Nokia India to launch take-back campaign from Jan 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThinkFree

Technomancer
NEW DELHI: Nokia India on Wednesday said that it will launch its 'take-back' campaign from January 1. The take-back campaign is aimed at
educating mobile phone users on the importance of recycling eWaste and will be rolled out in phases across the country. As a part of this initiative, Nokia encourage mobile phone users to dispose their used handsets and accessories such as charges and handsets, regardless of the brand, at any of the recycling bins set up across Nokia Priority Dealers and Nokia Care Centers.

A Nokia survey across 13 countries has showed that only a mere 17% of the cellular users in India were aware that the handset could be recycled. The awareness quotient was the lowest in India. "The company will be planting a tree for every handset dropped into these recycling bins and giving out a surprise gift as well," Nokia said in a statement.

The highlight of the survey was that despite the fact that people on average have each owned around five phones, very few of these are being recycled once they are no longer used. Only 3% said they had recycled their old phone. Instead the majority, 44%, are simply being kept at homes never used. Others are giving their mobiles another life in different ways passing on their old phones to friends or family or selling their used devices. Globally, half of those surveyed didn't know phones could be recycled like this, with awareness lowest in India at 17% and Indonesia
at 29%, and highest in the UK at 80% and 66% in Finland and Sweden.

"The take-back campaign aims to increase awareness of the concept of recycling. If people no longer need their mobile devices, they can bring it back to Nokia for recycling and it can put it to good use - 100 percent of the materials in the phones can be recovered and used to make new products or generate energy," the company statement added.

According to Nokia India's VP and managing director D Shivakumar, the campaign offered the company an unique opportunity to make an impact that goes beyond its own business. "Our vision is a world where everyone being connected can contribute to sustainable development. As responsible leaders, we want to drive best practices in our industry. Achieving environmental leadership means minimizing our own environmental footprint and encouraging recycling is a step in this direction," he added.

Source: *economictimes.indiatimes.com/News_...as_take-back_campaign/articleshow/3917898.cms

red_devil

Back!
lol they expect us to just "throw" our handsets into their bins and for doing that we get a "surprise gift" :rolleyes:

[PS : yesterday my dad bought a phone and the "surprise gift" he got was a coffee mug (available for Rs 10 in the market) ...so wouldn't be surprised to see their "surprise gift" to be a handout of all the nokia products :p ]

red_devil

Back!
^ AFAIK no one cares for the environment enough to just throw their phones into their bin...
c'mon if Nokia cared that much, they could've atleast had a BUY BACK and not A TAKE BACK campaign !!

OP
T

ThinkFree

Technomancer
^ AFAIK no one cares for the environment enough to just throw their phones into their bin...
c'mon if Nokia cared that much, they could've atleast had a BUY BACK and not A TAKE BACK campaign !!

Don't have any info about the exchange offer nokia had around Diwali? They won't give you more than Rs. 500 for your phone .

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
is it for environment or get cheap hardware , plastic , other things ??

like home appliance companies get ur old ones and give new ones !!!

anyway sounds very environmentally caring...

nowadays... nobody can be trusted... :))

red_devil

Back!
Don't have any info about the exchange offer nokia had around Diwali? They won't give you more than Rs. 500 for your phone .

I'd rather sell my phone for 500 than give it thinking i'm gonna do wonders to the world...

<and AFAIK, a lot of people would agree with me>

@jojothedragon exactly my thoughts:)

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
jojothedragon said:
Who wants to recycle their cellphone when they can earn some bucks by selling it?
I have a Nokia 6600 from 2004. It's screen shows all white colour, but I can recieve calls.
Will you buy it?
-------------------
I think this campaign is for non-working state phones also. Why? The recycling potential of both is same; working and non-working.

These Nokia people you are talkin about mostly has done 0 to the environment. They are doing so to get more publicity and nothing else.

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
n6300 said:
^ oh so u intend to help out environment ??

good. the world will become such a good place to live in..
Exactly. If I have a non-working phone which I cannot sell and no-one will buy, I will happily give it for recycling. :)

blondie

Broken In
Good, I was searching for something like this, I have 4 dead phones, I will happily put them away.

kapsicum

spice it up
this is basically a way to get back old handsets to their factory, which will end up putting Old working parts in upcoming Handsets ... which i believe is good eco-friendly initiative but May be Unreliable & Vulnerable to faults in Nokia's New offerings

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I got one Nokia 6610i which is not being used. I'll be happy to give it to Nokia. :)

OP
T

ThinkFree

Technomancer
Nokia to plant sapling for every old handset returned

BANGALORE: Global telecom major Nokia India will plant a sapling for every old mobile handset or accessory deposited with its dealers or customer
care centres in this tech hub from Jan 1, the company said Wednesday.

"We want to educate mobile users on the importance of recycling e-waste. The 'take back' campaign will be rolled out across the country in phases, beginning from Bangalore Thursday," Nokia India managing director D. Shivakumar said in a statement.

Users can drop handsets of any brand and devices such as chargers of any make in the recycling bins at Nokia centres. The company will plant a sapling for every handset returned to spread greenery and protect ecology.

As the world's fastest-growing mobile market, India has the second largest subscriber base of 300 million and adds eight-nine million subscribers every month. With the introduction of 3G services soon, the number of old handsets is set to increase manifold when users go for the upgraded 3G versions.

A Nokia consumer survey across 13 countries, including India, says people on average have each owned at least four-five handsets, but few were recycled.

"Globally, half of those surveyed didn't know phones could be recycled, with awareness lowest in India at 17 percent, while it is highest (80 percent) in Britain," Shivakumar said.

"If every Nokia user recycled just one unused phone, the discarded phone will live on in something new, as the material is used to make items like park benches, utensils etc," he added.

*economictimes.indiatimes.com/Earth/Nokia_to_plant_sapling/articleshow/3923261.cms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom