New beginner on linux....

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeptuneTech

Bada Is Doing Fine
:?......Hi there....
i have been using windows for a long time....and someone suggested on me post my querry on linux here...well i want to switch to Linux...but i dont kno how i can get started.....wouldsomebodky guide me please????:?

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Get an .iso image of a Linux distro (plenty of em on the Digit DVDs)
Burn the distro on a disc
put disc in tray
start the computer
hit F12
boot into the Linux distro (mostly will be a Live CD)
enough to get you started?

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Get an .iso image of a Linux distro (plenty of em on the Digit DVDs)
Burn the distro on a disc
put disc in tray
start the computer
hit F12
boot into the Linux distro (mostly will be a Live CD)
enough to get you started?

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
I'd suggest to start with Linux Mint if you are newbie to Linux. U'll get it on this month's(march) DVD. Just copy the ISO in your hdd and follow Anorion's instruction.

Rahim

Married!
^Its KDE4 Mint 8, shouldn't kde be a little too much for him? GNOME might suit him....

Anyway, NeptuneTech, most of the linux distros can be used in a Live Mode, whereby one can run and use the OS without actually installing in their hard drive :) So basically you boot from the CD, play with the OS and find out if all your hardwares work or not. Once satisfied, just install :)
Finding a distro is really challenging since there are 100s of them. Ubuntu, Mint, openSUSE, Mandriva, PCLOS, etc are geared towards a new user of linux. CHoose anyone of them and you would be fine.

Dont forget to read the FAQs and if you want confusion checkout distrowatch.com :D

Last edited:

hotshot05

I luv Digit
^Its KDE4 Mint 8, shouldn't kde be a little too much for him? GNOME might suit him....

Is'nt it the other way round?
KDE is more graphical and more similar to Windows rather than Gnome. I think KDE suits a newbie user coming from Windows rather than Gnome.

But even I am an amateur at Linux and so would like some clarifications.

Rahim

Married!
^GNOME follows Keep it Simple, Stupid' (KISS) philosophy, which doesn't over-whelm a new user. KDE is a geek's DE with options galore and looks-wise, is a clone of Windows 7 et all, which is not a bad thing.

You would agree that Linux takes some time to adjust (its all in the human mind) and one should make life easier as much as possible.

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
@a_rahim - Actually KDe is not the clone of WIN 7 but its the other way round ;)

@NeptuneTech - Others have pointed you out as to how to begin. I will advise you to be patient & not to expect Linux to run as Windows. Patience is of utmost importance in reading documentation, exploring, troubleshooting. If you have them, it will help you. Finally, read from my blog in my signature - Layman Linux which is written to help Linux newbies like you. :)

OP
NeptuneTech

NeptuneTech

Bada Is Doing Fine
Well guys...LINUX is just like a Alien to me.....Just like a pre school kid doesnt kno what is sin^2a+cos^2a, i couldnt get most of the advices u gave me.....can u all please make ur language simpler....ps...
I am about to start a new age 4 my computer ...thats why i want to be an able admnistrator...

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
Well guys...LINUX is just like a Alien to me.....Just like a pre school kid doesnt kno what is sin^2a+cos^2a, i couldnt get most of the advices u gave me.....can u all please make ur language simpler....ps...
I am about to start a new age 4 my computer ...thats why i want to be an able admnistrator...

Read the post on this page from bottom to top & you should understand what do we mean. Its a simple process to get Linux up & running. Its not that difficult as you may think. If you get stuck up anywhere comment there or here & we will help you out. :)

Last edited:
OP
NeptuneTech

NeptuneTech

Bada Is Doing Fine
the words i am confused in:- GNOME.....KDE4......what are those exactly???are they versions of LINUX??

Sathish

Debian Gnu/Linux User
no confusion..
just start with Linux Mint instead of ubuntu.
just google the terms you dont know.. there is variety of definitions on web (especially for newbies ) and lot of free ebooks on linux.. just observe the basics and start with Linux Mint ..

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
please do not use the KDE version of Mint. Currently using it, and it is pretty buggy. a_rahim is right... it can be overwhelming for someone just starting out with Linux.

6x6

Journeyman
^ which internet connection you are using? it is very important for you that your internet should work on linux without any problems.

best of luck.
:)

OP
NeptuneTech

NeptuneTech

Bada Is Doing Fine
Well broda...im having wonderful environment on Linux...my internet connections are allright....and in fact Linux is Rockin my laptop....and im learnin to get into the terminal now.....

Rahim

Married!
^Ditch the Terminal for now :D Just embrace your new life :) As Net is working it would be easier for you to solve any problem if they arise.
----------------------
Since Linux was command line OS and the Graphical User Interface provided on top of this layer, is called Desktop Environment(DE). GNOME, KDE4, LXDE, XFCE4 are all DEs.
You will learn a lot riding this beast we call Linux :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom