no shutdown/restart/ctrl+alt+del.. pls help. urgent!!! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

legolas

Padawan
hi,

i was downloading a file, when my computer got hanged and i had to reset... then for a while my hardisk was not detected(160 GB seagate). i then changed the power supply and everything worked fine. but now i find that i cudnt get the task manager window with "ctrl+alt+del". nothing happens with that.. i had to rightclick on taskbar to get the task manager. and even if i hit the shutdown button or restart button... nothing happens! pls help me... thk u.

/legolas

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
may be some system file got corrupted
go to command prompt and type "sfc /scanonce" and reboot

-----
alibi

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Or try to repair ur windows installation!

Boot using windows XP CD and select to repair existing windows installation...

__Virus__

Ambassador of Buzz
if u can access system restore (unlikely) then do it....sfc /scannow but unlikely again.... do one thing...

modify the 'shell=explorer.exe" entry in one of the files > win.ini or system.ini i dont remember exact file name....this system has wingays 2k..so cant help....and after that modify the entry to shell=cmd.com and then sfc /scannow shall help

2) if explorer is up and running end task explorer.exe and new task cmd ...that shd b easier than first one....hope it helps

OP
L

legolas

Padawan
sorry guys, but i cudnt withstand it and formatted and installed a fresh copy... there is no prbs now! thks for ur suggestions thou.

/legolas

__Virus__

Ambassador of Buzz
legolas said:
sorry guys, but i cudnt withstand it and formatted and installed a fresh copy... there is no prbs now! thks for ur suggestions thou.

/legolas

best thing one cud ever do ;)

OP
L

legolas

Padawan
@virus, its this way rather... "the only best option one has to get over the bugs of the OS without developing any psycho malfunction in the brain by trying to correct it! :D

/legolas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom