New 3D chip transistor may reach 50GHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pathik

Google Bot
Japanese R&D firm Unisantis says it will create and sell a new kind of "3-D" transistor that provides 10 times the computing speed of current chips.

It is entering a 24-month collaborative agreement with Singapore's Institute of Microelectronics for simultaneous design work.

The companies claim processor clockspeeds could reach between 20GHz and 50GHz by using a 3-D structure that arranges components vertically, as opposed to the horizontal design of our forefathers. The device is dubbed the Surrounding Gate Transistor.

And just as the alarming appearance of a sphere confounds — and yes — frightens a resident of Flatland, so shall the eldrich machinations of this 3-D transistor do unto this Register hack.

But rest assured brighter minds are on the case.

The design work is headed by CTO of Unisantis Fujio Masuoka - a man credited with the invention of flash memory. He'll be joined by some 30 academics, engineers and scientists on the project.

According to Masuoko, SGT is a vertical silicon pillar surrounded by memory cells, electrical contacts and various other unnamed components (our guess: the screeching souls of the damned).

The 3-D structure apparently reduces the distance that electrons travel, generates less heat and costs less to produce than existing chips.

"The SGT also allows further improvements in silicon-based semiconductors, in terms of transistor size and processing speed, for at least 30 more years before the theoretical limits are reached. Such improvements are necessary for new-generation IC chips to meet the computing power demanded by IT products and computing networks of ever-increasing functionality and complexity," said Masuoka. ®

Source

fun2sh

Pawned!... Beyond GODLIKE
baaaaaaaap re 50gigs...... mera c2d n my cousines q2d to barbad hogaya :shocked:

thanks for the info dude. but is it possible within SAY 5YEARS ??

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
Truely a superb news.
When will it see the light?
Ie when will it reach the consumers-

Many these kinda news end up not even coming up later a year.but i wish this to come.

All the best to dude's who are researching it

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
I can see my Son begging for a Intel Core2 "60" or "80" with 50 GHz Each core and a HDD of mere 10 TB as its standard and DDR 4 16 GB Quad Channel with Ultra thin 30" Widescreen and a nVidia 16* Card in Double SLI stuff with 1 GB Memory ;)

*and he want Ubuntu as Windows is outdated stuff :D

Last edited:

azzu

AJJU
tech_wiz it wud be a Ddr5 :D
and a N19 :D with 1TB mem
and ofcourse with 4.o Ghz of proccy ;) NJOY

blackpearl

The Devil
Dude! these transistors would probably be used in microwave communcation. Currently, transistors cannot handle the high frequencies used in microwave communication. It doesn't neceassrily mean you will see 50ghz processors.

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
I will run crysis and cod4 at the same time on a vista ultimate,with my own music running at the background,with azureus downloading my stuff..:-D
And dont forget...my nod32 running a deep scan of my system...:-D :-D
Too much huh..:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom