No display :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skillz

Broken In
Hello...

Few days back i post an thread ''Need replacement'' of my motherboard (G965) for old Core2Duo E6400..

So, i bought Gigabye G41-Mt-S2.. as i didnt have much choice here in Guwahati.. :| Few days back i got an graphics card which looks like new from my brothers friend XFX 5750 1GB DDR5, but when i put it on my mobo there is no display ?????? :( i tried everything.. tried disabling the onboard graphics on bios.. but its useless.. no display... :evil: getting frustrated now..

Have i missed something ???? or card is gone kaput ????

Btw i got FSP SagaII 500W psu.

Please reply.. :)

did you connect the vga adapter in the graphics card port or motherboard port ? if there are any pci connectors on gpu for power.. have you connected them ?

OP
S

Skillz

Broken In
yes i did connect vga adapter and tried on both the port of the graphics card.. but still no display... and yes its powered by 6 pin connector..

nbaztec

Master KOD3R
Is the onboard chipset working? If no, might be a mobo fault. If yes, is the GPU seated right? If yes, did you disable on-board chipset? You did.
Guessing a bad GPU. Get it RMAed ASAP.

OP
S

Skillz

Broken In
yes onboard is working fine.. i have pressed hard as possible to make it seat into the slot.. but nothing.. Is there any compatibility issue with the motherboard with 2.1 express pcie card ?? coz i will a new graphics card in a week, if that doenst work also i will be doomed

i did tried disabling the video from bios but nothng- Gigabyte GA-G41MT-S2 | Manual - Page 29

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
another way is to install the GPU and then reset CMOS (just short the pins using a screwdriver). on next boot, BIOS will autodetect the GPU and will set it as primary display.

OP
S

Skillz

Broken In
short the pins uisng a screwdriver .. isnt that a risky buisness ?? just pulling out the battery wont do ???

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
its safe. but don't short while the system is powered. and actually its easy to short the pins than to pull out the battery. i have done it many times.

OP
S

Skillz

Broken In
i never done it before.. i dont want to take risk which i dont know.. i will remove the battery and clear the cmos, thats seems easy for me :)

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
But ideally this should not be required. Modern BIOS detects if AGP/PCI-E slot is occupied or not and by default prefer the Faster Option i.e. Dedicated GFX.

nbaztec

Master KOD3R
It ain't required, but anyway IMO there's a separate 3 pin header we need to short to reset BIOS & not the battery.

OP
S

Skillz

Broken In
Ok i have just shorted out the pins to clear the cmos with graphics card seated into the slot.. but sadly nothing.. no signal.. i am now 99.99% sure that the card is dead.. :(

Minion

Conversation Architect
Simple solution Skillz go to bios look for initialise to pci first you will definitly find it out set it to PCI or PCI-E.I can't remember exactly where to find this setting.

OP
S

Skillz

Broken In
I went through bios and by default ''Enable if No Ext Peg'' was selected which activates onboard graphics if no pcie graphics is installed. Secondly, in ''Intiation First display'' option i chose PEG(Sets PCIE graphics card as first display), though the sytem boots fine.. only no display..

I want to know is there any compatibility issue with 2.1 express card ??

vikz

Broken In
If your motherboard's PCIE X16 slot is PCIE 1.0 or 1.1 and your graphics card is PCIE 2.1, in most cases, it will not work. From what I've read, PCIE 2.1 is backward compatible with PCIE 2.0 only while PCIE 2.0 is backward compatible with 1.1 and 1.0

Check the motherboard and graphics card PCIE versions.

I have the same problem with a P5N-E SLI motherboard which is PCIE 1.1 and my graphics card which is PCIE 2.1 (MSI 6850).

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
If your motherboard's PCIE X16 slot is PCIE 1.0 or 1.1 and your graphics card is PCIE 2.1, in most cases, it will not work.

yup. there looks to be some kind of compatibility issue with PCIE 2.1 GPU being plugged into a PCIE 1.0 slot.

OP
S

Skillz

Broken In
yes thats what i have read over google.. i dont know what version it is but i am sure its not PCIE 2.0. If thats so, then i am in big sh**

So, let me guess i got 2 options, either change my whole motherboard again or i buy PCIE 2.0 graphics card. i am i correct ?

and yes the card XFX 5750 which i took from my brother is a 2.1 express card.. :/

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
yes thats what i have read over google.. i dont know what version it is but i am sure its not PCIE 2.0. If thats so, then i am in big sh**

So, let me guess i got 2 options, either change my whole motherboard again or i buy PCIE 2.0 graphics card. i am i correct ?

and yes the card XFX 5750 which i took from my brother is a 2.1 express card.. :/

G41 chipset means PCIE 1.1 slot. and your GPU is PCIE 2.1. i still expect it to work.

*www.intel.com/content/dam/staging/image/Laura/chipset-block-diagrams/G41_block-diagram_ich7_450x408.jpg

vikz

Broken In

Check if there is a Bios update for your motherboard at Gigabyte's site. If you're lucky, Gigabyte might have released a bios update to fix the PCIE 1.1 and PCIE 2.1 issue

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 775 - GA-G41MT-S2 (rev. 1.3)

Latest bios version is F6, what's your version?

OP
S

Skillz

Broken In
The motherboard i am using is 1.5 revised version..
No i havnt install any update for bios, its been less than a month i bought this motherboard.. and i have checked its homesite, in the latest F6 bios update the description is just Lan update, so do you think it will be any help ?? if it helps i am willing to give it a one last shot... So, please tell me the procedure to flash my bios..

Thanx :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom