New rig for 1440p gaming.

thyultimate

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: I love Shogun II, HOI-3, Civilization 5, AC and such games. Mostly RPG's and grand strategy though. Major browsing, 70 or so tabs all the time. Virtual machines are also important, I like running linux inside my windows 7/8 rig to fool around with (I also dual boot). I also have measly java, C or python code to compile once in a while, and will eventually need to run the Android emulator as well.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: Around 50k. Yes, can increase by about 5-6k if necessary. This extra 5-6k is reserved for a good mechanical keyboard since I type so much, however, for a balanced config, I will sacrifice it.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: The hell out of it. Please do not suggest Intel unless it's a K processor.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 7/8 (primary for gaming) and a distro of linux, bsd or whatever catches my fancy.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: I have a 60GB SSD Corsair Force. I also have 2x 500GB HDD, one of which is failing. While I would like an extra HDD, this is not a priority.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: I have ordered a 300$ Catleap 1440p 27" IPS display from Taiwan (ebay). I pray it works well :p

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: I have a Phenom XII 550BE processor, an XFX HD5770, and 6GB of "1x 2GB transcend, and 1x corsair 4GB RAM". I do not plan on reusing the RAM. I need better timings for overclocking. The GPU and CPU, you tell me. :p (Background: My motherboard died. I also need a new PSU.) I also have speakers, an okay keyboard, and a good mouse.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: When the monitor arrives, so solely depends on Mumbai customs, it's on its way from Taiwan currently.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Many many times, will do it myself again.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Pune. From where ever I get the cheapest parts is fine. Open to travelling to Mumbai for em as well.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: I kinda have my heart set on the HD7850, and I think I will CFX if time requires me to. Other than that, I was wondering if I should keep my Phenom x2 (won't unlock, i tried :() and just get a new motherboard and wait for Piledriver. But that is only 10% better :/

Other than that please keep in mind I want the NZXT Phantom 410 case, an Asus rt13u router and the CM Hyper Evo (should be included in total budget). I am open to better coolers/cases/routers if budget permits. I should mention here, I live alone in a 2BHK, so LAN gaming parties are common. So in case of entirely new parts, I can buy a cheap mobo later, and use the phenom+5770 for LAN.

Side note: I asked suggestions for my dad's rig previously. It worked out fine, if anyone wants pictures or benchmarks, feel free to ask. Thanks for all the help the previous time guys!

Last edited:

Utkarsh Sharma

Journeyman
AMD FX 8120: 9k
Gigabyte GA-970-UD3: 6.5k
GSkill RipJawsX 4GB*2 DDR3 1600MHz: 3k
Corsair Force Series 60GB: 5k
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB OC: 16k
Seasonic S12II 520W: 4.2k(try getting it for 4k)
ASUS 24x DVD writer: 1k
Cooler Master Elite 430: 2.5k
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO: 2k
Total: 50k
This config is suitable for gaming as well as virtuals. But if you are not satisfied with the proccy then get the Phenom II X6 1075T for 8.5k.

OP
T

thyultimate

Broken In
Hey, I already have that SSD as mentioned :p

Also 970 motherboards only allow cfx @4x pcie2, that would suck if I wanna crossfire later. Don't need a dvd writer either. Also I am pretty fixated on the NZXT Phantom 410 :D Finally, router? :(

I think if I ditch that cabinet, the ssd, the writer and the mobo you mention, I save 15k. I can get the Phantom for 6k, and the AsRock 990FX for 10k and the router for 3k. So that totals to 54k, think that should be fine? I gotta ditch the keyboard then. Anyway, will the 8120 bottleneck the 2x 7850 in crossfire @ 1440p?

Utkarsh Sharma

Journeyman
But OP also wants a virtual machine. So, there has to be a compromise in terms of Virtuals or Gaming :-(

Also the FX is a serious overclocker.

OP
T

thyultimate

Broken In
But OP also wants a virtual machine. So, there has to be a compromise in terms of Virtuals or Gaming :-(

Also the FX is a serious overclocker.

I was thinking along the same lines.....but I was wondering if I could save up till say Piledriver, and instead use my Phenom II x2 550be meanwhile? Will the dual cores only bottleneck the hd7850 @ 1440p?

rajnusker

Sage of the Six Paths
i5 2500k ~13.5k
asrock z77 extreme4 ~ 10.5k
corsair xms3 1600 4gb ~ 1.5k
msi r7850 pe ~ 16.5k
corsair tx750w v2 ~6.6k
cm hyper 212 evo ~2k

this is probably the best I can think of. doesn't includes the phantom and router though!

Top Bottom