Networking between two pc

kartik1955

Right off the assembly line
I have a laptop with window 7 and a desktop with XP. I have no problem accessing internet through using a BSNL type 2 modem. I want to have file sharing between the two. Is it possible with the help of the modem?

No, one cannot do it using a modem. To share files, between the 2 computers, you need to get yourself a crossover ethernet cables. You can get thenm in the market for very cheap rates, and even you can make it yourself at home, but you have to get the RJ-45 connectors and ethernet cables, along with the clippers.

Then you can manually chanage the settings of your local area connection, and you can be connected with the other computer.

Just search on the internet on this topic, and you will get a dozen of webpages explaining this.

Kev.Ved

Journeyman
3 ways to connect:
1. A cross over cable
2. A switch
3. A router

As the concern is to only share files which would not be frequent, disregard the 2nd, 3rd option.

Get a crossover cable of decent length. If you know IT system admin guys working in small offices/college IT labs/local computer shops they can crimp it to a longer length too. Set IP address to the LAN interface of both the computers. Set the required folders as Shared. Go to Start>Run and type in \\IP address of the other computer. It will list all shared folders.

Rajesh345

Youngling
can u provide model no of it type 2. modem. if it have two Ethernet port or 1 Ethernet port & wireless it can b done. give more info about it modem

harmandeep

VirTuaLiZaTioN Freak
And Furthermore, if u are having Motherboards that were manufactured after 2006 --- then your ONBAORD Ethernet (LAN Card) has AUTO MDIX functionality - courtesy of which --- YOU can use STRAIGHT CABLE (normal networking cable) to Directly connect to SYSTEMS --- AUTO MDIX is also known as AUTO CROSSOVER.

Top Bottom