Net telephony freed, call rates set to plunge further

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maverick340

Ambassador of Buzz
NEW DELHI: Consumers will soon be able to make STD calls as cheap as 10-40 paise and possibly make free local calls from their computers. Telecom regulator TRAI on Monday removed all curbs on internet telephony in the country, allowing internet service providers (ISPs) to terminate internet telephony calls on phones, including mobiles.

Till date, a call from a computer could legally be made only to another computer within the country, and not to a phone. (The policy regime, though, allowed domestic users to make international calls to a phone from their computer.)

For consumers, this means they can make calls from PCs to fixedline and mobile phones in India. They can also make a call to personal computers from their handsets.

The move ensures that rural India will be the biggest beneficiary as users would be able to make ultra-cheap calls from PCOs using this technology. Broadband growth is also likely to get a boost. Also, WiMax, a wireless broadband technology getting ready for launch in India, is a potential gainer from the move. Challenges remain in the form of low PC penetration—3.6%—in the country. The move is also aimed at clamping down on the grey market in the country where players have been offering such services illegally.
Source : ET

Edburg

In the zone
i also heard that local calls will be reduced to about 30p from 100p and that ISD calls will be down to 1-2 from 7-8....

clmlbx

Technomancer
I too heard but any good service that we can use for it (paid or even free )

Last edited:

nix

is this implemented or not? i heard that the tele cos are already lobbying to get this scheme cancelled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom