Need urgent help for upgrading CPU, MOBO & RAM..

fire

Broken In
Hello Everyone...
Guys.....I need your support for upgrading my old system.....I am planning to go for CPU+motherboard+RAM upgrade......& my budget is around 10-12K

1. What is the purpose of the computer?
A: General apps like ms office 2007, internet surfing, listening music, watching movies, ripping movies for my Ipod & playing some online Facebook games..

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
A: Yes

3. What is your MAX budget?
A: Around 10-12k

4. Planning to overclock?
A: No

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A: Windows 7

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A: 160GB & also have an external HD (500GB)

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want? If you already want have one and want to use it, mention its resolution and size.
A: At present I am using Intel Pentium-D (3.4GHz), Intel D102GCC2 motherboard with onboard graphics in 1280 x 1024 resolution on 17inch LG monitor.

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
A: 5

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A: Yes and will assemble it on my own

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A: within 2-3 days..

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A: Yes (may be for next 2 year)

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A: Planning to upgrade CPU, Motherboard & RAM only…

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A: New Delhi..& planning to buy form Nehru place (New Delhi)

14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
A: I am an amateur user of Pinnacle Studio 10, Adobe photoshop and a few other heavy applications for editing Handycam videos & Digicam pics….

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
AMD Athlon II X4 640 @ 4600
Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H @ 4200
2*2GB Kingston/Gskill/Corsair DDR3 1333mhz RAM @ 2400

If you have a generic PSU, then order something like FSP Saga II 350w @ 1500 online. You won't find this in Nehru Place.

OP
F

fire

Broken In
thanks iceman for ur fast response but I was just wondering if this config is better than Intel i3 + intel mob....

Cilus

laborare est orare
YA, the config suggested by Ico is better than Intel i3 configs...mainly at your budget.

sparx

TechFanatic
an i3 rig wont be feasible at your budget, moreover its a quadcore system compared to intel's dual core. Therefore it should help you in multi processor optimized applications like video convertors, which it seems you use. Said that, its the best bang for your buck.

OP
F

fire

Broken In
why not.....
* CPU: Intel i3-540/3.06 GHz --- 4.7k
* MoBo: Intel DH67BL --- 5.5k
* RAM: Corsair 4GB DDR3 --- 2.4k

Piyush

Lanaya
bro...you are getting 4 cores at 4k in comparison to 2 cores at 5k appx
we'll still recommend you AMD II x4
rest is all your choice

OP
F

fire

Broken In
thanks all for help.....
no. of cores or brand (Intel or AMD) doesn't matter for me....I can go 4 any of these...
only thing that matters for me is best config under this budget....

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
why not.....
* CPU: Intel i3-540/3.06 GHz --- 4.7k
* MoBo: Intel DH67BL --- 5.5k
* RAM: Corsair 4GB DDR3 --- 2.4k
You can't use a LGA 1156 processor with a LGA 1155 motherboard.

Get Core i3-530/540 with a H55 motherboard if you want. i3-530 + H55 has bad integrated graphics compared to 880G and Athlon II X4 640 will outperform i3-530 in multi-threaded apps.

If you really want to get Core i3, then get Core i3-2100 with the B3 version of motherboard you mentioned. It would cost you 2-3k more but will be worth it.

OP
F

fire

Broken In
If you have a generic PSU, then order something like FSP Saga II 350w @ 1500 online. You won't find this in Nehru Place.

Thanks ico once again....just one query now.....what is meant by generic PSU....Pls elaborate...

Piyush

Lanaya
Thanks ico once again....just one query now.....what is meant by generic PSU....Pls elaborate...

my dictionary recalls them as cheap and non worthy PSUs
example:iball,mercury,mora,hi-power,....damn, the list is endless

saswat23

Human Spambot
Yes, these are cheap PSUs with rating of 400W-800W at Rs.400-Rs.1300 like intex, iball, frontech, etc.. As piyush said, the list is endless..
Go for branded ones like FSP, Corsair, GigaByte, Seasonic, Tagan, Antec.

OP
F

fire

Broken In
thanks to all for help.....as of now I've decided to go with:
AMD Athlon II X4 640 @ 4600
Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H @ 4200
2*2GB Kingston/Gskill/Corsair DDR3 1333mhz RAM @ 2400
FSP Saga II 350w
will let u know guys very soon....what I finally brought...

OP
F

fire

Broken In
Hello everyone.....finally I bought the following components:
AMD Athlon II X4 640 + Gigabyte GA-880GM-USB3 mobo: @10400
2*2GB Kingston/Gskill/Corsair DDR3 1333mhz RAM @ 2200
Power supply cooler master 350 Plus @ 1500

I am quite happy & satisfied wid the performance.....
Thanks to all for help.......

sparx

TechFanatic
You should not have bought that PSU! So much of discussion regarding getting the right PSU and still you got that PSU. Makes all the time and energy invested in explaining you, by the members, go in vain. You were supposed to get the FSP PSU not the Cooler Master. You should have read the article on selecting right PSU, its there for a cause.

1993gregory

Where's my M4A1
You should not have bought that PSU! So much of discussion regarding getting the right PSU and still you got that PSU. Makes all the time and energy invested in explaining you, by the members, go in vain. You were supposed to get the FSP PSU not the Cooler Master. You should have read the article on selecting right PSU, its there for a cause.

finding FSP is very tough. I had my cousin brother looking for FSP SAGA II 500 for a complete day.But he couldnt find it.

And coolermaster is way better than those local PSU

Top Bottom