Need to buy a PSU?

Aakarshan

In the zone
I have a PC which is 4 years old.Whenever i play a heavy game on it, the game does crashes, but whenever i play a normal not very demanding game on it, the game runs fine.I am speculating it down to that it is an issue of PSU. It is not being able to handle these heavy games. I think i need to buy a new PSU. I need a PSU for purely gaming basis. Please suggest me a PSU. My budget is 4-5K max and i can stretch it to 5-6K . Thank you.

My PC configuration is as follows :

CPU - Intel I5 4460
GPU - AMD RX 590
Mobo - Gigabyte B85M D3H
PSU - Antec VP 500P

Sl4y3r

Broken In
Check your voltages using a tool to see if your 12, 3.3 and 5v voltages are dropping. Observe idle, a light game and heavy game to see dips.

OP
A

Aakarshan

In the zone
Check your voltages using a tool to see if your 12, 3.3 and 5v voltages are dropping. Observe idle, a light game and heavy game to see dips.
I can but i can't do it now. And i am speculating it down to PSU. Because this PSU is 80 plus rated. It is not meant for gaming.

mitraark

Decrepit
Edit. My bad.

PSU should not be the issue. I have had my CX400 run far more demanding hardware.

I also feel the memory may be the culprit here. Midway crashes are their forte.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can but i can't do it now. And i am speculating it down to PSU. Because this PSU is 80 plus rated. It is not meant for gaming.

You can use HWinfo to monitor the voltages or you can jump into bios and look under pc health status / monitoring to get thye values of +12V readings and post it here. Otherwise it can not be concluded that PSU is the what causing the issue.

Anyway, you may be right about the PSU as well as that's one heck of a power hungry card. So look for at-least 650W PSU.

OP
A

Aakarshan

In the zone
I am speculating it down that this is a PSU related issue because whenever i play a less demanding game like Batman : Arkham City, the game does never crashes (Just finished the game). The GPU power usage never crosses 70 Watts. But whenever i play more demanding game like Far Cry 3, the game crashes. The GPU crosses 120+ watts on it and then game crashes. I am able to play it whenever i lower the power limit to -20 in Auros engine. The game runs fine and never crashes. I can never play it on 1080p but if i play it on 720p i can play it on 720p.Also if i lower the resolution of the games sometimes the games run fine. Playing on 1080p gives me an instant crash.

I am speculating it down to PSU. It is Antec VP500P, It is not meant for gaming. It is 5 years old PSU. Please suggest me a new PSU. I'm thinking of buying with 650 Watt power capacity. I know that the current situation in the market is really scarce. I have a budget of 5-6K. Thinking of buying CX650, but they are overpriced everywhere.

I am speculating it down that this is a PSU related issue because whenever i play a less demanding game like Batman : Arkham City, the game does never crashes (Just finished the game). The GPU power usage never crosses 70 Watts. But whenever i play more demanding game like Far Cry 3, the game crashes. The GPU crosses 120+ watts on it and then game crashes. I am able to play it whenever i lower the power limit to -20 in Auros engine. The game runs fine and never crashes. I can never play it on 1080p but if i play it on 720p i can play it on 720p.Also if i lower the resolution of the games sometimes the games run fine. Playing on 1080p gives me an instant crash.

I am speculating it down to PSU. It is Antec VP500P, It is not meant for gaming. It is 5 years old PSU. Please suggest me a new PSU. I'm thinking of buying with 650 Watt power capacity. I know that the current situation in the market is really scarce. I have a budget of 5-6K. Thinking of buying CX650, but they are overpriced everywhere.
Look at Corsair CV650, seems decent at ~5k.

Top Bottom