Netscape: End of an era

Status
Not open for further replies.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Netscape Navigator, the world's first commercial Web browser and the launch pad of the Internet boom, will be pulled off life support Feb. 1 after a 13-year run.

Its current caretakers, Time Warner Inc.'s AOL, decided to kill further development and technical support to focus on growing the company as an advertising business. Netscape's usage dwindled with Microsoft Corp.'s entry into the browser business, and Netscape all but faded away following the birth of its open-source cousin, Firefox.

Read On....

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
I used Netscape's latest version back then in sept 2007. It was much like a copy of firefox 2 for me. :rolleyes:

There is a statistics on the page below about browser shares in the internet :
*www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

The latest version is Navigator 9, do not seem that much people use it. :(

Last edited:
OP
NucleusKore

NucleusKore

TheSaint
I started using the internet in 1999. Those were the days of dial-up connection cyber cafes where a 56 kpbs (supposedly :) ) line would be shared by ten PCs. It would take an hour for me to open *www.eudoramail.com, check my mail, reply and logout. An hour cost Rs. 70/- those days. If you used internet explorer and the connection dropped or was too slow, you would be left with a silly refresh page and no way of getting back what you sat and typed for 5 or 10 minutes. That was the time I used Netscape, initially Netscape communicator, and later Netscape 4.75 which was a suite consisting of browser, composer and an email client. The beauty of netscape was that it never threw a silly refresh page at you if the connection dropped, just a pop up windows saying failed to connect to server with an ok button. you could continue from where you stopped once the internet connection was re-established. This is something Microsoft hasn't learned to incorporate in their browser, you still get that silly refresh page in the current versions of internet explorer, I guess they have patented it ;)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^^^ Nope, for 56kbps, but 33.3kbps :)

I used to use Netscape Communicator suite long back. But as soon the Gecko engine was used i felt that it was too heavy and I moved on... I've been using Opera ever since and started using FF after 1.5 alongwith it.

praka123

left this forum longback
I first used netscape only!back in 96!it was slow(yes!) also back in 2000? i was using some phoenix browser which died.then sticked to mozilla browser and lastly i found nirvana @ firefox :p
and as nucleuscore said,it is 56kbps shared cafe's everywhere.but i still remember,while i was in coimbattoor in 96-97,browsing charges where Rs40/hr.not rs70! :D

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Yeah, It was certainly no Rs.40!!! I was in Mumbai at that time I guess and the rates were expensive. I used to pay Rs.60 per hour only in 1998!

And that time, no other browser was popular only Navigator and IE. I always preferred the older Navigator (4.7).

axxo

99.9% Idle
netscape rendering was the best in those days....back in 97-98..we were on 33.3 kbps dialup modem connection......netscape throws graphics & text as and when it gets data transferred...but IE renders the page completely only after receiving all the information...so was continued to use netscape until happened to discover a better browser in the form of opera 3.0. Currently using firefox...my internet life doesnt see IE since its birth..

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
I used Netscape's latest version back then in sept 2007. It was much like a copy of firefox 2 for me. :rolleyes:

There is a statistics on the page below about browser shares in the internet :
*www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

The latest version is Navigator 9, do not seem that much people use it. :(
true, even I use Netscape and find it to be a imitation of Firefox (or may be the other way round)

praka123

left this forum longback
IIRC,back in 97,it is Rs40 and in 98-99 it is Rs30 and rumors that in Madras browsing charges are @ rs20/hr.I think am correct,else a serious bug is in my kernel(brain!)
and i said phoenix browser which i tried somewhere in 200"X" (forgot)

OP
NucleusKore

NucleusKore

TheSaint
netscape rendering was the best in those days....back in 97-98..we were on 33.3 kbps dialup modem connection......netscape throws graphics & text as and when it gets data transferred...but IE renders the page completely only after receiving all the information...

Yes correct, I missed out that point.

praka123

left this forum longback
so,i am wrong :confused: I remember browsing for rs50 @max during the 97 time.cant remember a single incidence of paying rs50+ :?
I may be wrong.anyways leave it :)
a fading memory of a light green desktop in a flickering CRT with Netscape icon shown in win95 (along with ie in some machines?) still i can remember :p and yeah,the bundling of IE with win98 and we(students) all switching to MSIE and hence no more netscaping :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom