Nikon D-SLR buying advice.

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
^its open for all...

I have done a bit of R&D & found out this points

- The “focal length” of a lens determines the angle of view and the size of the image compared to that of the object. Early camera lenses had a fixed focal length dividing them into three main categories: wide-angle lenses, normal lenses and telephoto lenses. From left to right, the focal length is longer for each lens. For easy understanding, your old 35mm film camera that you used to take in your holidays, had a wide-angle lens that allowed you to photograph vast landscapes or to fit your entire family in one single frame. A telephoto lens is the one that sport and safari photographers use to capture details from a considerable distance.

- What is the real meaning of the “X” optical zoom? The explanation is quite simple. Focal length is measured in millimeters (mm) and the lowest the number is, the wider is the angle of the lens. As zoom lenses have variable focal lengths, two numbers are used to characterize them. These numbers consist of the lowest and the highest focal lengths the lens is capable of. For example, a 17-40 mm lens is capable of providing all the focal lengths between 17 and 40 mm.

- it’s obvious that the 17-40 mm lens has an approximate 2,3X optical zoom (40 divided by 17 equals 2,35294118). It’s that simple.

- Let’s say, you have a 18-200 mm zoom lens. Now, that we know the formula, we can easily calculate that the lens has a approximate 200/18 = 11X optical zoom

- I’ll tell you that some of that huge telephoto lenses that professional photographers use to photograph subjects on the other end on the football filed have no more than 1X optical zoom? That’s right! A 600mm telephoto lens has the same minimum and maximum focal length so the calculations will look like this: 600/600 = 1X optical zoom. Also, a 100-400mm zoom lens has only a 4x optical zoom although it can bring the image much closer than the 18-200 mm lens.

- You can now be sure that the “X” optical zoom is no more than the zoom factor of the lens, and has nothing to do with magnification factor of the lens.A zoom lens has a lower image quality than a fixed focal length lens

source: *news.soft32.com/the-truth-about-the-x-optical-zoom_1958.html

Last edited:

sujoyp

Grand Master
Didnt I told all these things already...anyway happy that u searched internet for that...I just cant guaranty that I am telling 100% correct maybe 80% is correct :)

@sounava...please jump in...u have much better knowledge then me...

Sounava

In the zone
Zangetsu:

After reading all the replies I came to the conclusion that you are an absolute beginner and are not yet clear of the basics. It is okay, we all were like that only. My suggestion would be to read, read and read and gain sufficient knowledge about the different aspects of photography and then only think of investing so much money in a DSLR system. I am telling "system" because whatever may be your initial plan, you will continue to pour money into the system if you go for a DSLR.

Photography requires dedication of a LOT of your time. I feel one needs to know the technicalities like the English alphabets so that you can effectively capture a photograph. If you stumble with the alphabets, you will face great difficulties in writing an essay.

Although it is true that knowing the technicalities only, and buying costly gear, one will not be able to take great photographs. You need to have the inner eye. For example, we all know to write, but we all will never become great authors / poets.

My genuine suggestion is please spend the next 1 or 2 months only digesting the basics, then come back again and buy your camera based on the options available at that time. Believe me, your joy will be much more when you will buy a cam after having sufficient knowledge in the subject.

A good basic link to start with is this:
Ben's Newbie Guide to Digital SLR Photography - Canon Digital Photography Forums
You will be able to digest this in a few minutes.

Then move on to this:
Digital Photography Tutorials

Another thing, can you tell me what camera do you presently use?

And a footnote:
50mm is the "normal" focal length like sujoyp said, but note that a 50mm lens will be equivalent to 75mm in Nikon and 80mm in Canon DSLRs. (Not talking about the top end full frame). So a 50mm lens will act as a short telephoto. And not at all suitable for indoor in general, unless you want to take portraits indoor :p
The 35mm f/1.8 from Nikon is a good option for indoor use because of the large aperture. 35mm will give a 52mm equivalent field of view.

Offtopic: Sujoyp, I bought the 55-200VR last week :mrgreen: :D
So now you and me have the same setup except the body :)

sujoyp

Grand Master
congrats sounava...how do u find it...isnt it bit short for telephoto but its very good performer

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

sujoyp u suggested this model right

Nikon India Private Limited
it has f/3.5-5.6 focal points

how do I understand the focal points jargon....how to make out that the listed focal points for each lens do what???

also what do think about this lens is it good zoom lens
*www.nikon.co.in/productitem.php?pid=1380-699c05a518

& pls give me details about other good zoom lenses from sigma,tamcor etc

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
camera investment in a particular brand is also a future investment in lenses, you need to think about how you are gonna gear up your camera in the future, this includes lenses, filters, flash lights, batteries and other paraphernalia in this regard, the sigma / tamcorwt lenses are ok, and the build quality may not be as good as the official lenses, but they are very usable need to consider what kind of service/opportunities nikon and canon offer in India you also need a shop that understands your long term investment in camera equipment youll get deals in this way its better to stick to one supplier for all your camera needs
plan out the lenses, this is pretty vital as you can try out a few techniques and move on to others, you dont just need one, you need all of them, youll get top notch photos, but this means you wont be able to shoot a bird and a butterfly without changing lenses, and the lenses are the biggest advantage over prosumers anyway

sujoyp

Grand Master
ok 1st its Tamron and not Tamcor:grin:

@Zangetsu yaah u r right its the same 18-105 model I am talking about.

Since u have variable focal point in a lens thats 18-105 or 18-55 so u have variable aperture too

U can easily make out that when ur lens is at 18mm the aperture value can go from f/3.5 to f22 but when u r at 105 mm your aperture value start from f/5.6 and go upto f/36 hare is the sheet for 18-105 model

Maximum Minimum
18mm f/3.5 f/22
24mm f/4 f/25
35mm f/4.5 f/29
50mm f/5 f/32
70mm f/5.3 f/36
105mm f/5.6 f/36

u can find similar sheet for any lens

the 55-300 VR zoom lens is superb...and it sells for around 18k in market..If u have the money u can get it

I will tell u in afternoon about focal jargons:)

Sigma tamron lenses have some or other problems like the cheap ones have no VR and some color fringings and barrel distortions..but for that money its very usable

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

U can easily make out that when ur lens is at 18mm the aperture value can go from f/3.5 to f22 but when u r at 105 mm your aperture value start from f/5.6 and go upto f/36 hare is the sheet for 18-105 model

Maximum Minimum
18mm f/3.5 f/22
24mm f/4 f/25
35mm f/4.5 f/29
50mm f/5 f/32
70mm f/5.3 f/36
105mm f/5.6 f/36

u can find similar sheet for any lens
aperture means the rotating part of the lens..
ya we can make out coz its written on the lens...

the 55-300 VR zoom lens is superb...and it sells for around 18k in market..If u have the money u can get it
& in website they called it as super telephoto lens...:-D

sure buddy :grin: I need it...

The Raynox DCR-250 is not available in India?Will I get it Mumbai Shops?

Aren't there any Macro lenses from Nikkor which are close in pricing to DCR-250?

sujoyp

Grand Master
if u have 9k now u can purchase a used 60mm macro from jjmehta forum...its on sale..

aperture is the rotating part of lens..he he he:grin:...

yaa some lens have aperture ring but basically aperture is the lens opening...take example of 50mm 1.8

at 1.8 lens opening would be completely open...and at f22 the hole would be soo small that u can barely see it..

aperture control also means to control the light passing through the lens..the bigger opening(f1.8) more light will enter...smaller opening (f22) less light enters.

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

^^I have highlighted in Blue in post#21 above.

so Optical Zoom is marketing gimmick.

but still I wonder 600/600mm = 1X & it can click a long range football???

sujoyp

Grand Master
just leave optical zoom for point and shoot cams...learn more about folcal lenght and m in SLRs

yaah 600 mm would have a great range although I never heard anyone using any...max I have heard aboyt 500mm
a prime lens wont have any zoom or magnification at all soo 600/600 is waste of time :D

but still if u want u can always count 35mm in dx format as 52mm which is perfect eye view...soo if 35mm is 0x then 600/35 around 15-18x I suppose :) thats the magnification

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

DX sensors r smaller sensors then Fx sensors...its technicality is too much...but I can say that above 2 lac almost all DSLRs have FX sensors or full frame sensors...
And the fx lenses can be used on those fx cameras as well as our normal DSLRs with Dx sensors or cropped sensor
but Dx lenses r made for small sensors so can not be used on fx DSLRs
DSLR with FX costs more than 2lacs... :shock:

A nikkor 50mm1.8 AFD lens is an fx lens but your kit 18-55 is a dx lens
and its not only with nikon but with all companies

u have this FX lens.how much it costed u?
are FX lens costlier than DX lens?

I m waiting :grin:

sujoyp

Grand Master
yaah just check the price of canon 1DsMark III or Nikon D3X or D3S they all cost more then 2 lac

Naah this is the cheapest FX lens :) and yes most FX compatible lenses r slightly costlier then DX but most of the good lenses r FX compatible too

Ooh I forgot about the focal jargons...wait 10 mins

focal length

1. look at the pics in this website the example of effect of focal length is shown
Focal Length and F-Stop Explanation

u see in that example 24mm is wide but far away...much farther then actual.
*www.paragon-press.com/lens/24mm.jpg
then see the pic at 50mm that is similar view ur eye see and magnification is 0
*www.paragon-press.com/lens/50mm.jpg
Then jump to 200mm now image is magnified but field of view is very narrow u can see only the mountains but no more greenery around
*www.paragon-press.com/lens/200mm.jpg
At 1200 mm the field of view is narrowest and u can see only a part of mountain
*www.paragon-press.com/lens/1200mm.jpg

this way as the mm increases field of view decreases and zoom or magnification increases

Now in DX SLRs we have a crop factor that makes the actual mm change. like if we have 18-55 kit lens but in DX format the same lens become 27-82 in canons coz of 1.6x crop factor..this is due to the sensor crop factor
*www.the-digital-picture.com/Images/Other/Field-of-View-Crop-Factor.gif
but now thats a bit different topic..

ok any question about this:)

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

^Thanx a ton buddy

so the higher the mm the high the magnification we get.

if we can zoom so much with 800mm lens that can't we use the same lens for zooming
an insect?

I have checked the review of A nikkor 50mm1.8 AFD....& everybody say that is super sharp
I will buy it.so now video recording will be good on D3100...

Is the concept of focal length same as when we use a magnifying glass to read ...there our eye is the sensor lens & mag glass is the varying focal length???

Last edited:

sujoyp

Grand Master
so the higher the mm the high the magnification we get.

but also remember the field of view decreses soo landscapes do not come well:smile:
if we can zoom so much with 800mm lens that can't we use the same lens for zooming
an insect?
No because every lens have a minimum focus distance...like 50mm have near to 1 meter 18-55 also have nearly 1 meter , 55-200 have 2 meters...soo if suppose I need to take a pic of an insect how will I take it from 2-3 meters away...I would barely able to see it from there...soo the macro lens like 90mm or 100mm have a focus distance of 10-12 inches

I have checked the review of A nikkor 50mm1.8 AFD....& everybody say that is super sharp
I will buy it.so now video recording will be good on D3100...

its a really good and sharp lens but remember it wont autofocus and u have to do it manually which will not be soo easy...also while taking video u have to continuously focus manually...I didnt found it easy

Is the concept of focal length same as when we use a magnifying glass to read ...there our eye is the sensor lens & mag glass is the varying focal length???
yes u can say much like that;-)

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

No because every lens have a minimum focus distance...like 50mm have near to 1 meter 18-55 also have nearly 1 meter , 55-200 have 2 meters...soo if suppose I need to take a pic of an insect how will I take it from 2-3 meters away...I would barely able to see it from there...soo the macro lens like 90mm or 100mm have a focus distance of 10-12 inches

ok...lets take an example
Lens A : 55-200
Lens B: 90mm Macro Lens

if I set the focal length of Lens A to 90mm then now both Lens A & Lens B has the same focal point...but still Lens A wont take macro like lens B?

sujoyp

Grand Master
ok...lets take an example
Lens A : 55-200
Lens B: 90mm Macro Lens

if I set the focal length of Lens A to 90mm then now both Lens A & Lens B has the same focal point...but still Lens A wont take macro like lens B?

No by word macro it means the 90mm have a very close focus distance like 10inch soo when you try to focus a insect from 10 inch it will look big and will be in focus
in 55-200 the insect will look big on your viewfinder or screen but you will not be able to focus on it anyways coz its focus distance is 2 meters...:)

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

No by word macro it means the 90mm have a very close focus distance like 10inch soo when you try to focus a insect from 10 inch it will look big and will be in focus
in 55-200 the insect will look big on your viewfinder or screen but you will not be able to focus on it anyways coz its focus distance is 2 meters...:)

u mean 55-200 the insect photo will come blurry (out of focus).
& also if we reduce the distance from 2meters photos will be out of focus?

sujoyp

Grand Master
u mean 55-200 the insect photo will come blurry (out of focus).
& also if we reduce the distance from 2meters photos will be out of focus?

with 55-200 insect will not come blurry but it will not be that sharp to be cropped for macro purpose..I tried

and yes if u decrese the distance u wont be able to focus...thats the problem

....u can just take some nice flowershots with zoom lens..actually it depends on the purpose of the lens...even some lens have a macro mode which when activated it become closefocus lens and can take descent macros

Top Bottom