New PSU

r4gs

In the zone
Well,
PC config below. PC has been lying unused for many months now and I need to buy a PSU to power it.

Any suggestions?

Budget is flexible and around 6k. I have a lot of fluctuations in my area, which were actually responsible for blowing my coolermaster and mobo so I need a more sturdy one now.

PC Config:-

Intel Core2duo e7400
2x2gb DDRII 800MHz RAM
nvidia GTX 275
1x500gb HDD
1x1tb HDD
ASUS mobo

The PSU also needs to be future proof enough to handle an upgrade to an i7 and DDRIII RAM or AMD equivalent in the near future.

Thanks

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ Post in the Proper Section from next time

Get Corsair HX/TX 650 - it would be the best deal for you and.

abirthedevil

In the zone
which cooler master psu did u have? im guessing extreme power............ right, am i?
corsair vx550 should be more than enough to power your rig

OP
r4gs

r4gs

In the zone
I see that the 550 has 41A on the 12V rail. Seeing that my 275 needs 40, is that going to be enough to handle a future upgrade?

Also, how is antec?

@abirth:-Check my signature...:) Yes it was a coolermaster extreme power.

How is the Antec Earthwatts 650? It has 3x12V rails with about 22A each.

The only downside is the 3 yr warranty compared to Corsair.

I am actually leaning towards the "Corsair Gaming Series Gold 700W Power Supply (CMPSU-700G)" as it has 56A on the 12V along with a slightly better active PFC from 90-264, which I feel is better due to the fluctuations in my area.

Also note that I am a n00b when it comes to PSUs so I could be wrong on everything. Please advise!!!

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
any idea about corsair 700G price ?

I think HX series has better build quality than Gaming series ( GS ) psus.

S_V

In the zone
Corsair HX series are rock solid and their efficiency is truly awesome. Actually they are Gold certified PSU's but corsair wants their AX series to be called Gold officially.. According to rigorousness testing from JonnyGuru.com they themselves told this fact....

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ignore Corsair Gaming series aka GS and also ignore TX series for the while. The newer CWT OEM are not that great.

Go for Corsair HX650 @ 7.4k. It will be worth it.

OP
r4gs

r4gs

In the zone
@topgear:- itdepot puts the 700g at about 6k. It is good that you pointed it out. Turns out that the TX 650 is only rs500 more, but also has 2 more years of warranty along with the same PFC rating and 52A on the 12V.

It seems like the TX is the better option at the moment.

The HX is even better in terms of specs, but its expensive. At least 1k more than the TX.

S_V

In the zone
yeah, but 1k is worth for Modular cabling which helps lot of airflow and clean system...

Use cables only needed is good for cabinet and Components... The rest unused ones can be safely stored in a pouch given by corsair.. It's just i am telling to make good use of your hard earned money ;-)

Last edited:

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Take this advice from someone who owns a TX series and a full tower- you're lot better with a modular. It doesn't affect the cooling or anything (unless you're using the cable as a wall :p) but you're saving the hassle when you're doing cable management. Its obviously worth it.

OP
r4gs

r4gs

In the zone
If I had the budget to go modular I would. As it happens I don't. So TX it is for now.

:D

Also, I've never really had a problem with cooling. Most PSU's are placed at the top of the cabinet and blow air downward or outward, I've got a couple of exhaust fans suitably placed to handle it. Plus, all the unused cables are bunched up in a cubby hole.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Take this advice from someone who owns a TX series and a full tower- you're lot better with a modular. It doesn't affect the cooling or anything (unless you're using the cable as a wall :p) but you're saving the hassle when you're doing cable management. Its obviously worth it.

I have a TX in a mid tower. Seriously.
:(

OP
r4gs

r4gs

In the zone
No idea. Some mercury cabinet I think. Quite heavy and sturdy though. It has vents over the g card and cpu along with 1 front and 1 rear vent.

To aid the cooling I've added a large intake fan in the front and an exhaust over the CPU.

Top Bottom