Status
Not open for further replies.

MenTaLLyMenTaL

Broken In
I put together this config 2 days back:

Amd Athlon 64 X2 5000+
Asus m2n-mx-se+
Kingston 1GB DDR2 ram
Seagate 80gb sata HDD (replacement from service center)
Old LG CD-Writer (working)
Monitor, KB, mouse, speakers from old comp.

The HDD was partitioned into 3 drives, all NTFS using another comp with Partition Magic Software.
While installing XP, it gave "Cannot copy file xxxx.xxx" error too many times to continue setup properly. So 1st I thought the CD must be damaged. So I got one from my friend and tried but still same. However, the problem got resloved when I swapped the XP CD (with another XP CD which was exact same copy of the 1st one) when the error occured 1st time. After that installation went smooth.

The Main Problem:
Now, XP and other essential things like Office, winrar etc has been installed.
But most of the times, I get various errors/problems when I start windows like:
1) When Windows starts up, graphics is messed up like in 256 color mode
OR
2) After logging in XP, I get some error like:

Title: Realtek HD Audio Manager
MSG: Error reading EnableJD_epLabel->UsgInnerColor: Property UsgInnerColor does not exist

OR
3) I get the error "Logon user interface DLL msgina.dll failed to load" just before the windows logon screen is displayed. And then just black screen. So need to reset comp.
OR
4) I get error saying failed to load userinit.exe. Again, need to restart comp.
OR
5) i dont get any error, desktop is loaded properly. desktop is clickable, refreshable but if I move mouse over taskbar, it shows the sand-clock cursor and i cant click anywhere on taskbar. Neither did Ctrl+alt+del work in this case.

I have got each of these errors only once. None of them have repeated till now. What is this problem related to?

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Update bios. Do fresh installation and partition the drive during installation- not by using the partition magic software.
After doing this, google for orthos and run blend test for 3-4 hours to rule out the possibility if there is any hardware issues. But run the tests AFTER the bios update. The instructions for bios update is given on the mobo's manual. After this, install HD tune and run error scan. If you see red blocks- your hard drive has bad sectors. You can run the test before fresh installation, but make do the test after fresh installation as instruction to be sure. Next time you post, let us know the psu as well.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ MenTaLLyMenTaL
You said there was an error occured & then the installation went on smoothly.
So I think windows was unable copy some necessary file which is important for sys stability.
BTW install xp again with another cd/dvd drive ( borrow it from friend ). I think your cd writer is bad so it gives too much errors while reading discs.

OP
MenTaLLyMenTaL

MenTaLLyMenTaL

Broken In
@topgear
I 4got to mention, I tried using another dvd drive. Had same error

@Sorceror
Hmm thats gonna take big time. I'll have to w8 till my dad gives a green signal coz that PC is for his use. About repartitioning, is it needed? whats the reason u suggest doing it?
The PSU is the one which came with the cabinet (new one)... Intex 450W or could be 400W dont remember now.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do as what The Sorcerer suggested.

Then check your rams with memtest86
*www.memtest86.com/

Try with another single stick of DDR2 ram.

Check if HDD sata data & power cables are connected properly with the disk & mobo & reconnect them properly.

Check to see if your HDD is running in sata mode under bios.

Try another sata port on the mobo for the HDD.

Try with another IDE cable for the CD writer.
Try with a sata DVD writer.

Download & Install the latest drivers for your chipset, graphics & sound.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Its intex nevertheless. I dont know how to local el cheapos are to be honest. I rather not buy a pc if I can afford only an intex or some el cheapo psu to be honest. I wouldnt stress test them with this psu even though your config takes very less power. In my opinion those substandard psu makers need to be jailed but whom am I to put them in :p. Indian distributors really need to get a lot of good quality 350w psu for smaller power consuming systems to be honest. Even fsp is priced in silly prices.
See if you can borrow a better psu for testing and then test the system to be on a much safer side. After getting a borrowing a better psu, run those tests. If it works properly then it means its not a hardware issue. Must be either random software issue or the intex psu. If you get BSOD or restart, reformat and re-install windows to be sure there's no conflict and its surely a hardware issue. As mentioned on my earlier post, get the bios updated.

Last edited:

circular_q

Broken In
If you update your BIOS you would need to reflash it. And that might void your motherboard warranty. So it's best to take the system to the dealer/service center for that specifically (you can partition your hard drive and run diagnostics software yourself).

By the way, local PSU's cost around Rs. 700 and the so called good ones cost around Rs. 2200. That's a huge price difference and I suspect just extravagance, considering how computers become obsolete in 3 years itself.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Extravagance??Do you know that 80% of the hardware problems in India and China is because of psu alone? You go to good forums like hardware secrets, they barred users from China and India because people dont understand how a psu works. But since unethical dealers dumping all scrap here and taking people for a ride, the editor did the right thing and made a fantastic article on anatomy of a power supply. Exhaustive but a fantastic read. Power supplies are expensive for a good reason. Good and active pfc, cooling, wiring, casing, caps, MOVs, etc. cost money for a reason.
Why would the board be voided? Just follow the instructions as given in the motherboard manual but a guy messes it up despite the instructions- He needs to get is IQ checked. If a guy knows how to install software- bios flash is no difference and modern mobos do need bios updates for better compatibility with existing hardware. Same goes for drivers as well. Its pretty obvious, in this day of age people dont update their system- hardware and software, then they are just flushing their money.

circular_q

Broken In
Just because some arrogant forums do silly things like banning people for not using a Rs. 2000 PSU doesn't mean we have to toe their line.

While I agree that a PSU can take down all of your components slowly like cancer, spending Rs. 4000 for a so called good cabinet+PSU when you commonly get them for Rs. 1500 doesn't make sense in many cases, especially when one has to completely upgrade in 4 years any way.

And in the case of the motherboard, it has come with a manufacturer installed piece of software (firmware in this case). So there is a great chance that modifying it will affect the warranty for the hardware. It's the same principle as in the case of mobile phones. The original poster needs to get it clarified from the manufacturer of the motherboard before attempting to flash his BIOS.

amitash

Intel OCer
^
1. It is ABSOLUTELY necassary to buy a psu from a good reputed brand...An intex PSU that I used to use just fried my mobo and gfx card simultaneously so this does make sense...IT is one of those expenditures you will have to make for a good stable system.

2.Motherboard manufacturers WILL allow warranty PROVIDED you try to flash the Bios from the ones given in the manufacturers site and not any third party Bios.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
I dont think banning people who dont talk sense at all is silly. Some people either fail to understand or will go through any extreme measure to just fulfill their silly fantasy. Its plain logic- you are paying for something which is powering your entire core system and its responsible to protect as much as it can at the same time. Prevention is better than cure. For many- including in places like India, people will pay good money to power and protect their investment provided its feasible and it does the job. The odd crowd is just clueless. This is we as technical sound people step in and help others. But some just make other people's jobs more tougher by spreading idiotic comments. People dont research. More the advance a system goes, more protection it needs. People spending 10k on a card, 6k on a proccy, 6k on a mobo, 3k on a hard drive and 2k on rams cant spend 3-4k which is meant to power and protect all this. And besides, its the make of the product that needs to be emphasized on- not the cost. There's a heaven and Earth difference between cheap and a value for money product. Cheap is mostly not value for money.

Ecstasy

a.k.a VipER
Looks like a clear case of 'Corrupted Windows'. Just try a fresh install of Windows from a good working CD at 1 go and not like installing then removing cd then using different cd then again the 1st cd. I don't think it works that way.

Goodluck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom