Re: Nikon or Canon

According to the Specification.. both r almost similar
My choice is Nikkon....
A Professional Camera..always Nikkon will b my 1st choice
Take some suggestion on performance, before purchase

sujoyp

Grand Master

Sensor wise D5100 better then 550D but feature and video is better in 550D...

Grip is always better in Nikon

Canons are mostly lighter in weight

Amhuinn

Right off the assembly line

I would say that Canon 550D is best because It is light wait camera . Moreover , Its picture quality is better than D550 . I would suggest Canon D550 .

Last edited:

sumit05

In the zone

+1 for Canon D550.
Check the review here Canon EOS 550D / Rebel T2i review: verdict, 550D / T2i vs 500D / T1i vs 50D vs Nikon D5000 vs D90 vs Sony A500 / A550 | Cameralabs

sujoyp

Grand Master

+1 for Canon D550.
Check the review here Canon EOS 550D / Rebel T2i review: verdict, 550D / T2i vs 500D / T1i vs 50D vs Nikon D5000 vs D90 vs Sony A500 / A550 | Cameralabs

Nope that review is useless now coz nikons new sensor is superb which is in D3100, D5100 and D7000...and D5100 have same sensor a D7000 soo chances r that picture quality of D5100 may be better

But overall I think canon 550D wins

Sounava

In the zone

Guys please suggest which one is better & why?
Canon 550D or Nikkon D5100?

Go to a store, take both the cameras in hand, fiddle a little, try some shots, buy the one which feels more comfortable to you.

sujoyp

Grand Master
@sonava....that way he will definitely get Nikon...actual in hand exp of nikon is much better..people love it

Sounava

In the zone
@sonava....that way he will definitely get Nikon...actual in hand exp of nikon is much better..people love it
If that is so then let him take it! If his hand is smaller he may like the Canon too. He may like the button placements in Canon better too. He may like the menu in Canon better too. Or maybe he may like the flip screen in Nikon too.

I am telling all these coz both the cameras are equally good, no definite winner, so he must take the one which "feels" better to him after handling. This is your tool towards creating photographs, so you better buy which makes you feel better, than merely running towards specs. :p You never know whether one will like Nikon or Canon better! :smile:

ITTechPerson

Search for Adventure

Go to a store, take both the cameras in hand, fiddle a little, try some shots, buy the one which feels more comfortable to you.

Like it....:smile:

When both the models has a very little different in spech & performance, u should choose whichever is more comfortable to you.

sujoyp

Grand Master
Naah Specwise 550D beats D5100 practicaly.

Like no issue with inbody motor or not....but almost all canon lens will work.

Video recording is one of the best in 550D

Sounava

In the zone
Naah Specwise 550D beats D5100 practicaly.

Like no issue with inbody motor or not....but almost all canon lens will work.

Video recording is one of the best in 550D
I disagree that specwise 550D beats D5100. If you say 5 points in favour of 550D, you will also be able to say 5 points in favour of D5100. Like I said, there is no definite winner.

About the 2 so called "advantages" you mentioned in 550D:

1. In body motor factor: Only advantage he will get is by using the 50mm f/1.8 lens of Canon. Otherwise, you will now practically get all lenses with built in motor variant.

2. I will like to tell you that video recording in D5100 is also superb, if not better than 550D.

r4gs

In the zone
1. In body motor factor: Only advantage he will get is by using the 50mm f/1.8 lens of Canon. Otherwise, you will now practically get all lenses with built in motor variant.

I'm not sure I understand. My 50mm f/1.8 has a built in dc motor.

@Rock_dj:-
As Sounava said, go to the a store and check out the cameras yourself. Take some pics, compare the images at 100% magnification and see which one you prefer. Bear in mind that image quality will also depend on the LCDs on the cameras, so its best if you can view sample images elsewhere.

Personally, if this is your first slr, I don't think it'll matter what you take.

sujoyp

Grand Master
I'm not sure I understand. My 50mm f/1.8 has a built in dc motor.

DC motor??? I heard this first time:razz: anyways we are talking about autofocus motor which comes in 13k model
AFS 50mm 1.8

r4gs

In the zone
The auofocus motor is a DC motor. :)

Which lens is that exactly? I only know of the canon EF 50mm f/1.8 i and ii models.

AF-S is nikon isn't it? Souvana mentioned the canon lens.

Sounava

In the zone
^ You are getting confused dude.
What I meant is that if he buys 550D, he can use the 50mm f/1.8 and autofocus with it.
If he buys the D5100, the corresponding 50mm f/1.8 will not autofocus on it.

sujoyp

Grand Master
eeh my office is killing my tech mind...soo sorry..

yaah if u get any canon u can use cheap 50mm 1.8 with autofocus

but if u get nikon cheap 50mm 1.8 wont autofocus on body like D3100 and D5100 the new AFS 50mm 1.8 will autofocus

r4gs

In the zone
^ You are getting confused dude.
What I meant is that if he buys 550D, he can use the 50mm f/1.8 and autofocus with it.
If he buys the D5100, the corresponding 50mm f/1.8 will not autofocus on it.

eeh my office is killing my tech mind...soo sorry..

yaah if u get any canon u can use cheap 50mm 1.8 with autofocus

but if u get nikon cheap 50mm 1.8 wont autofocus on body like D3100 and D5100 the new AFS 50mm 1.8 will autofocus

Ah. That makes sense. Thank you for clearing it up..... :)

Top Bottom