New Hard Disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritish

Journeyman
hi ,
I bought a 320 GB Seagate hard disk with USB casing.
But when I connected it with my laptop, it does not read it.
What should I do. If it needs a formatting how shall it be done, as it is not showing any drive even in DOS mode.

Please suggest.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
this doesnt seem to be a problem with the hdd but rather 1 with the usb casing; try using another usb port

First u have to make partition of the HDD using FDISK or any other disk partition utility. After that format the partitions and then only your HDD will get detected.

For making partitions you have to connect the HDD to any Desktop PC. If you dont have access to any Desktop PC then ask your vendor to make partitions on the HDD.

pushkaraj

In the zone
hi ,
But when I connected it with my laptop, it does not read it.
What should I do. If it needs a formatting how shall it be done, as it is not showing any drive even in DOS mode.

Please suggest.
Connect ur usb hard disk.
Right-click on my computer and click on manage. Now on the left hand side click on Disk management. It will show u all the disks that are connected in ur pc, including ur usb hard disk. If it is a new hard disk then you need to format and partition the hard disk. That can be done by right-clicking on the hard disk icon.

reachrishikh

Broken In
Don't listen to the other 2 posters, iMav is right, there is a problem with the USB casing.

Also, did you buy the 'R-Driver III - USB 2.0 to Sata/IDE cable' with the black box? I bought one recently, and that batch seems to have an inherent problem, so you can further narrow down the issue.

Angad singh

Broken In
Hey dude pushkaraj is right whenever u buy a new HD u have to format it .... just follow the instructions given by pushkaraj... ur HD will work...

OP
R

ritish

Journeyman
But I have used it as a normal hard disk, that is directly into the PC Bus & now I want to convert it to USB hard disk. So I got it cased & now it does not detect even.
what can be done...

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
well u need to try the differnet usb ports as i said before try connecting it to the back usb ports of ur pc and other ports of ur laptop also chk whether the casing is wrking

OP
R

ritish

Journeyman
but before formatting it it detected the hard disk saying "SATA connected to IDE", but after that it said "your hardware may not work properly".
but now its not showing that even.

pushkaraj

In the zone
hi ,
i assumed it was new hard disk so i told u how to format the hard disk.

Anyways, try out iMav's and Hackattack's suggestions. If that dont work, then get the casing checked from your vendor or check it yourself by connecting some other hard disk.

pushkaraj

In the zone
^^ The usb enclosures are the usual culprits in most of the cases. And the worst part is that they almost always fail after the 6 month warranty gets over:mad:

OP
R

ritish

Journeyman
What I did is when it said " Your hardware may not work properly",
I formatted and partitioned it from a pc through a direct connection (non USB). Later when I enclosed it and tried to use as a USB in laptop, no reaction is seen from the laptop.

So what could have happened. Is it for I formatted it using a PC with direct connection with partitions that it does not support the USB connection or it is because of some fault from the casing side.

Plz provide ur views.

What I did is when it said " Your hardware may not work properly",
I formatted and partitioned it from a pc through a direct connection (non USB). Later when I enclosed it and tried to use as a USB in laptop, no reaction is seen from the laptop.

So what could have happened. Is it for I formatted it using a PC with direct connection with partitions that it does not support the USB connection or it is because of some fault from the casing side.

Plz provide ur views.

its definitely the USB casing that is creating the problem. your HDD is fine since u have made partitions and formatted it. try changing ur casing.

OP
R

ritish

Journeyman
Issue Solved!!!!!!
It was because of the jumper in the wrong position.
Thanks all for your views. It was definitely informative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom