New System: Virtualization

rawgeek

Broken In
Hello All,

I am planing to build a new cpu. My primary requirement is that I have to run many server OS together.I am not a gamer and I will not be buying a graphic card, however I might buy one in a few months time so would like to have that capability on the motherboard.There should be a support for H/W virtualization..I can spend 10k extra if it gives me a substantial inc in the performance.Please suggest me a suitable configuration.Thanks ! :)

1. What is the purpose of the computer?

A: I need to run server Windows server 2003 and 2008 with client machines.

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance
but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?

A: Yes

3. What is your MAX budget?
A: 40k

4. Planning to overclock?
A:Yes,in future

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A: Base OS would be windows server 2008 then there will be many virtual machines.

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A: 2 TB

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you
want?
A: For now I have my old 15" samsung monitor,but, will change it to a good 22" in the future.

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)

A: 5

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A: It will be an assembler.

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A: Within a month

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A: Yes

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A:Graphic Card,Monitor,Keyboard,Mouse.

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A: New-Delhi,no.

14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
A: At least 8 GB of ram [might inc in future].

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
At a budget of 40k, you have to go for AMD. For now I'm not suggesting any GPU or monitor.

Here goes my suggestion:

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 3.2 GHz @9.7k
MSI 880GMA-E45 @ 6k
Corsair TR3X2G -1333 XMS3 C9 6 GB Kit @ 7k
Seagate Baracuda 7200 rpm 2 TB with 32MB Cache @ 5.5k (Price is in deltapage.com)
Corsair VX550W @ 4.7k
Cooler Master Elite 430 @ 2.6k
LG 22X SATA DVD Writer @ 1k
Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 @ 1k

total is around 37.5k. Spend the extra money to buy some 120 mm Cooling Fans from Cooler Master.
This system will be well balanced for all the applications you mentioned. The Onborad HD 4250 with 128 MB dedicate DDR3 ram is powerful enough to handle your 15" monitor. Even some gaming is also possible. For PSU , I have suggested the 550W, although the VX450W is enough for it. It is because you said thet you are going to add Graphics card in future. But still, you can go with VX450, as it can also handle medium Graphics cards without any difficulty.

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
^^
that was exactly what i was going to suggest 1055t + msi 880gma-e45

go for this setup
it suits your needs completely

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
increase ram to 8Gb & cabby to NZXT Gamma & add 4-5 fans (needed). also for PSU, VX450W will be sufficient. this will keep the PC as well as OP happy (& cool).

acewin

Point Blanc
check motherboards support for HW virtualization.
If not wrong you are thinking to run Hyper-V, it needs HW virtualization support.
Otherwise if you are running VMware Workstation or Virtual PC they will work fine.
In VMware's performance is with HW virtualization enabled.

OP
R

rawgeek

Broken In
Thanks Guys for your prompt responce :)

Please tell me the difference between x6 1050 and x6 1090,how much more will I have to spend and what will be the inc in performance?And yes I am planning to use Hyper V,do we have support for that in MSI 880GMA-E4?We can drop Microsoft Comfort Curve as I already have keyboard and mouse.I do plan to buy a 22" monitor in 2-3 months,would Onborad HD 4250 with 128 MB dedicate DDR3 ram be enough for that?

Once again thank you for taking out time to reply and assisting me.

Cilus

laborare est orare
1090T is the higher end big brother of 1055T.

The main difference is 1090T is a Black edition or BE processor, having an unlocked multiplier. So you can over clock the processor by just increasing the multiplier. This is mainly for gaming. So it is having more over clock potential.

2nd difference is default clock speed. 1090T is clocked 400 MHz higher tan 1055T.

The price difference is almost 4.5k and the kind of operation you have mentioned, i don't think it is justified to spend the extra money. 1090T's main target audience is Gamers

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
as u've planned to over clock in future , 1090t will cost u a premium.
if u're willing to spend then 1090t's definitely a good buy

OP
R

rawgeek

Broken In
I am going with 1055T and will use the extra money to get more ram,around 10 GB.
Thanks for the support guys........u all rock :)

OP
R

rawgeek

Broken In
Thanks 2 all of u.....I got my New pc....x6 1055.....Corsair 8GB 1333Mhz......MSI 880GMA-E41....Cooler Master 550W. :)

Top Bottom