New Graphics Card

Devrath_ND

Obsessed with Technology
Hi friends,

My XFX 8600GT graphics card died few days back. I have given for repair. Is it worth repairing or buying a new one ??

My Config is,

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
2.50 GB DDR2
MSI 7327 (K9AGM2)
Zebronics 400W PSU (My PC is some 3-4 years old :p)

My screen resolution is 1440X900.. And i want to play all the latest games at decent settings..

Please advice ??

Hi Devrath,

I would suggest you to go fir the new card instead.
Even i got 8600GT which stopped working recently. :-|
Its a dying breed . If you want to play the latest dx11 games at decent settings then you must grab a new card. :smile:

Since you have a 400W psu u can go for HD5670 or GTX260.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
GTX 260 on a Zebronics 400w? The PSU will die and perhaps take everything with it.

Max you should go is with AMD HD 6570, HD 5670 or HD 6670 GDDR5 as these are power efficient cards and very much faster than your 8600 GT. A proper PSU is recommended but these are the only cards fit enough to run in an el-cheapo PSU.

Next, if you want a faster graphic card...your processor would be a bottleneck. You can consider buying a new PC if you want to.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Hi friends,

My XFX 8600GT graphics card died few days back. I have given for repair. Is it worth repairing or buying a new one ??

My Config is,

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
2.50 GB DDR2
MSI 7327 (K9AGM2)
Zebronics 400W PSU (My PC is some 3-4 years old :p)

My screen resolution is 1440X900.. And i want to play all the latest games at decent settings..

Please advice ??

i guess the card is not under warranty. if it is so & you don't want to change PSU (it is highly recommended though), look for HD5670 512Mb. or HD6670 1Gb from MSI with dual fan.

OP
D

Devrath_ND

Obsessed with Technology
Would buying one of those cards be enough for playing all the games at descent settings ? New PC cant afford now.. Or may be.. Lol need to talk with parents.. But this present config will it be able to handle for another 2 years ??

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
if you keep the resolution same, HD6670 should be able to play almost all games at the low-mid settings over next 2years.

OP
D

Devrath_ND

Obsessed with Technology
Wow that would be great.. Which is the best online site to buy it from ?? I would not mind spending a few bucks more if the delivery is fast.. And an exact model and brand if specified would be great.. And what about the warranty ?? Can i ask my dealer to take care of that if any problem comes rather than contacting the company directly ?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
try Flipkart & SMCInternational. Itwares mayn't have the GPU but call them. they usually have these kind of gaming hardware in stock but mayn't list it in their website. lastly check primeabgb too.

but your processor can be a bottleneck & your PSU a disaster. try to change PSU soon.

OP
D

Devrath_ND

Obsessed with Technology
Hey :) I am too excited buying this one so forgive me.. So SMC International is the one i should go for.. I would love to buy though flipkart though if that was available there :(

OP
D

Devrath_ND

Obsessed with Technology
I have some doubts here..

Is this all right ?? Because in the GPU clock it says 800 MHz but in GPU core clock its 100 MHz..

Am I missing something here ??

*img850.imageshack.us/img850/6678/gpum.gif

*img829.imageshack.us/img829/3563/gpu1.gif

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
Thats the power saving feature of the card it runs at lower clocks during 2D application
try running unigine heaven benchmark & monitor the clocks u will get the accurate

Reactions: ico

CA50

Cyborg Agent
@Devrath_ND , thats actually better, because it saved power and life of the GPU, as it is running on lower clocks.

Don't worry, it will work at its full speed once a graphics hungry program is executed.

Top Bottom