Need to build System for OPNsense

singh_dd93

Journeyman
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Routing, Firewall using OPNsense

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 10k-12k

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans:No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans:OPNsense

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans:120GB SSD Only

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans:No

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans:RAM

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans:ASAP

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans:Yes

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans:Ludhiana, Punjab. Can buy online or from Nehru Place.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Need to build system ASAP. I already have G-Skill 2x4GB DDR3 (1600). I need 120GB SSD only, no HDD.
NIC - Intel PWLA8492MT Network Interface Card - Intel : Flipkart.com is already ordered, so MoBo needs to have PCI slot.

This system will be running 24x7 until it shows some hardware problem. Maybe for months without being shutdown. So I would need a good PSU which can keep it running for long without getting burned. Power usage is not a problem.

Last edited:

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I guess not many are into OPNsense. Even after googling, I couldn't get the depth. Watching this video makes me to think that you can build with a basic config. You have RAM, don't want monitor which leaves m/b, psu, cabinet and SSD. Anything else? Check the 20k sample config and see that is good enough or overkill for the purpose.

This link was suggested in another forum for NAS build. I think NAS is somewhat similar to OPNsense. Ignore, if it's totally different.

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to put the link The ins and outs of planning and building your own home NAS | Ars Technic

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you are not serving a large amount o devices connected to the network this might be also an option :
Installing OpenWRT on a Raspberry Pi as a New Home Firewall - Envato Tuts+ Computer Skills Articl

The article is old and OpenWrt and raspberry both have matured a lot in terms of both software and hardware so you may consider this.

Top Bottom