New Rig for 3d Works compatible with old pc

OP
F

fusebulb

Broken In
But cuda is also a workstation card isnt it if u are talking about nvidia quadro, or is there any other cards with cuda enabled

@ Ishu
You are right in that poly count is not huge in my scenes, but they tend to get ram heavy and usually take a lot of time for a single frame rendering, bcoz, i generally end up using Global Illumination, high anti aliasing values and other things for better rendering quality, so i want to cut down on rendering time, which is CPU based in most softwares, but i am not sure if Real Flow simulation is GPU based or CPU based, i have a feeling even that is CPU based, i am not entirely sure, but if the V4800 helps in my work for even 15-20% speeding up it will be worth it in the long run

Last edited:
OP
F

fusebulb

Broken In
@ Ishu
Can u specify which card are u talking about and will the nvidia card be compatible with the AMD setup (sorry for being silly, but i am a novice when it comes to hardware)

OP
F

fusebulb

Broken In
after going thru lot of comparisons between gtx 460, quadros and fireGL, now i am tilting towards gtx 460, it kind of suits my requirements i think, although ideal would be high end quadro or FireGL, but obviously its the budget thing, so as for now it is gtx 460

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
Yeah I too read a few articles/threads and in my opinion a GTX 460 2GB would be best for you. A workstation card performing better than GTX 460 would cost you insane amount of money. Just add some coolers along with the GTX460.

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
@ Jas
Its not CUDA. Its the general performance.
Reasons
1) V4800 is a low end entry level workstation card whereas gtx460 is a med-high end consumer card.
2) Biggest thing consumer card lack, that make them a poorer choice against workstation cards, is memory. BUT 2GB VRAM can hold upto 20M polygons. OP would need more unless he renders huge sceneries.
3) Another con for consumer card is high temp during rendering. So I suggested slapping a few fans along with the GTX.
4) A huge plus for consumer cards is price. A similar workstation cost something like 1L or something insane.

So for a single guy a GTX 460 is good, though I would suggest him to try and go for GTX 570.

Closed the tabs in the afternoon and they(links) are lost in my history. :(

So thats what I still remember :D

AMD Phenom II x6 1090t @ 11.5k
Asrock 890GX Extreme3 @ 7.2k
G.Skill 1x4GB DDR3 1333MHz CL7 @ 4k
Seagate 1TB 7200.12 @ 2.8k
Corsair VX550W @ 4.7k
Cooler Master 690 Advanced @ 6k
GTX 460 2GB @ 12.5k
APC 1KVA @ 5k
Total - 53.7k

Add another stick of 4GB RAM later (or now if budget permits).

Last edited:

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
guys ws cards are real processing units , geforce are just accelerators they only help speeding up work in application viewports.

op has a brilliant budget , the v4800 and v5800 suggested jasji are great.ws cards will cut the processor rendering load to half in most scenarios.

whereas i would suggest op should consider core i7 xeons in his budget as well.

*hothardware.com/Reviews/AMD-ATI-FirePro-Roundup-V7800-V4800-V3800/?page=2
check this.

Last edited:

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
^
GTX 470 has more CUDA cores and a higher core clock than Quadro 5000 (costs $1800). It renders faster except when it gets bottlenecked by is 1.25GB of RAM.

And actually Quadro 5000 is faster than GTX 470 in Viewpoint 2.0.

BTW OP needs a hotfix 3 to Maya 2011 to get the GTX to support Viewpoint in it.

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
iam not talking about viewpoint 2.0.

and ws cards are dedicated processors for cgi and graphics , well heres a link lets decide acc to it if it is legit source.

*www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
Yes that is because GTX (2GB in 460 1.5GB in 580) lacks VRAM compared to teslas and quadros (6GB in Tesla 2070 and 3GB in Tesla 2050)

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
@aby geek
GTX 570 (Rs 22k) is higher than Quadro 6000 ($6000/Rs 3Lakh) in that benchmarks. :lol:
GTX 460 is ahead V7800 and slightly behind Quadro 5000.

And its a synthetic benchmark. Worth nothing except e-peen IMO.

@ Jas
*jeffpatton.net/2010/11/06/gtxquadr...days-gpu-selections-for-rendering/#comment-89

A newish review.
Comparing GTX470 to Quadro 5000. He says it gets hot (known problem for that card).
Also read the comments.

Last edited:

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
@ ishu gupta

I think if the op is not at all into gaming then a ws card will prove better for him here. The reason is different driver setup for ws and gaming chips. Gaming cards need single precision floating point which has less accuracy in which games don't utilize whereas in workstation cards , the drivers are optimised to deliver a double precision floating point which has more accuracy in rendering and cad applications. So they can't be compared.

If op would have intentions of gaming,then he can go for gtx 460 or gtx 570 or even radeons. But in this case workstation cards are better suited.

@ op

Go for v4800 or v5800 whatever your budget permits.

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
bhai thts what i have been saying,you wronged me then repeated what i sayed sheesh !!
fire pro series is good for him,quadro is out of question. we began comparing geforce vs fire pro so thats how it is. if op wants geforce i think nothing above 450 gts is required.

and about quadro being beaten by top end gaming card ,its totally diff hardware dont compare it with benchmarks,
when you have a ws card ,in rendering it takes all the hardwork from your cpu. in other words its another cpu for rendering cgi.

game cards whereas aim at acceleration of rich content and apps,but offloading the cpu is not there bit,they will reach ther but not yet.

Last edited:
OP
F

fusebulb

Broken In
wow guys i just got to know about the new Mental Images Iray rendering which is a total GPU rendering solution, never worked on a GPU renderer before, it was quite impressive, in its speed and quality, if it can live upto the expectations, i am definitely going to try it out.

Plus the Autodesk FAQ about Iray are only talking about GTX, Quadro and Tesla cards there is no mention of any ATI FireGL cards, maybe because it is dependent mainly on CUDA cores for rendering, so ideally u can have multiple GPUs for faster rendering, so i can add two or even three cards in future for even faster output, its very exciting, so the scales are getting heavily in favor of GTX 460 2GB.

One limitation about this is your scene size cannot go more than the memory size on your card including the textures, so the higher the memory on the card the better, right now 2GB is what i am aiming for.

Plus this is where the future is heading, there is a VRAY GPU solution on the way, even Maya is talking of having GPU rendering thru Mental Ray, so this sounds more of a future proof solution

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
some benefits - (if op needs any of those)

Why Choose the Quadro Workstation Board Over NVIDIA GeForce?

Today’s high performance consumer graphics boards while possessing extremely powerful graphics performance, are primarily designed for gaming performance, whereas professional visual imaging and 3D applications have more intricate needs that require additional features and a different balance in some aspects of the graphics boards features.

NVIDIA Quadro solutions offer features that provide additional functionality required by professional creative professionals:

• Accelerated Video Playback using the Adobe Mercury Playback Engine: The new Mercury Playback Engine in Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 give video professionals the ability to work with complex HD timelines in real-time without having to generate preview renders to see their final output. NVIDIA Quadro graphics are the recommended solution by Adobe for video professionals. (Supported on Quadro FX 3800, FX 4800 and FX 5800).

• Support for Professional SDI Output: Quadro FX also provides support for professional video output via SDI for film and video post-production and broadcast graphics. The FX3800/4800/5800 support 2 channels of SD or HD-SDI output.

• Application testing and certification: All NVIDIA Quadro FX graphics boards are consistently tested and certified with dozens of leading professional applications, providing guaranteed compatibility, stability, and optimization with the key professional applications in MCAD, DCC, oil and gas, and scientific visualization markets.

• Custom application drivers and utilities: NVIDIA Quadro FX boards offer enhancements vital to graphics professionals, including the 3ds Max Performance Driver for Autodesk 3ds Max and the accelerated AutoCAD Performance Driver for AutoCAD users.

• Support commitment of three years: NVIDIA provides support and driver updates for all NVIDIA Quadro graphics boards for three years from the date of introduction.

• Planned availability of boards for 18 months: With NVIDIA GeForce and other consumer cards, there is no guarantee how long the card will be available, but NVIDIA Quadro boards typically have an availability of 18 months, providing a more stable IT platform across your enterprise.

• Enhanced driver configuration: Designed to support the more varied needs of professional applications, Quadro drivers let users adjust settings for texture memory size, buffer flipping mode, anti-aliasing line gamma, texture color depth, stereoscopic display settings and overlay control–all of which are unavailable on NVIDIA GeForce cards. This allows users to customize DirectX and OpenGL settings that are important for professional 3D, Professional Imaging and Visualization applications.

• Support for G-Sync: The Quadro FX 5800, FX 4800 and FX3800 can utilize and optional G-Sync board to provide advanced multi-system visualization and multi-device film and video environments. The Quadro G-Sync supports frame lock, swap sync, stereo sync, and house sync.

• Support for SDI: The Quadro FX 5800, FX 4800 and FX3800 also provide support for professional video output via SDI for film and video post-production and broadcast graphics. The boards support 2 channels of SD or HD-SDI output, and digital and analog genlock.

OpenGL feature hardware acceleration and support:

• Hardware overlay planes: Enhances performance of 3D graphics when obscured by the cursor, pop-up menus, and other visual enhancements.

• Hardware antialiased lines: Vastly improves the display of 2D and 3D wireframe views in design and visualization software, at a higher performance level than on GeForce, and without taking extra video memory for oversampling.

• Two-sided lighting: Renders the front and back sides of triangles to ensure visibility of surface meshes and cutaway views, no matter the viewpoint.

• Windowed OpenGL quad-buffered stereo: Unavailable on GeForce cards, quad-buffered stereo gives designers a real-life perspective on their models while maintaining full double-buffering for the left and right views.

• Hardware-accelerated clip regions: Designed to handle the many windows and dialog boxes that can impinge upon the 3D graphics window, NVIDIA Quadro FX boards include up to eight clip regions, as opposed to the single clip region offered on GeForce cards.

ATI

ATI FirePro products are optimized and certified for many CAD and DCC applications.
ATI FirePro offers dedicated driver support via regular Catalyst software updates that are based on certified proven testing with leading professional graphics applications.
AMD offers direct customer access to a dedicated professional class technical support team.

what i have inferred is quadros and firepros may render fast but the amount of ram on those budget quadro is just 768mb (fx1800) and it costs> 25k. the performance of GTX480 is very much comparable to those professional cards. its got 1.5GB memory. more mem will help render more complex scenes. moreover GTX570 and 580 also have about equal shaders and more clock.
so acc. to me gtx570 or 580 will serve better.

OP
F

fusebulb

Broken In
But autodesk has scared me by saying that Geforce (GTX) cards are not recommended for data centers meaning rendering farms which render continuously for months, bcoz Iray puts a lot of load on the graphic cards for rendering, i'm not saying i will be rendering for months continuously, but there are times when my pc is rendering for 3-4 days continuously, so will it melt my GTX 460, any ideas or any cooling solutions to counter this.

Plus will the Asrock mobo support multiple GTX 460 cards, in future

Last edited:
Top Bottom