Nokia Lumia 800 v/s Dell Venue Pro or anyother.....Help me choose a mobile / tablet

niranjanwagh

Right off the assembly line
Hi there
Digit Team,

I am really excited to get the Digit Collector’s Edition Dec 2011 issue in my hand a couple of days ago. I am a subscriber to Digit Magazine. I wish to buy a new mobile phone in very near future as my Nokia N95, a six year old has started giving me trouble. I am elaborating a few points here which I would consider while buying. I request you to help me choose based on the same. I have no budget as such; I just want a superb rugged mobile.

At present I am using Nokia N95 and N97 phones. I got 3G MTNL connection and do full use of it; downloading content, music etc and all the features of these phones I have been using.

1. I have been using Nokia mobiles since last 12 years and have faith in Nokia as they got a rugged architecture, good availability of spares and ample service centres. However I am open to other companies subject to above compliance.

2. What is the difference in Android and Windows 7 OS? Which one is more superior? Which one I should go for?

3. I have come across Nokia Lumia 800, Dell Venue Pro and Dell Streak 5. I have got Dell XPS Studio 1645 laptop which is functioning superb and Dell service too is excellent.

4. I need a phone which is fast and preferably Windows 7.5 with ample memory or support for memory card. What is the difference between a tablet and a smartphone / mobile and which one I should go for? I am new to it so asking you, do I go for a tablet when I have a laptop and mobiles like N95 & 97?

5. You can suggest me from the above mentioned phones or any other phones which you feel may be suitable for me. I would also consider the functionality like a computer in new phone.

6. Do you have any reviews about the phones which you will be suggesting; if yes then please send me the links so I too can see for myself?

7. May I get a permission to ask you a few more questions if I have based on your reply?

I really thank you very much for your noble work helping people understand the knowledge about technology and much more.

Thank you Digit!
Dr. Niranjan M Wagh

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
Re: Nokia Lumia 800 v/s Dell Venue Pro or anyother.....Help me choose a mobile / tabl

Well tablets are larger in size,Well Android is any day better than Windows 7 Os(Mobile).I personally feel you Take an android cell.Since there better have Better apps,Their highly customiziatable.Go for galaxy s2.Or wait for the pros to reply

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
Re: Nokia Lumia 800 v/s Dell Venue Pro or anyother.....Help me choose a mobile / tabl

Hi there
I request you to help me choose based on the same. I have no budget as such; I just want a superb rugged mobile.

At present I am using Nokia N95 and N97 phones. I got 3G MTNL connection and do full use of it; downloading content, music etc and all the features of these phones I have been using.

As far as I know, Motorola Defy is an excellent rugged smartphone. Better than most for rough use. It costs around Rs 13000.

1. I have been using Nokia mobiles since last 12 years and have faith in Nokia as they got a rugged architecture, good availability of spares and ample service centres. However I am open to other companies subject to above compliance.

Yes, Nokia is a good company with decent phones.

2. What is the difference in Android and Windows 7 OS? Which one is more superior? Which one I should go for?

For a general user, I would recommend WP7 devices. That operating system is smooth as butter. I have a Samsung Focus running WP7 and it is one of the best phones I have seen...

Android is for Power Users. Its not known the best user experience around, but it has extra features which WP7 does not have. Some good things about Android are Extreme Customizability, Wifi Hotspot and USB Tethreing facility, plenty of apps, Flash support, Google services integration.

But for a regular user, WP7 is more than enough.

3. I have come across Nokia Lumia 800, Dell Venue Pro and Dell Streak 5. I have got Dell XPS Studio 1645 laptop which is functioning superb and Dell service too is excellent.

Nokia Lumia 800 is excellent. Dell Venue Pro is a piece of garbage. You choose...

4. I need a phone which is fast and preferably Windows 7.5 with ample memory or support for memory card. What is the difference between a tablet and a smartphone / mobile and which one I should go for? I am new to it so asking you, do I go for a tablet when I have a laptop and mobiles like N95 & 97?

I have a 1st Gen iPad and it is a good toy. Use in on weekends for light browsing... Thats about it... It will replace your laptop in many ways for email, browsing, movies, twitter, facebook, games, etc... Its super fast. Thats why people are avid fans of Apple products... Really good quality. Other cheap tablets can never compete with the user experience iPad provides.

5. You can suggest me from the above mentioned phones or any other phones which you feel may be suitable for me. I would also consider the functionality like a computer in new phone.

A phone can replace your PC to a very small extent... Using it for an extended duration can cause massive battery drain... and what is phone without battery life? But a decent high-end smartphone can replace your laptop, camera, camcorder, mp3 player to some extent...

If you have the budget, then there are 2 WP7 phones I would recommend...
1. Nokia Lumia 800 (soon will be available around 20k to 25k)
2. Samsung Omnia W (available for less than 20k... excellent built quality... aluminium unibody, front facing camera, etc)

The problem with WP7 is that there are very few free apps, sideloading apps is almost impossible.

If using Apps and playing games is your main objective, then I would recommend Android phones
1. Samsung Galaxy S2 (25k to 27k)
2. HTC Incredible S (21k to 23k)
3. Motorola Defy (Very rugged phone, less than 13k)

6. Do you have any reviews about the phones which you will be suggesting; if yes then please send me the links so I too can see for myself?

Nokia Lumia 800 Review -- Nokia Lumia 800 review | The Verge

Samsung Galaxy S2 Review -- Samsung Galaxy S II review -- Engadget

Samsung Omnia W Review -- Samsung Omnia W Review

Alternately, you can search on Youtube.com for reviews of your shortlisted phones...

Cheers!
AndroidFan... ;)

Empirial

Youngling

Nokia 701 : Nokia 701 review: Belles and whistles - GSMArena.com

GERMZ

Banned

Go for the Lumia 800 ! I have already pre ordered my phone after using it for almost an hour at the priority dealer ! The OS is really very smooth and the Facebook integration is excellent :D

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!

Go for the Lumia 800 ! I have already pre ordered my phone after using it for almost an hour at the priority dealer ! The OS is really very smooth and the Facebook integration is excellent :D

Why did you choose Nokia Lumia 800 over Samsung Omnia W?

Omnia W has basically the same (almost same) hardware as Lumia 800. Instead of Polycarbonate Plastic, its body is made of Aluminium. And it also has a front facing camera, which Lumia 800 lacks... It has a slower processor, but it is more than enough for a WP7 device...

Omnia W is available for less than 20k, as far as I have heard...

How much did you pay for the Lumia 800?

andro

Broken In

Choose whatever you may but don't even touch the Dell Venue or the Pro even if someone offers you for peanuts.Just to warn you after peronally banging head with the Dell's..:evil::evil:

aroraanant

Explorer

HTC phones also have a rugged architecture but I think HTC don't have ample service centers and same will be the situation with spare parts but one hardly needs it as I m having 3 HTC phones and I didn't need to go to any service center during 2 and a half year :)
Samsung has ample service centers but their phones are not that rugged

Totally agree with what Androidfan said,I want good apps and games and cutomizations options with loads of features then consider Android and if you are an average users and don't want much apps and games and just want a smooth OS then go for Windows.
I personally suggest everyone to go for Android as it is the only OS which can compete with Apple iOS and it has got loads of feature and one will fall in love with it :)

If you wanna choose any one among these 3 then consider Nokia Lumia 800, the other 3 are not worth to be considered

A tablet comes in a segment between a smartphone and a laptop.One can never use it in place of a mobile/smartphone.If you are happy/satisfied with N97(and not N95 as it is a piece of crap now) and it works fine and you want a big screen basically for browsing and entertainment then only go for a tablet.If you want a tab then go for ipad or can consider samsung 750(only if you want to go for android).
You can also have a look at Samsung Note it is a big smartphone or some say it a mini tab but its really very good.It is available for under 30k

You have not mentioned your budget,but from your post it seems that you don't have any budget problem so I would like to suggest you to go for HTC Sensation XE.
Or mention your budget so that we can suggest you accordingly
Or if you want a big screen you can also have a look at Samsung note

Consider gsmarena.com or phonearena.com for reviews or search for the particular phone on youtube for a video review

7. May I get a permission to ask you a few more questions if I have based on your reply?
Yes you are free to ask :)

GERMZ

Banned

Why did you choose Nokia Lumia 800 over Samsung Omnia W?

Omnia W has basically the same (almost same) hardware as Lumia 800. Instead of Polycarbonate Plastic, its body is made of Aluminium. And it also has a front facing camera, which Lumia 800 lacks... It has a slower processor, but it is more than enough for a WP7 device...

Omnia W is available for less than 20k, as far as I have heard...

How much did you pay for the Lumia 800?

Gorgeous Hardware , Free turn by turn navigation ( extremely important for me , i use Nokia Maps/Drive on a daily basis )

Tried out Mix Radio at the store and it seems to be a very useful addition to the software... Overall i'm getting a great package with the Nokia Lumia. Well worth the amount i'll spend :)

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!

Got any info on how much the new Lumia 800 would cost in India?

GERMZ

Banned

Got any info on how much the new Lumia 800 would cost in India?

I have pre ordered for Rs. 3000 but no price confirmation has been give. It seems to be 30,000 though.. fair enough !

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!

I have pre ordered for Rs. 3000 but no price confirmation has been give. It seems to be 30,000 though.. fair enough !

I feel it won't be less than 25k at launch, given its good specifications.

Nokia will probably want to price this phone as low as possible in order to regain its old stature and brand. A few years ago, all good mobiles had to be either Nokia or HTC. There were no other good players. But the balance of power has shifted to Samsung. Nokia wants its No 1 position back from Samsung in India.

I am sure, by June next year, Lumia 800 would be available around 20k. Nokia will flood the market with Lumias... ;)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

it should get priced same as S2. 30k at launch. 28k after a month. 25k after Lumia 900 shows its face.

lets wait & watch if ppls really accept Nokia's new approach. If Nokia wants its market share back, they better pit Lumia 710 against Neo V rather than pricing it same as Galaxy S+

reniarahim1

Youngling

hhmm..yaa..i am expecting nokia 800 price drop once the pre order ends.

GERMZ

Banned

I feel it won't be less than 25k at launch, given its good specifications.

Nokia will probably want to price this phone as low as possible in order to regain its old stature and brand. A few years ago, all good mobiles had to be either Nokia or HTC. There were no other good players. But the balance of power has shifted to Samsung. Nokia wants its No 1 position back from Samsung in India.

I am sure, by June next year, Lumia 800 would be available around 20k. Nokia will flood the market with Lumias... ;)

But that is by next June ! We're buying the phone right now :) So after using the phone at the store i'm more than happy spending that amount of cash for the quality i am getting !

For those who PM'd , i am putting the pre-order link here itself : Book the new Nokia Lumia 800

I read somewhere that a small fraction of the Nokia Lumia 800 phones had a minor battery issue. But Nokia is going to release an update for it pretty soon.

Here's a link for the same. Lumia 800 Battery issues: Nokia’s official statement « World of Phones

Top Bottom