New External HDD 2 TB WD not getting recognized/detected

ajayritik

Technomancer
I got my new External HDD 2 TB today and when I connected to my PC it said unable to install device drivers and the HDD is not getting recognized.
I have WD 1 TB External HDD which is working fine.
Is there something I can do? I tried swapping the ports as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Guys anyone?

- - - Updated - - -

Guys please help!

Flash

Lost in speed
1. Check your "Devices and printer" after connecting the 2TB HDD.
2. If it appears with an exclamation mark - right click and select "Troubleshoot". Most of the driver problem, should be fixed by this.

Also check, your "Device manager > Disk drives" after connecting the 2TB HDD.
If it appears, uninstall the drivers of the drive and try updating manually.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
The above didn't work. How can checking if its working on other PC help me?

- - - Updated - - -

Guys anyone?

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
i will phrase it again. update your windows.

When I went to Windows Update section. It said one major update and several minor updates to be done. The Major update was related to some Malicious Program so I did that and since the list was too long for the Minor updates I selected them all and while it was getting updated I got a message saying no space in C:
Could that be because there were too many updates waiting to happen.
Any workaround to fix this problem alone with Windows update?

Flash

Lost in speed
Have you uninstalled all the things under 'Universal Serial Bus Controllers', and restarted the system?
Upon restart, it will install all the drivers by itself; and then hook your Ex-HDD and check whether the drivers are installing...

*www.faqforge.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/usb2.png

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
@ flash, I tried the above step. However the HDD is still not getting recognised.
As soon as I do the above I get message Drivers are not successfully installed.

- - - Updated - - -

I know in ebay we have this option of contacting the seller is there anyway we can contact flipkart for this?

Flash

Lost in speed
@ flash, I tried the above step. However the HDD is still not getting recognised.
As soon as I do the above I get message Drivers are not successfully installed.

- - - Updated - - -

I know in ebay we have this option of contacting the seller is there anyway we can contact flipkart for this?
Check the HDD in another system; I guess, it's the problem with the driver installation in your PC, not in the HDD.
If it's still not working, contact flipkart as it got 30 Day Replacement Guarantee, if the HDD is within that period.

As a last option, contact WD - if you're sure that fault lies in the HDD.

Flash

Lost in speed
^ Then the problem is with your OS, probably the drivers.
Check this:

*wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detai...2LzIvdGltZS8xMzk5NjU3MzkzL3NpZC9HWERHa1JUbA==

- - - Updated - - -

manually install the drivers from WD website.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
^ Then the problem is with your OS, probably the drivers.
Check this:

*wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detai...2LzIvdGltZS8xMzk5NjU3MzkzL3NpZC9HWERHa1JUbA==

- - - Updated - - -

manually install the drivers from WD website.
I checked for the drivers from the link you mentioned already but there are no drivers available.
I even registered my product but couldn't find anything.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
I had the OS installed on another HDD and booted with that HDD. Voila now the new External HDD is being detected.
But one thing baffles me how come if I use the same OS DVD to install previously then it didn't recognize with that install. However when I used the same OS DVD with fresh install on different HDD it's working.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
There can be lots of things involved with an old windows installation like corrupted registry entries / system files or any other software conflicts which a new installation can only solve.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
This problem is back to haunt me again. I had to reinstall my OS and thought that with fresh install this will work now.
But same problem persists.

- - - Updated - - -

Guys any suggestions?

emailvarunchandak

In the zone
This problem is back to haunt me again. I had to reinstall my OS and thought that with fresh install this will work now.
But same problem persists.

- - - Updated - - -

Guys any suggestions?

Tell me your motherboard model.... Also tell me where are you inserting the USB cable..

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Small background. Initially when I bought the External HDD it was not being detected by my OS installed on my primary Internal HDD which is IDE.

Later I installed OS on my other Internal HDD which is SATA to just test it. And here on this SATA HDD my new HDD is getting detected.
Now due to some reason I had to format and reinstall OS on my IDE HDD just yesterday and I was hoping that with fresh install of OS my initial problem would go.

Intel DG965RY is motherboard.

Top Bottom