No VGA detcted!Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amitava83

Broken In
Guys,
Most weird problem!After updating my Graphics crad with the latest drivers,my machine gives One Long,Three Short Beeps while booting,which according to my Mobo manual indicates No VGA Detected,and then freezes completely.
Now,the strange part is that when I press the Power Button for some time,the machine recovers from its freezed state and boots normally.

Also,this does NOT occur everytime I switch on my PC.It is random and erratic

Is it a problem with the corrupt driver or my PCI-E slot or my card itself??

To note:When my PC boots finally in an OS(Vista.XP),I can do everything including playng games for long hours without any crashes or freeze ups.
My mobo has got two other PCI-E slots of the same config as the one the graphics card is currently fitted into.

I'm at my wits end.Please help.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Guys,
Most weird problem!After updating my Graphics crad with the latest drivers,my machine gives One Long,Three Short Beeps while booting,which according to my Mobo manual indicates No VGA Detected,and then freezes completely.
Now,the strange part is that when I press the Power Button for some time,the machine recovers from its freezed state and boots normally.

Also,this does NOT occur everytime I switch on my PC.It is random and erratic

Is it a problem with the corrupt driver or my PCI-E slot or my card itself??

To note:When my PC boots finally in an OS(Vista.XP),I can do everything including playng games for long hours without any crashes or freeze ups.
My mobo has got two other PCI-E slots of the same config as the one the graphics card is currently fitted into.

I'm at my wits end.Please help.
It cannot be a driver issue as when you boot the drivers are not even loaded. My guess is one of these is the culprits:

1) The gfx card rom (or some call it the bios) was altered in some way.

2) The card is not seated in the slot properly.

3) Either the card contacts or the slot contacts haf gone bad.

4) You changed some options in your mobo bios which broke something.

You may wanna clean the contacts and try reseating the card.

OP
A

Amitava83

Broken In
It cannot be a driver issue as when you boot the drivers are not even loaded. My guess is one of these is the culprits:

1) The gfx card rom (or some call it the bios) was altered in some way.

2) The card is not seated in the slot properly.

3) Either the card contacts or the slot contacts haf gone bad.

4) You changed some options in your mobo bios which broke something.

You may wanna clean the contacts and try reseating the card.

I dont even know about the gfx Card ROM.How can it be altered??
I have to check Point 2.
How to verify Point 3?
I did nothing as suggested in Point 4.

OP
A

Amitava83

Broken In
Can anyone tell me urgently is there any difference in

speeds/transfer rates or anything whatsoever between the two PCI-E

X16 slots((one blue and one black) in ASUS P5Q-E mobo?Or are they

exactly identical.?

This is because I need to shift my Gfx card from blue to the black

slot and I'm worried about a performance downgrade.

OP
A

Amitava83

Broken In

exactly identical.?

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

exactly identical.?

The first slot runs at x16 speed (the mezzanine slot--closest to the North Bridge heatsink). This is where your graphic card should be placed.

Also:
"This full ATX mainboard comes with 2 PCI and 3 full length PCIe x16 slots. You can run Dual 8x CrossFire using the Blue and 2nd left most brown coloured PCIe slot. The leftmost PCIe slot run at PCIe x4."

So when you plug in 2 cards, the lanes will auto arrange to x8 x8. Else both slots run at x16. The far most runs at x4.

You were not facing this issue before updating the driver. Are you using the 9.6 or the 9.7 (non-WHQL signed) beta's..????

On which slot is your 4870 placed as of now. Keep it in the mezzanine if you can.

Is the BIOS at stock..? Any OC done on the 4870..?

OP
A

Amitava83

Broken In
The first slot runs at x16 speed (the mezzanine slot--closest to the North Bridge heatsink). This is where your graphic card should be placed.

Also:
"This full ATX mainboard comes with 2 PCI and 3 full length PCIe x16 slots. You can run Dual 8x CrossFire using the Blue and 2nd left most brown coloured PCIe slot. The leftmost PCIe slot run at PCIe x4."

So when you plug in 2 cards, the lanes will auto arrange to x8 x8. Else both slots run at x16. The far most runs at x4.

You were not facing this issue before updating the driver. Are you using the 9.6 or the 9.7 (non-WHQL signed) beta's..????

On which slot is your 4870 placed as of now. Keep it in the mezzanine if you can.

Is the BIOS at stock..? Any OC done on the 4870..?

Thanks for replying.
Well,I had faced cold boot issues earlier before updating the drivers.But at that time there were NO BIOS beeps.I had posted that problem in this forum only.*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1138365#post1138365

However,now I get No VGA Detected error beep(One Long,Three Short),but NOT ALWAYS(which is the most frustating aspect)

My gfx card is placed in the Blue slot,nearest to the Northbridge.No OC has been done.

My qs is,if I shift the Gfx card to Black slot from the blue(for testing purpose),will there be ANY difference in speed,even minutely???Both slots run at 16X speed but the Mobo manual says single Gfx card to be placed in Blue slot for better performance.

Please clarify my doubt.

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
If you have two PCI-Express cards, then insert in anyone them. If you have two PCI-E cards both will be of same color. If the color differs, then you are focusing on a different slot may be, a PCI slot or a AGP card.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Thanks for replying.
Well,I had faced cold boot issues earlier before updating the drivers.But at that time there were NO BIOS beeps.I had posted that problem in this forum only.*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1138365#post1138365

However,now I get No VGA Detected error beep(One Long,Three Short),but NOT ALWAYS(which is the most frustating aspect)

My gfx card is placed in the Blue slot,nearest to the Northbridge.No OC has been done.

My qs is,if I shift the Gfx card to Black slot from the blue(for testing purpose),will there be ANY difference in speed,even minutely???Both slots run at 16X speed but the Mobo manual says single Gfx card to be placed in Blue slot for better performance.

Please clarify my doubt.

Your first two slots operate at x16 speed IF there is only one card. But if you xFire two cards..then they will auto-arrange two x8 x8.

So in theory it should not make a difference which slot you plug one singular card into it will operate at x16 speed.

The reason web sites recommend the first slot, cause it is slightly closer to the channelling northbride --- to which the CPU talks to. But that much of a physical difference hardly makes a difference in the electronics world. Use any slot you are comfortable with.

Any luck with the 'VGA not detected' problem..?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom