Need suggestions on 2 TB 3.5 " Internal HDD

ajayritik

Technomancer
I need to get hold of one 2 TB internal HDD for my personal PC.
I have multiple HDD's and it's becoming difficult managing them.
Their primary purpose is to store torrent files and personal photos and videos.
Please suggest some options.

A

amit.tiger12

It good for budget below 6K and VFM...
Seagate Barracuda 2TB Desktop SATA Internal Hard Drive: Amazon.in: Computers & Accessories
= 5500 rs

or WD blue 1 TB is as good as sagate barracuda... but have only 1 TB option...
if you can buy 2 HDD wd blue 1 TB.. then it will be great...
but you already have multiple HDD's.. :(

but if you want best and don't have specific budget...
wd green, black are good... best... :)

WD Caviar Green 2 TB Desktop Internal Hard Drive (WD20EZRX) - WD : Flipkart.com
= 5900 rs

WD 2 TB Black Desktop Internal Hard Drive (WD2002FAEX) - WD : Flipkart.com
= 10,300

Last edited by a moderator:

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Anything but Seagate.

For just storing purpose a WD Blue is more than enough. And if the stuffs are really important and you can't afford to lose them, then get WD Black or a Hitachi one.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
[MENTION=29208]ajayritik[/MENTION] get this one WD 2 TB Desktop Internal Hard Drive (WD20PURX) - WD : Flipkart.com

WD purple has 3 years of warranty compared to 2 years of green. I won't recommend seagate because of their poor service.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Re: Need suggestions on 2 TB 3.5 " Internal HDD

but if you want best and don't have specific budget...
wd green, black are good... best... :)

WD Caviar Green 2 TB Desktop Internal Hard Drive (WD20EZRX) - WD : Flipkart.com
= 5900 rs

WD 2 TB Black Desktop Internal Hard Drive (WD2002FAEX) - WD : Flipkart.com
= 10,300

Why is there price difference so much between these two?

- - - Updated - - -

Will how much capacity HDD I can have is based on my motherboard?

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Black is meant for performance (and reliability too?). Green is economical or some stuffs. More like a gaming membrane vs a normal keyboard. Honestly do not get a Green, but that's just me.

A

amit.tiger12

^ as ithehappy said... performance is great for black... blue is good option for long life... seagate i suggested because you want 2 TB..

Why is there price difference so much between these two?

WD Green's primary advantages are regarded as:

• Higher capacity at a more affordable price.
  • Lower power consumption.
  • Useful as cheap, archival storage.
  • Quieter.
Its disadvantages are:

• Slower speeds that are inadvisable for primary and gaming HDD usage.
  • Slower wake and seek times.
  • Lower reliability over its life.
  • 2-Year warranty.

WD Blue's primary advantages are:

• Higher speeds – 7200RPM makes it ideal for primary drive and gaming use.
  • Highest density – best cost-to-performance ratio and speed, even over WD Black.
  • Relatively quiet for the speed.
WD Blue's disadvantages are:

• Max 1TB capacity.
  • 2-Year warranty.

WD Black's primary advantages are:

• A 5-year warranty.
  • Up to 4TB of 7200RPM storage.
  • Improved endurance in production environments.
WD Black's disadvantages are:

• Significantly noisier than WD Green and Blue.
  • More expensive per GB.

other comparisons...

UserBenchmark: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 vs WD Black (2013)

Will how much capacity HDD I can have is based on my motherboard?

which motherboard you use..?

A

amit.tiger12

Intel® Desktop Board DG965RY

Sorry for asking mobo model.. not needed.. :)
Manufacturer/mobo manual don't tell/specify max storage capacity support..
You will not be able to use a drive larger than 2tb as the boot drive. If more space needed use HDD as a secondary drive.

Intel® Desktop Board DG965RY, supports 2 sata connectors, i guess (some shows 4 sata connectors, check your board.).. So can put upto 2 TB for primary and any size 3/4/5 on secondary..

$hadow

Geek in making
Ask [MENTION=293224]DK_WD[/MENTION] for any other info.
But going for WD black is the best option but your budget doesn't permit so. You can buy WD green .

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer

You will not be able to use a drive larger than 2tb as the boot drive. If more space needed use HDD as a secondary drive.

Intel® Desktop Board DG965RY, supports 2 sata connectors, i guess (some shows 4 sata connectors, check your board.).. So can put upto 2 TB for primary and any size 3/4/5 on secondary..
Can you give more details on this?

A

amit.tiger12

C drive.. Primary drive/primary partition (where you installed OS mostly)
D,E,F drives... Secondary Drive/secondary partition (normal drive where you put non-sense :)) )
If you are buying 2TB no need to worry about this.. when you buy 3-4-5-6 etc and use entire large HDD as a single drive then you will face problem for using more than 2TB space...
because windows and boot, using the GPT files system, where as MBR has a drive size limit of 2.1 or 2.2TB. For more than 2tb do follow these steps.
How to install Windows on 3TB or 4TB and larger HDD - Hard Drives - Storage

So don't worry as of now. Buy 2TB only. I told you this because I thought you will install HDD, and will not partition the drive (C, D, E), So I told you this that primary partition supports upto 2TB..

I think seagate launched 3.5 8TB HDD
Amazon.com: Archive 8 TB 3.5" Internal Hard Drive: Computers & Accessories

So you can use 8TB into 2,4,6 (depending upon your SATA Ports.) :)
correct me if I am wrong.. :)
@DK_WD
@whitestar_999

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
correct but op only wants 2 tb hdd(not larger) & that too as storage/secondary hdd not primary/windows install hdd so it will not be a concern to him.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Ok guys I want to give more details and clear of any initial statements I made.
I have 3 SATA HDD's and one IDE HDD.
1 SATA HDD -500 GB
2 SATA HDD 250 GB
3 SATA HDD 160 GB
4 IDE HDD 60 GB

Due to the following reasons I wanted to get either 2 TB or 3 TB Internal HDD.
1. My new SMPS doesn't seem to have sufficient power pins hence I need to have both fan and DVD Rom drive not connected if I want to connect all HDD's.
2. When I did a scan for 2 of the SATA HDD's I got some message indicating that there maybe trouble with them.

So keeping the above points in consideration I intend to get a new HDD and then get rid of preferably all of the remaining HDD or worse case have one old HDD.

Hence we are looking at a picture where the new HDD maybe the only HDD left with me going forward. Keeping this scenario in mind. Which Size HDD should I go for 2 TB or 3 TB?

Also as mentioned the primary purpose would be to have torrents download and to store some personal photos videos etc.
Once I'm clear about the capacity then maybe we can think about Green etc. I saw ad somewhere of 3 TB HDD for Rs 6750 so I thought instead of investing in 2 TB why not go for 3 TB.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
With storage there's nothing to think or suggest bro, its always better if you go bigger. Only think when budget is a concern.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
With storage there's nothing to think or suggest bro, its always better if you go bigger. Only think when budget is a concern.

So keeping my current scenario in mind should I go for 2 TB or 3 TB.
And considering I will not be into too much gaming should I opt for the lesser expensive one which is green HDD.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
If you are not into gaming then I don't think you need to get the performance drives such as Black etc., so I think you can go for Blue. I simply can't recommend Green drives mate, but then again I have friends who have the same drive and its running just fine for them for pretty long time now, but its just me who can't fathom unreliable drives especially when my data are important.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
C drive.. Primary drive/primary partition (where you installed OS mostly)
D,E,F drives... Secondary Drive/secondary partition (normal drive where you put non-sense :)) )
If you are buying 2TB no need to worry about this.. when you buy 3-4-5-6 etc and use entire large HDD as a single drive then you will face problem for using more than 2TB space...
because windows and boot, using the GPT files system, where as MBR has a drive size limit of 2.1 or 2.2TB. For more than 2tb do follow these steps.
How to install Windows on 3TB or 4TB and larger HDD - Hard Drives - Storage

So don't worry as of now. Buy 2TB only. I told you this because I thought you will install HDD, and will not partition the drive (C, D, E), So I told you this that primary partition supports upto 2TB..

I think seagate launched 3.5 8TB HDD
Amazon.com: Archive 8 TB 3.5" Internal Hard Drive: Computers & Accessories

So you can use 8TB into 2,4,6 (depending upon your SATA Ports.) :)
correct me if I am wrong.. :)
@DK_WD
@whitestar_999

Amit can I buy 3 TB HDD assuming I will partition the HDD into multiple partitions?

Top Bottom