New 200GB Segate SATA HDD making noise......

Status
Not open for further replies.

jk0806

Right off the assembly line
Hi,

I got a new system with 200GB Segate SATA just one week back and it makes noise whenever harddisk gets activated. Actually my distributer replaced me with a new harddisk, though I check it in his place itself I did't get any noise but when I installed in my Home PC again I am getting the same noise as my old HD did.

Is this any problem? or it is normal. Will it reduce my PC performance? Kindly suggest me any solution.

Or is this the problem due to any voltage/earthing issues? I am little bit worried about it :-(

Thanks in advance.

ramharis

Broken In
check if the noise comes from the HDD or from any of the fans

and try using a stabilizer for the power supply it might be due to the ups and downs in the power sypply

OP
J

jk0806

Thanks for your immediate reply Ram.

I checked it, the noise is from HD.

I will try with stabilizer for power supply. Will it get ok or I have replace my HD?

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
r the screw proply fixed and tight???
was there noise when u checked it at vendors place???
if not ..there is loose connection in ur cabinet...check it

OP
J

jk0806

Thanks for ur reply wizrulz....

Though I remove my HD from cabinet, I get the same crieck noise.

Mr.Cool

Broken In
Same problem with mine and friends' Seagate SATA II 300Gb Hard Drives. Griniding problem just doesn't go. My friends don't seem to care about it, but I'm going to get the HDD replaced cause it keeps lagging too.

Maybe this is a problem with Seagate SATA HDDs.

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
Seagate tech support tell that this noise is "STIR" (Seek to increase Reliability), a technology built into the drive controller that randomly seeks when the drive is idle in order to keep the drive head from sitting in one place too long (which creates heat that can potentially harm the integrity of the media).

Got this infor frm one of the site....
But u have not answered ...is the same noise occurring at vendors place??

OP
J

jk0806

Oh sorry wizrulz,

I didt get any noise in vendor place.

That is why I think this may be due to voltage/earthing problem at my home.

I may be wrong.

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
jk0806 said:
Oh sorry wizrulz,

I didt get any noise in vendor place.

That is why I think this may be due to voltage/earthing problem at my home.

I may be wrong.

if u feel so carry ur CPU to frnd/vendors place..and check if noise persist...if it does it could be STIR ;) liek the seagate tech say

blackpearl

The Devil
wizrulz said:
Seagate tech support tell that this noise is "STIR" (Seek to increase Reliability), a technology built into the drive controller that randomly seeks when the drive is idle in order to keep the drive head from sitting in one place too long (which creates heat that can potentially harm the integrity of the media).

Got this infor frm one of the site....
But u have not answered ...is the same noise occurring at vendors place??

But why does it make noise? The HD isn't supposed to make noise even if its seeking.

abhipal

Journeyman
I was having same problem. Check whether your cabinet is making noise. In my case cabinet was making noise due to loose bolts.

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
My friend bought a new system last week with a Seagate SATA 200 GB Hard Disk. Like you said, its making terrible noise whenever there is a disk activity. I called up the distributor about the problem. They just dismissed saying that it is normal with every hard disk:D and refuses to replace it with a new one.:(

AFAIK the sound is of the head moving, and is not known to cause any problems, but it is terribly irritating, that too in a new system.:-x

papai_mcc

Broken In
I have hitachi 160GB SATAII which make noise during activity, from the date of buying it, six months ago, but no other problem till now. They won't replace it for noise only, unless other problems appear.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
I have a 80 GB Hitachi SATA which is 14 months old and which makes such noise from the very beginning. But so far no other problem. But I find the noise very irritating. Heard that Samsung are good from noise point of view.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
i too have 80GB Hitachi Deskstar. (came with HP Pavilion desktop). it does make noise (clicking noise) but isnt that Normal. :confused:
even my cousin's Laptop HD makes that kinda noise.

Hitachi HDD is really superb, till date i havent even had any bad sector...( similar things) or any other type o problem. No errors, no data loss, nothing. i dont even have a UPS & the PC has suffered 10-15 power cuts.

i've seen may people posting problems about HDD's (in many forums), 90% of the about Seagate, but till date i havent seen one regarding Hitachi.

thats why i've decided to go for 120/160GB Hitachi HDD.

Arsenal_Gunners

Human Spambot
I also bought a seagate 250 gb(best buy silver in digit) last month.It is my first seagate disk earlier I had samsungs.Good performance but like they say,too much noise.It feels irritating especially in winters when everything else is turned off.

escape7

What? Where? How?
There is no problem with your hdd, its just that the logic gates of your hdd make noise when the data is executed or whenever the hdd is accessed. Logic gates are physical stuff in your hdd which is at work while executing data, this is the reason it makes noise...

Kniwor

Learner
all those with seagate disks can check the integrity using this tool by Seagate, if it fails, Seagate will replace it.

*www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?loc...toid=720bd20cacdec010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom