Net Neutrality Discussion

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
What is Net Neutrality and why is it important to all of us?

A:

Just like Comcast, Airtel is planning on violating Net Neutrality by introducing Airtel Zero. A service wherein end users would be able to access services by Airtel partners free of charge by allowing these partners to buy data from Airtel for this purpose. Which means that your access to services other than those or Airtel's partners would be solely at the discretion of Airtel. They would get the power to slow down the traffic to competitor services forcing you to use their partner services.

If such a plan were to succeed, the internet would be at the mercy of a few powerful players. ISPs would become the kingmakers, deciding who gets to run on their networks and who doesn't, subject to who pays up. Larger corporations who could afford their fees would run amok while start ups who can't afford it would run the risk of their projects not getting the traffic they deserve. This is totally unjust and against a free internet.

This thread is dedicated to voice your opinions about Net Neutrality and share news and updates regarding the developments on this front.

Shoot!

Edit:

A sample Net Neutrality law as drafted by members of /r/india: *docs.google.com/document/d/14F8Tg2yw5FiqzvQWRG_xl9CRy69sU95OSmIgisJj6Qw/edit?usp=sharing

Resources:

Save The Internet!

Last edited:
A

amit.tiger12

When they (TRAI) are taking decision about this???

Flash

Lost in speed
*www.change.org/p/rsprasad-trai-don...e-how-they-want-to-use-internet-netneutrality

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
A tale of how Airtel throttled bandwidth of Ogle, a video sharing startup.

Net Neutrality: Did Airtel Broadband throttle video startup Ogle? - MediaNama

- - - Updated - - -

Also a Net Neutrality law drafted by members of /r/india:

*docs.google.com/document/d/14F8Tg2yw5FiqzvQWRG_xl9CRy69sU95OSmIgisJj6Qw/edit

LeoTechLion

Broken In
I condemn Airtel's new money making plan.. AIRTEL ZERO. Let they get as minimum support from we Indians as their plan itself says (Zero). I support net neutrality.

Sent from my Spice Mi-498 using Digit, powered by appyet.com

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
These guys made a (somewhat cheesy) video highlighting net neutrality's analogy to electricity.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
They tried but because of public outcry, they put it on hold until TRAI introduced some regulations regarding the same. Airtel Zero is probably a result of the same just under a new name.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, Reddit India gets Mozilla India to support their campaign for Net Neutrality.

*twitter.com/MozillaIN/status/586245006228336640

Flash

Lost in speed
@gameranand - I guess, you're among this one, though you cancelled the order with this comment.

indiatoday said:
In the wake of the alleged deal between Flipkart and Airtel for a new program called Airtel Zero, which offers free access to Flipkart's mobile app, it appears consumers have started retaliating against the e-tailer.

After the deal, which goes against the idea of net neutrality, users have started rating the Flipkart app on Android '1 star'.
A number of users have given the app poor reviews on the basis of the net neutrality debate. Many have used the header - Net Neutrality matters.
Read more at: Consumers downvote Flipkart app after net neutrality controversy : News, News - India Today

gameranand

Living to Play
Guys writing here that you support Net Neutrality won't do anything. You need to act, spread the word and Email to TRAI with counter comment for their 20 questions. I can provide sample answers link from Reddit India as well, you can just edit some sentences and send them to TRAI email ID.
Please do this before 24 April 2015.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I made this thread so that people can better understand what Net Neutrality is and make better arguments when the topic comes up.

Top Bottom