Nokia phones as USB pen Drive??

Status
Not open for further replies.

joey_182

Jack Sparrow
guys i want to use my nokia phone as USB pendrive...(N72)
so if u know any application exist, which can be installed on phone to make it use like pen drives....

and do u think..this thing depends on memory card also...??
(motorola razer can be used as pen drive,so y not nokia n series)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
i don't think you need any apps for that. i guess only the relevant mass storage driver provided on the disk. simply insert it and connect the phone. it'll ask for the drivers if i'm rite. point to the cd and let it install. you should be able to see it in my computer (in windows) Quiz master can help you more on this.

Dnt knw about N72, but my 5200 can be used as a pendrive without installing any drivers.
Just connect the usb cable and it will ask for connection mode and then choose DATA & STORAGE MODE ..... and it will show as a removable drive in my computer. But u can only acces the Memory card ...not the phone memory ........

Pathik

Google Bot
yup.. U dont need ny drivers for this.. Jus plug in the cable and select the data storage/transfer mode.

Quiz_Master

* Teh Flirt King *
I have N72.
Well, N72 can be used to transfer data from one place to another, but I won't say it exactly work like a pen drive.
For first every time you connect it to a new PC, you will need to install drivers for it. And Nokia PC Suite too(Optional). For that you always have to keep driver CD with you.
There isn't any other short way. Installation of drivers is necessary.
Application on a phone to do this is not possible..because its your PC that must be able to detect your Mobile.

You can do what I did...
I installed Nokia Drivers and PC Suite in computers of my every friend, (They are allready installed in my college.:D)
So whenever I need to transfer data I have to just plug my mobile.

What my another friend did is, He bought a Card Reader..(150 rupees), and whenever he need to transfer data he take out his memory card, insert it in card reader, and use card reader as a Pen Drive.

Offtopic : Recently I got a chance of testing N70ME and 5500. N70 was a dazzling new phone. But when I tested it, I found it slower then my N72. Strange.
But 5500 was cool looking and fast. Really liked it. Yet to test 5700.

Last edited:

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
I am not sure about N72, but all the S60v3 phones can be used as a Removal Storage ( Pen Drive) without the need for PC Suite.

Simply plug in the USB cable, and when the phone displays the mode selection choice, select Mass Storage.

Pathik

Google Bot
yup.. afaik n72 also has the removable storage option...
and the data transfer rate in it is much higher than the pc suite mode..

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
pathiks said:
yup.. U dont need ny drivers for this.. Jus plug in the cable and select the data storage/transfer mode.

Thanks bro, didnt knew that. Now my 2GB card will come in handy and MicroSD is so small, can easily fit in my Wallet...the extra 512 will also come in handy :D

Thanks again

Quiz_Master

* Teh Flirt King *
pathiks said:
yup.. afaik n72 also has the removable storage option...
and the data transfer rate in it is much higher than the pc suite mode..
No It doesn't.
I have it. And I checked it with every possible way.
Connect it without installing drivers.. It says that device attached to USB port is unknown.
Only way is PC Suite or similar softwares.

K

krazyfrog

Yup older S60 phones like N72 didn't support USB mass storage. Its only from S60 v3 that mass storage support was added.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Once again I poke my nose in :p sorry to ask, whats the price of 2GB Memory card ??

I am not too sure, but asked some one in my yahoo messenger list, and I was told around Rs. 1500/- so, as Quiz_Master said, Rs. 200 for a Card reader, and one 2 GB Card Rs. 1500 so ttal 1700/-

so once again, I press for the Home Made Palm Driver instade of a option like this, read in this thread please... :)

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61688

cant say bout S60, but my S40 5200 supports the removable drive feature.

2 GB MicroSd card costs around 1100-1200 ..........

Last edited:

Pathik

Google Bot
yup.. 2gb fake transcend and kingston cost arnd 1k.. I m using my 1gb micros d as a pendrive since quite some time..

OP
joey_182

joey_182

Jack Sparrow
ok...so can it be upgraded to S60v3...i know it cant be upgraded to full S60v3 but y not just application..for memory card to read as pen drive...i think it can be yaar....?programmers can do this...

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
that thing can't be got to work by installing some app on the phone or computer. what we need to do it include that option of identifying as mass storage in the firmware of the phone. so unless nokia release a new firmware wid this feature built in you can't do much.

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
Choto Cheeta said:
Once again I poke my nose in :p sorry to ask, whats the price of 2GB Memory card ??

I can help since i bought one last week, MicroSD 2GB

Transcend - 1200
Kingston - 1300
Sandisk - 1300

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
^^^

Thnx for the Info, so any comment here, *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61688 on the Mentioned topic of 2 gb for Rs. 1300 vs 80 gb for Rs. 2500 ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom