New PC- Which is better: Intel or AMD and then the best suited hardwares.

spacenfeel

Broken In
Hello Guys!
I have a design & drawing job. Softwares that i am planning to work on are Revit, Rhino, Grasshopper, 3DS Max, aCAD and CS4 Suite. While mulitastking I could use CAD with any of the other mostly. Not much of a gaming freak so you can ignore it. Budget I could stretch to 50k max (budget only includes Processor, MOBO, RAM, HDD, Graphic Card, Cabinet, SMPS).
Now I've asked many people who i thought would suggest me a good pc config..but only got more confused !!

Help me out folks! I dont want to buy new PC for next 3 years atleast.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Fill this up and post here:- *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/pc-compon...new-pc-help-answer-these-questions-first.html

OP
S

spacenfeel

Broken In
Fill this up and post here:- *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/pc-compon...new-pc-help-answer-these-questions-first.html

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Only to work on design applications like Revit 2013, AutoCAD 2012, CS4, 3DS Max, Rihno & Grasshopper. Basically BIM and NURBS based modelling softwares. Sole purpose is to smoothly run all of these applications sometimes multitasking. Not for gaming at all.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 50K max. Dont want to stretch it beyond. may be 5k more if it is really helping substantially.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Dont know aboutit much. But having googled, it helps in performance. Absolutly yes.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Win 7

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 1Tb

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans:Yes atleast 22", the one i have now (almost 4 years old) is ACER 19" resolution 1440x900.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: mouse, keyboard, ups, speakers.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: within 10 days.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans:By an assembler.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans:Live in delhi, will buy it from Nehru place or will buy get parts online.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: I already have Seagate 1tb hdd 5200 rpm. can we use it. (But i dont want to compromise on performance, so given a substantially better choice i'll buy another 1tb)

sbnaul

Broken In
AMD FX 8350 - Rs 11.6k
Asus M5A97 - Rs 7k
Sapphire HD 7770 1GB GDDR5 - Rs 8k
Corsair GS500 - Rs 3.6k
Toshiba 1TB - Rs 4.3k
Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHz CL10 8GB X 1 @ 3.2K
Dell S2240L 22" ( 1920 x 1080 IPS LED) - Rs 8.5k
Cabinet - NZXT Gamma - Rs 2.5k
OPD - Samsung SH-S 223F - Rs 0.9k

Since you already have a 1tb hd i suggest u buy a 500gb wb blue and use both together... The newer one for primary purposes and the older one for secondary purposes...

Last edited:

deathblade

death,destruction and dev
^^ +1...instead of single stick ram...go 4 dual channel besides that good configuration...If u want 2 game try 2 squeeze in a gtx 650Ti..

Cilus

laborare est orare
No, for Op's purpose, HD 7770 is the perfect choice. Although GTX 650 Ti is better in gaming, it has horrible compute performance and compute performance is very much necessary for OP's purpose. HD 7770 will provide him best of both world within his budget.

I think all the applications mentioned by OP, actually do have GPU acceleration support.

Cilus

laborare est orare
For normal home usage, even a gaming GPU with good computer capabilities will do here.

AMD FX 8350 - Rs 11.6k
Asus M5A97 - Rs 7k
Sapphire HD 7770 1GB GDDR5 - Rs 8k
Corsair GS500 - Rs 3.6k
Toshiba 1TB - Rs 4.3k
Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHz CL10 8GB X 1 @ 3.2K
Dell S2240L 22" ( 1920 x 1080 IPS LED) - Rs 8.5k
Cabinet - NZXT Gamma - Rs 2.5k
OPD - Samsung SH-S 223F - Rs 0.9k

Since you already have a 1tb hd i suggest u buy a 500gb wb blue and use both together... The newer one for primary purposes and the older one for secondary purposes...
1+ for this config.
GB. You can
I would also like to suggest to get a 500 GB HDD instead of 1 TB one, and get 16 GB of RAM instead of 8 GB. You can use the extra RAM as RAMDisk which will be extremely helpful for your applications.

OP
S

spacenfeel

Broken In
Wouldnt Intel I7 3770k work better than AMD FX 8350..most people in office are using it. and they work on same apps i posted..i also enquired a friend in mumbai who also works on such 3d apps also uses I7 processor..probably because offices trust Intel more than AMD..and when i read reviews online they also says I7 3770k is any time better than FX 8350..
I wouldnt mind adding upto 5k more to buy a better processor for my work..as i already have DVD rw and 1TB (will buy 500 gb though)..so i can save there and use it for processor.
About GPU..i cant afford a quadro now...but i can save for it and buy it after 3-4 months time..so then should i buy a HD 7770 now or wait for quadro..

Cilus

laborare est orare
i7 3770K is better than FX-8350 but almost twice costlier than it. Currently it is retailing around 19.5K+ price and a Motherboard for it will cost you around 9K. It will overshoot your budget by a good margin.

OP
S

spacenfeel

Broken In
Thanks for your replies guys...Ok..For now, I think i should go for i7 3770k and and compatible MoBo, 16 GB ram, cabinet and PSU as mentioned above..it would cost me around 43K...use my old acer 19" LCD and HDD..so i'll end up saving some that could help me getting a quadro and a monitor a couple of months later..wat say..and till then i could use without monitor and GPU (I wont stress the machine with heavy rendering or modelling stuff).. please advice if m thinking right or not..also the compatible config for i7, i.e. MOBO, RAM, Cabinet & PSU...

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Intel i7 3770 - Rs 18000 (or Less)
Gigabyte GA-H77-DS3H - Rs 6600
Ram - Gskill 8GB RAM F3-12800CL10D-8GBXL- Rs 3250
Nvidia Quadro 400/ 600 - Rs 7500 / 10300
HDD - Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB - Rs 4150
Cabinet - NZXT 210 Elite - Rs 2900
PSU - Corsair GS 500 - Rs 4000
Monitor - Dell S2240L (IPS 1920 x 1080) Rs 8900

Total - Rs 55300 / Rs 58100

Thats i7 non K which is good but cant overclock.Overclocking while doing professional stuff is little uninspiring,IMO! Hence.

The same rig with a better Quadro card will be possible if only you settle for the FX8350 and Asus M5A97 which is a very good config in every sense of the word at your specified budget.

vkl

Cyborg Agent
Thanks for your replies guys...Ok..For now, I think i should go for i7 3770k and and compatible MoBo, 16 GB ram, cabinet and PSU as mentioned above..it would cost me around 43K...use my old acer 19" LCD and HDD..so i'll end up saving some that could help me getting a quadro and a monitor a couple of months later..wat say..and till then i could use without monitor and GPU (I wont stress the machine with heavy rendering or modelling stuff).. please advice if m thinking right or not..also the compatible config for i7, i.e. MOBO, RAM, Cabinet & PSU...

In that case,get the i7 and reuse some of the parts you have and upgrade those with time.
i7 3770k -19k
Gigabyte Z77X UD3H -12k or Asrock Z77 Extreme6 -12k
G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB(F3-12800CL10S-8GBXL) -3.6k
Corsair GS500 -4k
NZXT source 210 elite - 3.2k (2.6+0.6)
CM Hyper 212 evo -2k

Buy another RAM stick later if you require it.i7 3770k can get quite hot especially in summer,hyper 212 evo would keep the temperatures down and also be helpful for overclocking.For the things you have mentioned the i7 3770k is overall a much better processor than fx8350.Grasshopper and Rhino5 are primarily single threaded even though rhino5 has now support for multi-threading.3ds max 2013 is also quite faster on i7 3770k.In some applications while rendering the fx8350 can come close but mostly i7 3770k comes out ahead clearly in most scenarios and also has much better single/light threaded performance.Single/light threaded performance is important as many other things like previewing the model are generally single threaded and in some cases are dependent on GPU.For graphic card check out both firepro and quadro cards.

Top Bottom