need to set up a large network, need help

rabjabber

Journeyman
okay, so the scenario is something like this...
my dad owns a hospital and wants me to fix a severe networking problem as he can't find any professional who can do it for him. the current setup is some thing like this: -
there are three floors, the bottom two have a lot of walls and computers are spread throughot, so the minimum requirement is two routers.
the main internet connection is coming on the top floor and is going to some dlink router. there's a switch on the middle floor that is connected (LAN port to LAN port) to the Dlink router. the switch is a big one with around 8 ports. it is directly hooked up to three computers on the same floor and one wireless router (Belkin) then there's a netgear range extender on the same floor which accepts signals from the Dlink on the top floor and transmits them on the oher side of the middle floor.
now the switch has 4 wires going to bottom floor where one of them goes into a router. this router is mainly for the mobiles and all. one of the other three go into another switch that caters to two computers and the remaining two wires go directly into two computers.......

all of the network is working on static ip's but for some reason the Dlink won't except static ip's and works only with dynamic ip;s.....
some of the computers are to be hooked up with a wire (all the ones that have a wired connection have to have a wired connection) but my dad wants wireless capability to (for phones and laptops)

currently, all the computers have access to internet, but my dad wants SOME of them to be restricted, allowed only when need to be for an hour or so using some sort of system that hotels use and i have no idea how to set that up
there is also a wired server that has the key software for the hospital.
all the systems are running windows 7 except for the server which of course is running the server version of windows.. and two of them are running windows 8 but don't require anything besides internet access.(UNREStRICteD)
the main problem is that the network crashes after a few days and only some of the computers are able to see each other with no specific pattern whatsoever........

so if anyone can tell me how to setup restricted access and solve the problem of connectivity it'll be much appreciated. i also think that more than required hardware is being used (especially at the last floor)
the network is not required on saturdays so i'll have one full day. i'll be happy to take down the entire system and set it up again if that helps
i'm also willing to turn the whole system wireless given that no connectivity problems will arise

can anyone help me please?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
you are talking about setting up a network consisting of at least a dozen systems across different floors using a server as gateway when almost all users here have never setup even 3 systems in their home in lan.your issue needs a very detailed description of your network(ip addresses,dhcp,gateway configuration,server policies,router rules etc) which is hard to describe & understand without an actual site visit.try some computer training institute like niit etc for info about networking professionals who do such jobs.

Hrishi

my dad owns a hospital and wants me to fix a severe networking problem as he can't find any professional who can do it for him. the current setup is some thing like this: -
there are three floors, the bottom two have a lot of walls and computers are spread throughot, so the minimum requirement is two routers.
the main internet connection is coming on the top floor and is going to some dlink router. there's a switch on the middle floor that is connected (LAN port to LAN port) to the Dlink router. the switch is a big one with around 8 ports. it is directly hooked up to three computers on the same floor and one wireless router (Belkin) then there's a netgear range extender on the same floor which accepts signals from the Dlink on the top floor and transmits them on the oher side of the middle floor.
now the switch has 4 wires going to bottom floor where one of them goes into a router. this router is mainly for the mobiles and all. one of the other three go into another switch that caters to two computers and the remaining two wires go directly into two computers.......

all of the network is working on static ip's but for some reason the Dlink won't except static ip's and works only with dynamic ip;s.....
some of the computers are to be hooked up with a wire (all the ones that have a wired connection have to have a wired connection) but my dad wants wireless capability to (for phones and laptops)

currently, all the computers have access to internet, but my dad wants SOME of them to be restricted, allowed only when need to be for an hour or so using some sort of system that hotels use and i have no idea how to set that up
there is also a wired server that has the key software for the hospital.
all the systems are running windows 7 except for the server which of course is running the server version of windows.. and two of them are running windows 8 but don't require anything besides internet access.(UNREStRICteD)
the main problem is that the network crashes after a few days and only some of the computers are able to see each other with no specific pattern whatsoever........

so if anyone can tell me how to setup restricted access and solve the problem of connectivity it'll be much appreciated. i also think that more than required hardware is being used (especially at the last floor)
the network is not required on saturdays so i'll have one full day. i'll be happy to take down the entire system and set it up again if that helps
i'm also willing to turn the whole system wireless given that no connectivity problems will arise

It would be best if you design a Path for how the connection needs to be routed and what policies needs to be configured exactly.
Will be easy to understand for someone trying to help.

OP
R

rabjabber

Journeyman
It would be best if you design a Path for how the connection needs to be routed and what policies needs to be configured exactly.
Will be easy to understand for someone trying to help.

that's exactly what i don't have any idea about

Batistabomb

Deadman Walking

You can acheive this by doing some changes in Active directory stuff (believe you are using one domain)

First can you let us know how you are connecting to Internet, are you making any changes in IE explorer to direct to some proxy, you have any ideas

Top Bottom