Networking, IP related doubts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Netjunkie

In the zone
Networking, IP related doubts

1. My friend & I connect to the internet through different ISP’s, both of us using Win XP. Now, if I know his IP address can I connect to his system through telnet, ftp or Remote Desktop Connection & transfer files? Is it possible to explore his harddrive & transfer files provided that he allows me to connect to him despite his firewall?

2. How can I use Hyper Terminal to connect to a different computer on the internet using TCP/IP (Winsock) protocol?

3. Are there any such utilities available for Linux other than Telnet?

saROMan

QA Juggler
well yes you can directly connect to his HDD...d/l Limewire and install it..there u will get a option to directly connect to his comp....

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
1) Yes you can connect transfer files.

2) Hyper Terminal uses modems to connect so I am not sure about this.

3) SSH is something you can look which gives you secure access to machines. Try a tool called Putty. It should satisfy most of yours needs.

theraven

Technomancer
for using hyperterminal u need to be connected to the person directly i think

as for the other methods
u need to first find out if ur isp blocks those ports or no cuz most of them do
for ftp server u need port 21 and a software like SERV-U to set up a server

theres a tut by me on RDC i think in the tut section
lemme know if u cant find it .

telnet : no idea :p

digen

Youngling
Establishing a connection using telnet is as simple as

Start>run>telnet www.thinkdigit.com 80
This would connect you to www.thinkdigit.com on port 80 which is the default HTTP port or webserver port.
But the above wont allow you to transfer files.So this is not wha you want.

I would rather suggest UltraVNC.My first choice VNC.
It allows not only remote excecution but also file transfer which is exactly what you want.But this sounds cool as long as you use it in a local environment i.e in a LAN[Local Area Network].But in your case you will be connecting across the internet which will be a serious slowdown.Although I havent tried it over the internet the remote connection will lag.Incase you have a fast pipe[internet connection] at both ends then you dont have to worry about it.

Otherwise another option you have is setting up a FTP server.This wont allow you to view each others hard drives & settings but will be a feasable option to transfer huge files if which is what you are looking for.
Keep in mind though the internet connection also matters in this regard.

digen

Youngling
Thats true.Even so in the case of a firewall in which you've to ultimately port forward the appropriate ports to get it working.
The author of this thread did not post about his setup.

mediator

Technomancer
U gotta have ftp port open on ur friends pc, if wanna connect to his pc via ftp!!

Status
Not open for further replies.