Need your suggestions!!

Piyush

Lanaya
So the thing is, I was thinking of getting a R9 270X/ GTX 760 this March. But after talking to people about it, I realised that my CPU AMD Athlon II X4 640 will be the cause of bottleneck with any card powerful than 650TI/ 7850. So that means I have to get a new CPU too .
Please note that I have a CM GX 450W 85+ Bronze PSU (not the old GX series, that was pretty much cr@p).

So, if I overclock my CPU to reduce/remove bottleneck, then I dont think my PSU will able to cope up with OCed CPU and a GPU of that range. (or will it be able to? )
Or I can just sell off my current setup to get a new one, but it will cost me very much and I'm not in favour of doing this.
Even if I get a new PSU so as to accommodate OCed CPU (at least 3.4ghz from 3ghz), the new problem will be of temperature. Right now I have a CM Elite 335 cabinet.... not to expect anything good from it.

So what should I do? Even if plan to get all the rig a new one, I wont be doing it in one go, since I'll be purchasing all the stuff from my own balance this time :D
Need ideas guys !!

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
Now it all depends on how much are you content with. If you want a good graphic rendering for medium settings (high enough but not maxed out), you can still choose to pick up a 650TI/7850.
But if you think you want a little more than that as well as some future proofing of an year or so, you can go ahead and replace your chassis and the contents. Remember, a good PSU and chassis can stay longer. And CPU will have to be updated at some point of time soon.

Whichever case, you will have to change your PSU to a better unit.

Couple of things that I wanna know - Your budget and your gaming resolution?

OP
Piyush

Piyush

Lanaya
Well I never was fond of extreme settings gaming since my eyes starts to ache at those glorious settings :D
This is the main reason I cant play games like COD/ BF/ AC/ Crysis etc at max settings. I will be getting 22"screen not just for gaming but so as to watch full HD movies too.So consider 1080p with high textures with no or 2x AA.. thats all I need, nothing special.

Regarding budget, well I was planning to go for 760 and 22"LCD. I think it was 25K for GPU + LCD.And another 5K for PSU for worst case scenarios. But now I'm getting a feeling of changing my whole PC setup, thats why confused

Last edited:

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
Well I never was fond of extreme settings gaming since my eyes starts to ache at those glorious settings :D
This is the main reason I cant play games like COD/ BF/ AC/ Crysis etc at max settings. I will be getting 22"screen not just for gaming but so as to watch full HD movies too.So consider 1080p with high textures with no or 2x AA.. thats all I need, nothing special.

Regarding budget, well I was planning to go for 760 and 22"LCD. I think it was 25K for GPU + LCD.And another 5K for PSU for worst case scenarios. But now I'm getting a feeling of changing my whole PC setup, thats why confused

Now with that understanding, I still believe putting anything coupled to your Athlon is an investment that you make which you know is a loss. Its dated and more importantly, limits your purchase and bottlenecks it :p

If you consider to get your budget up (may be in installments), you can upgrade the system, starting with a good PSU, then choose your CPU and the GPU. Plan on your maximum budget for all and the buying sequence.

ASHISH65

Technomancer

First you get this stuff and test yourself,whether you are satisfied or not.In most gpu demanding games it will not bottleneck :)

else change setup later

OP
Piyush

Piyush

Lanaya
Hmm thank you for your inputs guys. Will bump this thread soon if I get new idea or something.

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
I have the same processor and Radeon 6850. The processor will definitely be a bottleneck. Battlefield 3 and most similar modern games have 100% CPU use, even though I've managed to OC the processor to 3.15 GHz (max I could get it stable on). You should definitely get at least an i3 IMO to prevent the processor from being a bottleneck.

OP
Piyush

Piyush

Lanaya
Hmm if you are saying all this after experiencing on first hand, then I think its necessary for me to get my CPU upgrade.
Also, recently heard about new AMD Mantle, will have to wait a bit now...

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
Hmm if you are saying all this after experiencing on first hand, then I think its necessary for me to get my CPU upgrade.
Also, recently heard about new AMD Mantle, will have to wait a bit now...

If you are waiting for mantle to emerge, the wait might be long and may prove useless too. My reasons to says so -

1) For now AMD has only listed HD 7xxx and 8xxx series alongside R2xx cards. And so getting a 7850 is your only option without upgrading the CPU. But this doesnt mean your CPU doesnt bottleneck the cards performance as mantle is an API that uses the GPU to render the processing in place of the CPU doing it. (I donno if I have put it right and am conveying my point).
2) Mantle is still an experimental API which is yet to be evolved and adapted by the game developers and so long way to go.

OP
Piyush

Piyush

Lanaya
I dunno anything about Mantle and its architecture advantages/working/limitations. But one think I'm now sure off is that my CPU is like EOL product now. I should better upgrade my Cpu+mobo+PSU first, no?
Then I can get GPU accordingly.

quicky008

Technomancer
So the thing is, I was thinking of getting a R9 270X/ GTX 760 this March. But after talking to people about it, I realised that my CPU AMD Athlon II X4 640 will be the cause of bottleneck with any card powerful than 650TI/ 7850. So that means I have to get a new CPU too .
Please note that I have a CM GX 450W 85+ Bronze PSU (not the old GX series, that was pretty much cr@p).

So, if I overclock my CPU to reduce/remove bottleneck, then I dont think my PSU will able to cope up with OCed CPU and a GPU of that range. (or will it be able to? )
Or I can just sell off my current setup to get a new one, but it will cost me very much and I'm not in favour of doing this.
Even if I get a new PSU so as to accommodate OCed CPU (at least 3.4ghz from 3ghz), the new problem will be of temperature. Right now I have a CM Elite 335 cabinet.... not to expect anything good from it.

So what should I do? Even if plan to get all the rig a new one, I wont be doing it in one go, since I'll be purchasing all the stuff from my own balance this time :D
Need ideas guys !!

Your cpu isn't too bad-i think it will be able to run most games pretty well (at medium settings and lower resolutions,say 900p or below),if you have a good gpu and atleast 4-6gb of ram.If you have a large budget then you may upgrade all the components at one go,otherwise you can just upgrade the gpu for now and buy the remaining items later.

flyingcow

Shibe
how about this?(i suggest this)
you keep your monitor as for now...and get this
AMD FX 6300-7.6k
Gigabyte 970A-DS3- 5.2k
seasonic 520w psu-~5k
Sapphire r9270x 2gb/HIS r9 270x iceq 2gb - 15k
NZXT source 210- 2.5k
total ~35k...

Scavenge RAM and HDD from old PC..
then sell off you PC to get some money...
then with the money acquired get dell s2240l for 8.5k~ and use the remaining for new RIG..
you can enjoy 1080p movies + games at ultra/high settings
youll have a better and futureproof rig...
^IMO

pkkumarcool

Game & anime Lover
^the main problem with fx series is there has been many cases of heating issues so better get a cpu cooler too..

flyingcow

Shibe
i think stock cooler will be fine, even for mild OC's

BTW guys how are these 2?
Seasonic eco 500w-3.7k
Antec VP550p-3.8k
if thewse are good then op can go for these..

ASHISH65

Technomancer
Fx 6300' stock cooler is enough for Non oc. but not recommended for mild OC.

^the main problem with fx series is there has been many cases of heating issues so better get a cpu cooler too..

No such heating issues, but they are very loud under full load :)

OP
Piyush

Piyush

Lanaya
I have been using AMD Cpu since 10 yrs now. They dont overheat as the people say. But yea.. they are loud indeed under load.
Also, what about tdp pf AMD Cpus these days? The one you are suggesting

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
My experience referred to playing on 1080p (BF3 Multiplayer still lagged on 1680*1050 though), most games including Battlefield 3 Single Player run fine on lower resolutions. The problem is probably with increased CPU load while playing multiplayer on newer games. For most newer SP games the processor should be fine below 1080p.

Top Bottom