Networking from 2nd bedroom to shop below building

Status
Not open for further replies.

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
We have an old Pentium 1 laptop with Networking Support. My mom is a doc... till now she was havin the clinic in a hall of our 2 joined flats.. now v hv got a shop 4 rent.. and she wants a computerised system for management. Since my box is a server I can write PHP/Python app using MySQL to accomplish this task. Leave the program part... What about the networking ? Wiring the cable would cost a lot coz the distance from my box to the shop downstairs is quite large (about 50+ m). So we're thinking of using WLAN so as to cut costs. is it possible ? if yes how (image based illustration would be highly appreciated but no probs if u can't ;) ).

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
The biggest advantage of going wireless is mobility. Unless I missed something in your post, the computers are to be placed in fixed locations. IMHO, given the security and reliability of a wired network, the cost of 50 mtrs or so of CAT5 cable @ Rs.10-15 per metre is a minor investment for an important professional application.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
For 50 meters, you will hafta use repeaters as a single rj45 lan cable won't work. Also i'm not sure if the older machine is PCI 2.2 comaptible. most of the desktop wifi adaptors use this standard. It may or may not work.

The best thing is to haf a hub kept in between the two end points and use a wired connection. Thats fast, reliable, cheap and easy to setup.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
^Yes. The limit is usually quoted as 100 meters (a round figure). It works with longer lengths if set up properly with a good quality cable.

OP
nileshgr

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
I have a switch here on the network which connects internet router to dad's lappy & my box

So, I think the only way is Wired LAN ???

Also the shop isn't ours its rented and the owner says that he may sell it after 1 year or so if he gets customer. :(

So in that case the whole wiring will go waste!

It has a PCMCIA LAN Card.

Wireless LAN is preferred coz if the shop is sold, etc., etc...

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Not exactly the "only" way, but the best way IMO.

As for the other things, your values may differ from mine. But, again IMO, even if the shop is sold after 1 yr (which doesn't seem to be a certainty), less than 1k spent on an important business application for one year is not really a waste. Who knows, the new owner may also let you stay on. But it's your family's decision.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
One more thing. If you're going to network only two computers with LAN cards, you don't need a hub or switch. But you do need to make the cable as a crossover type.

OP
nileshgr

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
internet router to switch; switch to my pc; switch to dad's lappy; and now new one....

so i need a cross-over type cable for this purpose ?

OP
nileshgr

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
But I do have a crossover cable which connects switch to dad's lappy and it works well... what about this.. ? :?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom