Need to buy a phone under 30K

sam9953

True Manchester City fan
Hi guys, I am going to have my exams from 12th to 24th and I am planning to buy a new phone right after my exams end. Below are the specifications for the phone I want:

1) At least 4 inch screen size, Android OS, 8 mp camera preferable (5mp will also work), latest android version

2) If it has some internal memory, it will be preferrable

3) Good battery backup, the higher the better.

4) Should be able to play video formats like mkv and rmvb

5) Budget is 30K

6) Bottom Line: Something which can compete with the S3

One more thing, do you guys think that phones of reputed brands like Samsung and other have international warranty applicable,, so that if I buy it from abroad and the warranty is applicable here in India.

Another thing I want to know is that if a good and competitive phone is going to be launched in the next two or three months then I can delay my purchase, is anything like this going to come out soon?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
HTC One X if you can sell out the extra 3-4k or LG Optimus 4X HD if you want to stick to ~30k budget and don't like Sense UI. Current flagships are overkill mobile. 720p display, quad core processor, 4.7-4.8" display. these specs will remain more or less the same in the next gen smartphone except that the processor will get even more better or maybe 2GB ram but thats serious overkill to say the least. so grab what you can find now.

OP
sam9953

sam9953

True Manchester City fan
So you mean to say that for the next two month no mobile going to come out which is going to compete with the likes of One X and S3? Is that what you are saying?

One more question from all you guys: Is there any way I can get a phone like S3 or something above 30K for a price below 30K? I mean using some ebay coupons or some cheap but original mobile selling shop in Delhi? Any help is appreciated.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
What new launch we have? Samsung Note II but that will cost 40k as S3 cost 38k. Maybe LG G but i doubt it'll hit India and even if it does will have an insane pricetag of 40k+. Sony will launch a few but if you read the note, India (Asia actually) will get a slightly modified unit with last gen processor not the current Snapdragon S4 Krait ones. Dual core Krait is better than tegra 3, Exynos and all quad core processors but India won't get any mobile with such processor anytime soon if you ask me. So best bet, grab whats available now.

even without bill S3 will cost around 35k. If you want a 30k mobile check LG Optimus 4X HD. It is just a notch below One X. Read the anandtech review. But One X is still the better choice as it cost just 1-2k more than 4X. Else you may look for Sony Xperia S.

PS: Dual core mobiles won't get extinct by 2013 ;)

OP
sam9953

sam9953

True Manchester City fan
So what will be your final suggestion, for me, in a hierarchical order please?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
1. One X: (Almost) Best in every department.
2. Xperia S: If you are ok with dual core based mobile. Just keep your mindset right. More and more quadcore mobiles will appear but what will you do with so much power? Dual core mobiles can do what quads can do. Games will run lagfree on dual as well as quads. GPU can be more powerful on quads but that doesn't make a lot of difference in a mobile where you can configure the game to use Antialising or blur or shadow. Moreover Xperia S have better screen than similar mobile (read more pixel density) and is 4.3" against 4.7".
3. 4X HD: Take One X and degrade picture quality a bit. keep the UI as simple as possible.
4. S3: Overpriced.

OP
sam9953

sam9953

True Manchester City fan
So One X seems the best option for me, BTW if you keep the price factor aside do you think that S3 has better specs than One X?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
it has better processor actually and the inclusion of a memory card is a big plus point. but the look and UI are plain boring. Specially the button placement and the corners are not exactly rounded.

aroraanant

Explorer
One X is the best option for you.
And refer to my this post, it will be really helpful for you if you are planning to buy that

OP
sam9953

sam9953

True Manchester City fan
Thanks for this, I hope I can get some price reduction, can you tell me how is this One S?

daksh

Journeyman
Avoid One S at all costs in India until its priced around 25. It's not getting the better krait processor in India and is using a Gen older much slower compared to S4, the S3 proccesor. They are just Overclocking S3 and selling it. Avoid. One X is the way to go or if you dont have any prejudices against LG 4x is good too.

OP
sam9953

sam9953

True Manchester City fan
Avoid One S at all costs in India until its priced around 25. It's not getting the better krait processor in India and is using a Gen older much slower compared to S4, the S3 proccesor. They are just Overclocking S3 and selling it. Avoid. One X is the way to go or if you dont have any prejudices against LG 4x is good too.
I do have prejudice against LG, that is why its a no-no.

So now that I am slightly certain of getting One X, can you guys tell me what is wrong or what are the problems with the phone, just incase of them might turn out to be a dealbreaker.

I just saw things which might be worrying:
Can I get a micro sim for Vodafone, is it possible to keep my current normal sim and also get a micro one. I don't want to make one myself.

Secondly will the phone play Rmvb files?

OP
sam9953

sam9953

True Manchester City fan
Please read my edited post, I have asked a few things, as you own the phone @daksh

daksh

Journeyman
Never tried rmvb files, will check and tell.
and micro sim, there is a stapler type device which will cut it to a micro sim and you also get micro sim extenders in the market very very cheap. Your micro sim gets cut from your original sim and you can put it back in place from where it is cut and use it in a normal phone. Nothing to worry.

aroraanant

Explorer
You can cut down your sim,there will be no problem or can also get a micro sim but for that you have to visit the vodafone store in your city.
And after you can take a micro sim adapter which will convert it into a normal size sim so that you can use it any other mobile also. :)

OP
sam9953

sam9953

True Manchester City fan
Everything in the phone seems good to me but I am worried about the battery? Daksh, how long does the battery last for you? Will it last 2 days, because thats a minimum I require, my N900 use to give me 2 day battery, will One X also give this much? and what about S3 when it comes to battery?

daksh

Journeyman
nope, dont even think of two days.
Current Battery stats-
9% remaining
16 hours on battery
1 hour and 45 mins of voice calls
2 and a half hour of screen on time
About 10 hours on 3g and 6 on wifi
about 3-4 hours of music on headphones.

Id say it will last you one day in moderate to heavy usage, dont expect more. 2 days from any android phones except razer maxx is not possible.

And the S3 is slightly better in terms of battery. Itll give you about 3-4 hours more.

OP
sam9953

sam9953

True Manchester City fan
Thats saddening, why is the battery so less for these android phones, this makes me feel that I might give a look at razr maxx. What are your thoughts about that?

Top Bottom