with the phone switched off??? ;)

Seriously, I was not able to find one application which does something that even a S700i lacks by default, except for games of course

Did you even look??? I found a ton of stuff like InstantMessenger, GPS system, Opera, etc.
And this was just one site. Ask drgrudge for more Symbian apps.

G

gxsaurav

I have worked with Memory cards, for a long time, & for the price a 512 MB Memory stick duo, not original without bill can be baught in Lucknow for Rs 7000, thats way to less then $350

Read the W800 specs again, U can use the phone as Music player with the phone off, it is a feature of the phone

GPRS & EDGE are available from Hutch, but not widespread, ok, neyway, thos who need it will go for it

No point to argue on the phones which are not even out there

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
gxsaurav said:
Yo, dude, again, this is India, & right now I m talking about India, not the world, I m saying that N91 is not for Indian Market, as it is quite overkill & fragile
WHy dude? I am interested in getting this phone if it costs less than 30k. Or can u tell me if u go for W00 or this N91 if the difference is only some 2-3k?

gxsaurav said:
*us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons6/13.gif
LOL man... , do u have that IR remote control thing in SE phones? When a member asked abt this in the QNA section u urself said that is not available with SE phones and and now u said that was not possible.
I can tell that not more than 30% of the apps which works on nokia series 60/80/90 phones cant install on this SE phones.

Moreover this W800?S700i is not a symbian phone and tell me how can tell most of the application which works on S700i which also installs on the symbian phones of nokia?

By the way u can get only JAVA games for this phones and prolly nothing
interesting apps...

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
LOL man GX. I said the 2GB one is $350 read my post carefully. And how can you run anything with the phone off? Use a little bit of common sense :p

GPRS & EDGE are available from Hutch, but not widespread, ok, neyway, thos who need it will go for it

Exactly what I was trying to say all along!!

G

gxsaurav

I would like to refer U here

*techdigestuk.typepad.com/tech_digest/2005/03/sony_ericsson_w.html

It's clearly written
Fifteen hours' playback is what you'll get off the battery - and thirty if you play your music with the phone switched off.

It is a feature of W800i

anispace

dattebayo
Fifteen hours' playback is what you'll get off the battery - and thirty if you play your music with the phone switched off.

thats called the flight mode i think.It means that ur GSM network will be off not the phone.It is available in newer Nokia phones as also in N91.

Man do u hate hdd.Why dont u install flash cards in ur PC and remove the HDD.

Also flash cards are costly and not provided with the phone as standard but
the N91 has a built in HDD so u wont have to spend extra money.[/quote]

G

gxsaurav

Yes, I do hate HD in a Mobile Phone which runs on battry & is fragile, & don't like a Flash HD in my PC where I have constant power

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
GX, my system is almost 6 years old and even my My HDD is in a perfect condition.. and i dint have any inverter/UPS for my system and many times, power has gone off and still nothing has happened.

gxsaurav said:
I do hate HD in a Mobile Phone which runs on battry & is fragile
LOL man do u play with ur HDD, to be broken? The hdd is gonna be inside ur phone.
So if this the case then it's should be the same for memory duo sticks and MMC et al.

blacklight

Journeyman
sorry to be a party pooper ..but this fone has a microdrive or a mini hard disk.it would be terrible if we dropped it while it was playing those mp3s .it wuld be better if it had used a flash drive instead...flash drives are much more rugged and less prone to such crashes.

gdatuk

Ambassador of Buzz
drvarunmehta said:
All this will be pointless if we have to hear the songs on Nokia's crappy earphones. If Nokia dosen't want to bundle good quality earphones, the least they can do is allow us to use our own.

have u tried the headphones which ship with 7650? its awesome man. hope nokia comes out with similar thingie for n series

gdatuk

Ambassador of Buzz
drgrudge said:
GX, my system is almost 6 years old and even my My HDD is in a perfect condition.. and i dint have any inverter/UPS for my system and many times, power has gone off and still nothing has happened.

YOU are among a few lucky person on this solar system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom