Newly Assembled Rig Not Starting

lovedonator

Ambassador of Buzz
OK,I assembled my computer today and when I push the power button the two front cabinet fans and the power supply fan move and light up for a second and then turn off. Nothing else happens,the system does not even gets to BIOS. Also to note that the cpu heatsink fan and rear chasis fan don't move at all. The start and reset button on motherboard are lit up so that means motherboard is getting power. I've tried removing RAM and inserting it in different slots. So should I assume my processor is defunct? I've checked that I've connected the 24-pin motherboard cable and 8 pin processor cable.
My configuration is- i5-3570k with Cooler Master 212 EVO heatsink
Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB RAM
Asus Maximus V Gene Motherboard
Corsair GS600 PSU
Here is a pic *i.imgur.com/1XYTk.jpg

OP
lovedonator

lovedonator

Ambassador of Buzz
None of the leds are glowing,only the things which I mentioned above. I'm going to take apart and assemble again. I did not use the mounting screws for the mobo,gonna use them this time. Will report back.

havoknation

Journeyman
Buddy crosscheck golden non insulating screws behind motherboard. I mean it should cover whole motherboard. If any motherboard part is touching cabinet from back then it will short within few seconds. I already faced such type of situations 2-3 times. It is the only workaround.

OP
lovedonator

lovedonator

Ambassador of Buzz
Try pressing 'start' button on mobo and see what happens.

It was giving the same result.

Buddy crosscheck golden non insulating screws behind motherboard. I mean it should cover whole motherboard. If any motherboard part is touching cabinet from back then it will short within few seconds. I already faced such type of situations 2-3 times. It is the only workaround.

That was the problem. I figured it out last night and now my PC is up and running. Thanks for the help. :)

sharang.d

Youngling

Can you explain what you mean by this? I'm curious..

OP
lovedonator

lovedonator

Ambassador of Buzz
Can you explain what you mean by this? I'm curious..

As far as I understand that if you don't install the standoffs at the proper place and a part of motherboard touches the case or the standoff touches the motherboard where it is not supposed to then the motherboard shorts and the system does not boot up. I also did not know this until yesterday. I searched for my problem on Google and found this thing. Very interesting....

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Motherboard touching cabinet = short-circuit = motherboard isn't getting the given 12V = no POST.

Top Bottom