Need suggestions on 2 TB 3.5 " Internal HDD

$hadow

Geek in making
If you can find it for cheap offline than there is no problem otherwise online is always good.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i don't have much trust in handling of hdd,especially internal ones,by courier companies so i prefer offline buying that too from main distributor so as to minimise the handling risks.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Ok guys I want to give more details and clear of any initial statements I made.
I have 3 SATA HDD's and one IDE HDD.
1 SATA HDD -500 GB
2 SATA HDD 250 GB
3 SATA HDD 160 GB
4 IDE HDD 60 GB

Due to the following reasons I wanted to get either 2 TB or 3 TB Internal HDD.
1. My new SMPS doesn't seem to have sufficient power pins hence I need to have both fan and DVD Rom drive not connected if I want to connect all HDD's.
2. When I did a scan for 2 of the SATA HDD's I got some message indicating that there maybe trouble with them.

So keeping the above points in consideration I intend to get a new HDD and then get rid of preferably all of the remaining HDD or worse case have one old HDD.

Hence we are looking at a picture where the new HDD maybe the only HDD left with me going forward. Keeping this scenario in mind. Which Size HDD should I go for 2 TB or 3 TB?

Also as mentioned the primary purpose would be to have torrents download and to store some personal photos videos etc.
Once I'm clear about the capacity then maybe we can think about Green etc. I saw ad somewhere of 3 TB HDD for Rs 6750 so I thought instead of investing in 2 TB why not go for 3 TB.

WD Caviar RED 4TB(WD40EFRX) -13700. (amazon.in)

Link:4TB wd Red NAS Hard Disk Drives 3.5" WD40EFRX Western: Amazon.in: Electronics

dissel

Cyborg Agent
Hello again, I know this thread about internal hdd & now all the recommendation gearing towards Western Digital HDDs due to seagate reliability (7200.11 blunder) but after lot of searching - watching you tube videos - I conclude in two Seagate Products which are 3.5" external drive....But didn't find enough courage.

Both drive are 4TB and comes with 3 Years Direct Warranty as well once the enclosure failed it can be used as regular internal drive for backup purpose. My question if any one here using any of these or planning to opt out. Both are price 11k+ / 12k+ comapre WD 4TB Red which is 13k+.

here

Seagate 4 TB Expansion Desktop External Drive 4 TB External Hard Disk - Seagate : Flipkart.com

Seagate Backup Plus Desktop Drvie 4 TB Wired external_hard_drive - Seagate : Flipkart.com

Are they safe to go ? Or strict no no ?

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
[MENTION=105611]bssunil[/MENTION] I have decided not to go for anything over 2 TB. Also currently I don't have the budget for anything over 10k for sure.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
@ Sunil initially I was planning for the Green version since my HDD will be primarily used to store personal collection and torrents.
But later I thought I will increase the budget and go for Red as suggested by DK_WD.
Is Black really needed?
Kindly suggest!

$hadow

Geek in making
@ Sunil initially I was planning for the Green version since my HDD will be primarily used to store personal collection and torrents.
But later I thought I will increase the budget and go for Red as suggested by DK_WD.
Is Black really needed?
Kindly suggest!

Black is ultimate and you should get it if your budget permits. But you don't need black so I would still suggest go with red or green.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Is Black really needed?
Kindly suggest!

Black is ultimate but you can go with RED instead.

Green has high rate of failure so no green.

DK_WD

WD Official
Hi [MENTION=29208]ajayritik[/MENTION],

Is Black really needed?
Kindly suggest!

Example:

If I am looking for the high warranty and I don't have the budget problem, then the WD Black HDD is the best option for me. The WD Black drive is the use of high performance like gaming and video editing.
WD Black = Speed/high end use and extended warranty.

The following link describes the specifications for the WD Black HDD

Support Answers

In your case, WD Red or WD Green drive is the best option for storage.

Good Luck.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
[MENTION=293224]DK_WD[/MENTION], can we have higher capacity (2-4 TB) Blue drives with more (5 years would be good) warranty too? Not as costly as Black drives though.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Re: Need suggestions on 2 TB 3.5 " Internal HDD

Guys is this good?
Can I go ahead with purchasing this online?
2TB WD Red NAS Hard Disk Drives 3.5" WD20EFRX Western: Amazon.in: Electronics
Any thing that I need to check Visavis Motherboard, PSU, Processor Compatibility or need to check SATA Speed?

- - - Updated - - -

Guys need quick help to get this purchase completed.
Can someone please advise if the one provided in the link is ok?

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Re: Need suggestions on 2 TB 3.5 " Internal HDD

as long as your mobo has sata port any sata hdd will work.

I already have 3 SATA HDD's so I guess this one will have some connectors/connections like my existing HDD Right?

- - - Updated - - -

yeah WD red is a great option.

My cousin who looked at that model was saying I would not need a NAS Server HDD. Was suggesting something for desktop.
So do we have Red model only for desktop or this one will suffice?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
NAS compatible hdd will work in desktop but some desktop hdd(like WD green) work poorly in nas.all 3.5" sata hdd(no matter how old or new) have same connectors/connections.

Top Bottom