New PC randomly starts up and crashes.

Anish Rao

Right off the assembly line
Hello,a few days ago i bought a new pc, assembled based on the suggestions of various members of this forum,

The config is
  • AMD athlon 2 x4 635 (2.9ghz)
  • MSI p45 motherboard.
  • 2x2gb 1333mhz ddr3 kingston ram
  • 500 gb seagate 7200rpm HDD.
  • sapphire 1gb HD5750
  • lg dvd writer.
  • Cooler master elite 310 casing.
  • Zebronics Platinum 500W PSU.
On the first day, it worked fine, except for once or twice when the comp froze while i was browsing the net. Nothing worked not even the task manager etc. so i had to reset it twice. Then, on the 2nd day, the computer refused to start. I opened to case and didnt see any lights or anything on the motherboard, despite the computer being powered. So i took it to the person who sold it to me, and it started fine there. he told me there was a problem with the power cord, and gave me a replacement. After i got home it worked fine, until i started playing world of warcraft. ( was playing at very low settings and a low resolution which shouldnt strain this GPU)

Then , suddenly it crashed while i was playing it. This happened two times. so i shut it down for a while. Now when i try to power it up, it refuses to turn on. no lights, no fan, not even the motherboard light can be seen.

hope you'll can help me with this issue.

jerrin_ss5

Never give up!!
pretty strange !!! did the led's on mo-bo lit up at the other place !!!
if so then there's some power supply problem at ur place !!!
try using UPS to correct the power problem
if there are no LED's on mo-bo then try using one RAM stick at a time
cause even ur RAM can be at fault !!!

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
How can you have an AMD on a P45.

:rofl: nice catch there :lol:

@Anish Rao, please change that PSU to a better one (no. not Cooler Master or iBall Splinter or any such low grade ones). this should solve your problem unless you really using an AMD proccy on a Intel P45 chipset.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
:rofl: nice catch there :lol:

@Anish Rao, please change that PSU to a better one (no. not Cooler Master or iBall Splinter or any such low grade ones). this should solve your problem unless you really using an AMD proccy on a Intel P45 chipset.[/QUOTE]

He cannot be. He typed it incorrect, or misunderstood the configuration. We should wait for the OP to clarify.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
well, maybe OP was right. look here: MSI 785GM-P45

also i know Intel uses Land grid array for contacts & AMD uses pin grid array so they won't fit into one another.

OP
A

Anish Rao

well, maybe OP was right. look here: MSI 785GM-P45

also i know Intel uses Land grid array for contacts & AMD uses pin grid array so they won't fit into one another.

What Sam Shab linked was the exact motherboard i have, The MSI 785GM-P45. and it does say in that link it supports athlon II processors.

Before when i was playing world of warcraft at real low settings, it crashed. and when it rebooted i got an error message saying there was a " a hypertransport sync flood error"

so after reading a few more posts, i tried starting the pc with just one Ram Stick and, it booted successfully. Now will test it with World of warcraft to see if it still crashes.

Thanks for the quick response :)

jerrin_ss5

Never give up!!
so then it means ur RAM is at fault get it replaced !!
to confirm to ur RAM is at fault run a memtest application from ubuntu live cd or dos application

ssb1551

Technomancer
Boy!!you must be quite a gutsy guy to run your new rig on a crappy Zebronics 500W PSU!!Please change the PSU dude if you want your system to run for a year or two!!

OP
A

Anish Rao

ok, will try Replacing the PSU with a Corsair 650w today.

and btw here's a screenshot of speedfan showing the voltages and temp's in case it helps.

*i53.tinypic.com/2a9cl68.jpg

OP
A

Anish Rao

Ok,finally managed to get them to replace it with a corsair cx600 PSU. voltages are pretty much stable now i guess, Bios says
cpuvcore - 1.352v
3.3v - 3.296
5v- 5.016v
12v- 11.968v

corsair CX600

Temp is at around 33c system temp and 36c cpu core temp

My comp boots up fine now, however, the 2nd half of my problem , the issue with my comp restarting when i play world of warcraft and/or use firefox, persists.
Strangely when i play games such as call of duty Modern Warfare etc, on max settings at 1920x1080, the computer is very stable.
Going to post on world of warcraft forums to find out, but since it also crashed when i used firefox, i wonder if its an issue with the drivers or something?
Updated catalyst drivers for my sapphire HD5750 recently and will try updating BIOS drivers today. anything else that could cause this?

UPDATE: instead of crashing, my comp went into a hard lock, or hard freeze today when i tried opening world of warcraft.

EDIT: looking through the event logs, i found 2 common issues that kept reappearing. after searching the net, i found someone else who had a similar problem

*www.techspot.com/vb/topic131382.html

Last edited:

Piyush

Lanaya
^^leave wow and ff
and go for runescape and chrome
:lol: just kiddin'

do tell us when u overcome this strange problem

Top Bottom