Need to upgrade my system for gaming: Budget 25K max.

sav_more

Journeyman
Hi guys, I want to upgrade my system in the coming 2 weeks.
My requirements are below. So pls suggest.

1. What is the purpose of the computer?
A:Gaming, internet, HD movies. (System will be constantly ON for torrent downloads )

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
A:Yes

3. What is your MAX budget?
A:25K max!!

4. Planning to overclock?
A:yes

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A:windows 7 professional

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A:500GB. I already have 1TB WD green sata and an old samsung 120GB IDE drive

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want? If you already want have one and want to use it, mention its resolution and size.
A:I will reuse my monitor, 1600*900 samsung 2033SW

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
A:7

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A:yes, i will build it at home

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A:coming 2 weeks

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A:No. but will not upgrade for atleast 3 years.

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A: i dont need a Monitor, PSU (i have cooler master extreme power plus 500W), mouse & KB,speakers,

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A:Mumbai

14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
A: Budget is strictly below 25K.

after checking around this forum, i found a config. Pls suggest if it can be improved.
Suggestions with latest prices will be really helpful.

AMD PhenomII X4 955BE
Gigabyte GA-880GM-USB3 (i am totally confused between the various editions available.)
MSI R6850 Cyclone 1GD5 Power Edition (will cooler master extreme power plus 500W be Ok for this)
Corsair XMS3 2GB DDR3 *2 (suggest any better. 4Gb is enough for me)
Cooler Master Elite 335 Cabinet (really like the looks and dimensions of this aroung Rs1950 at SMC international)

Thanks!

d3p

PowerHouse
CM Extreme Series PSU's are another name of Cr@ps, so better to sell it off & get some few hundred buck added into your current Budget.

Component | Make | Price Processor |AMD PhenomII X4 955BE|5500
Motherboard |Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H|5000
RAM |G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL|1800
Graphic Card |MSI R6850 Cyclone Power Edition|9300
PSU |FSP SAGA II 500| 2000
Case |CM Elite 310|1500
| Total |25100

Get that 635 for time being, within another 3 months BullDozer will be out. So sell it & get BD.

One more thing, someone was selling VX450 @ 2.5k at bazaar section, even that also will do the job.

Last edited:
OP
sav_more

sav_more

Journeyman
I cant wait for bulldozer. Have been waiting for too long. need to make the purchase ASAP.
Also since i have mentioned, i dont need KB and mouse, DVD writer,UPS,monitor I might save some money.

But why Athlon II X4 ? No L3 cache. if any specific advantages over phenom II I might consider it. Since i am not going to upgrade for atleast 3 more years, might as well get the best i can fit in my budget.

Also how bout a hard drive suggestion.

d3p

PowerHouse
Now the Config is edited as per your Requirements.

As you already have WD 1TB Green, i don't think you require more atm. If want add another 1 TB @ 2.7k.

But IMO don't miss the PSU part.

OP
sav_more

sav_more

Journeyman
Ok , I will check the PSU.

I checked the gigabyte site for the motherboard you mentioned Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD3H.
there is no GA-880GM-UD3H , only GA-880 GA UD3H. The M in GM means microATX (I think).

Its an ATX board.looks like a good board will consider it.It has the SB850 southbridge.

OP
sav_more

sav_more

Journeyman
Yeah,If its off their site maybe its discontinued if. Dont know exactly.

BTW can a 6850 fit easily in a micro ATX motherboard without any problems or will there be space issues?
Someone with a 6850 can answer this.

Also anyone checked this motherboard: Asus M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3. seems good specs wise.Dont know the price.

d3p

PowerHouse
Nope its actually "GA-880GA-UD3H". My bad, now its corrected.

*www.gigabyte.com/fileupload/product/2/3425/2975.jpg

OP
sav_more

sav_more

Journeyman
Hi guys,

So my config is now as below

AMD Phenom II x4 955BE
Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H (rev. 3.1)
G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL
Graphic Card Sapphire HD6850
Seagate 500GB 7200.12 OR WDC 500GB Blue
Cooler Master Elite 335

But i think 6850 will be an overkill for me. Any other graphics card with gddr5 with a lower price tag will be good enough i think.

Any suggestions for the graphics card.

d3p

PowerHouse
^^ MSI R6770-MD1GD5 @ 6.5k will be idle choice, but HD6850 fits your budget & will be more capable of Gaming.

Finally where is your PSU ??????

OP
sav_more

sav_more

Journeyman
Thanks for the quick reply
I need money for the PSU, i would rather skimp on the 6850 rather than the CPU or motherboard.

Will check out the reviews of 6770.Thanks

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
HD6850 will NOT overkill your rig & that card is worth its cost. So think twice before thking about any other lower card.

OP
sav_more

sav_more

Journeyman
HI Guys,

I got the config price from Sunrise computers Vashi plaza over the phone.

AMD Phenom II x4 955BE + Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H (rev. 3.1) Rs9800 (Seems too low to me. will personally check the motherboard model no from the shop)
G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL Rs1400
Sapphire HD6850 Rs9600

Cooler Master Elite 335...Not in stock
FSP SAGA II 500.. Not in stock.

Will get the price of PSU and Cabinet later from lamington road.

Prices seem good or can i get a better deal in lamington.

Thanks!!

Top Bottom