Noise in Hard Disk...

Status
Not open for further replies.

shariq_pj

Broken In
Hi Guys...

I have a Seagate 80 GB SATA Hard disk in my Pentium 4 2.93 Ghz system..

The system is absolutely fine... But right from the day i bought it there is some grinding noise right whenever the hard disk activity light flashes...

Is this normal or is it that there can b problem in the near future....?

choudang

Padawan
i have noticed that problem that seagete 80GB SATA makes some noises. its not a normal syndrome. take a back up of your important files.

rachitar

Journeyman
Backup the data
If its under warranty get it replaced,not fixed but replaced immediately before you get bad sectors

praka123

left this forum longback
am also getting the scratchy noise from seagate Sata 80GB.may be i need to get a replacement?

er

Broken In
oh! scratching noises are not always a good sign.

Its a sure sign that your HDD is going to take a dive one fine day shortly.
(no offence,please)

If it is under warranty return it to the dealer and ask for a replacement.

Just one more check, it is not likely to happen but do check:
Is the HDD properly seated in the cabinet's rail mounts?

I had the same problem of scratching noise with my old segate 20 GB and then it went "plunk" one day.....but by then I had purchased a new HDD..so I had escaped!!

nitnew

Broken In
shariq_pj said:
Hi Guys...

I have a Seagate 80 GB SATA Hard disk in my Pentium 4 2.93 Ghz system..

The system is absolutely fine... But right from the day i bought it there is some grinding noise right whenever the hard disk activity light flashes...

Is this normal or is it that there can b problem in the near future....?
You have good configuration, Fan of processor makes noice first and about the sata HDD, two or three time it makes noice. once system is powered then it is switched on and when windows loaded. the last noice is optional as the speed difference is high as compared to processor so it makes noice, their is no technical problem, you also confirm from your vendor as no one want to take any risk

OP
shariq_pj

shariq_pj

Broken In
I'll do as u guys suggested... Let's keep the finger crossed...

Does any other out there have a Seagate SATA and faced a hdd crash...?

Coz, I had heard from one of my friends that Seagate Drives are rather noisy...!

praka123

left this forum longback
Oh MY ...
:D Hey guys i ran seatools
*www.seagate.com/support/seatools/
and found no errors in my sata seagate Regarding noise,most of the cases,that was due to ...The reason is that on the SATA drives AAM (automatic acoustic management) is not enabled because of some royalty or legal reason..

link:
*forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/410186.html

====== Hard Drive ======
#Model ST380013AS
Max. Transfer Mode UDMA 6 (ATA/133)
Active Transfer Mode UDMA 5 (ATA/100)
S.M.A.R.T. Status Enabled
Size 76 GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom