Need suggestions on 2 TB 3.5 " Internal HDD

cybertechie1

Right off the assembly line
WD in general is more reliable than Seagate.
You did not clarify which drives has gone among the 4 you have listed.

Having more drives sound flexible however it is cumbersome in the long run if you don't have a good case and power supply. Incase of multiple drives , you also you need to worry about effectively dissipating the heat generated from them. if i was you, i will retire all the 4 drives and buy either a single reliable 2 or 3 TB drive or two 1 TB WD blue drives. Look for some deals on online websites. You maybe able to grab 1 TB WD blue for around ~ 3.6k.

As mentioned by other members, please avoid WD green if possible. WD green is a 5900 Rpm drive.

DK_WD

WD Official
C drive.. Primary drive/primary partition (where you installed OS mostly)
D,E,F drives... Secondary Drive/secondary partition (normal drive where you put non-sense :)) )
If you are buying 2TB no need to worry about this.. when you buy 3-4-5-6 etc and use entire large HDD as a single drive then you will face problem for using more than 2TB space...
because windows and boot, using the GPT files system, where as MBR has a drive size limit of 2.1 or 2.2TB. For more than 2tb do follow these steps.
How to install Windows on 3TB or 4TB and larger HDD - Hard Drives - Storage

So don't worry as of now. Buy 2TB only. I told you this because I thought you will install HDD, and will not partition the drive (C, D, E), So I told you this that primary partition supports upto 2TB..

I think seagate launched 3.5 8TB HDD
Amazon.com: Archive 8 TB 3.5" Internal Hard Drive: Computers & Accessories

So you can use 8TB into 2,4,6 (depending upon your SATA Ports.) :)
correct me if I am wrong.. :)
@DK_WD
@whitestar_999

Good explanation :thumbs:

Every user as their own experience dealing with HDD.

Amit can I buy 3 TB HDD assuming I will partition the HDD into multiple partitions?

Hi [MENTION=29208]ajayritik[/MENTION]

If you are planning for high storage like up to 3TB, you have to set the BIOS to UEFI and the drive in GPT format. Normally, the MBR format supports up to 2.2 TB so your MOBO is fine for that. If you need a 3TB, so I advise to update the BIOS.

For specific model for the HDD, its depend on your requirement and storage. If you are planning for normal storage like torrent and picture storage, so I’d suggest you to go with the WD Green drive.

For more information about WD Green HDD, you may refer the below link

Support Answers

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
You did not clarify which drives has gone among the 4 you have listed.

I think one of them or maybe both of them have issues but the HDD has not crashed yet.

Having more drives sound flexible however it is cumbersome in the long run if you don't have a good case and power supply. Incase of multiple drives , you also you need to worry about effectively dissipating the heat generated from them. if i was you, i will retire all the 4 drives and buy either a single reliable 2 or 3 TB drive or two 1 TB WD blue drives. Look for some deals on online websites. You maybe able to grab 1 TB WD blue for around ~ 3.6k.
As mentioned in one of my previous post I'm planning to have all of the existing HDD removed. Only planning to have the new HDD.
I intend to have 2 TB or 3 TB. But 3 TB looks tricky now with all the BIOS Updates etc. Hence unless I'm sure I may settle for 2 TB.

A

amit.tiger12

Re: Need suggestions on 2 TB 3.5 " Internal HDD

Amit can I buy 3 TB HDD assuming I will partition the HDD into multiple partitions?

you can buy that 8TB version also.. :)
partition is one thing everyone does... like we want "space" in life :)

- - - Updated - - -

Ok guys I want to give more details and clear of any initial statements I made.
I have 3 SATA HDD's and one IDE HDD.
1 SATA HDD -500 GB
2 SATA HDD 250 GB
3 SATA HDD 160 GB
4 IDE HDD 60 GB

Due to the following reasons I wanted to get either 2 TB or 3 TB Internal HDD.
1. My new SMPS doesn't seem to have sufficient power pins hence I need to have both fan and DVD Rom drive not connected if I want to connect all HDD's.
2. When I did a scan for 2 of the SATA HDD's I got some message indicating that there maybe trouble with them.

So keeping the above points in consideration I intend to get a new HDD and then get rid of preferably all of the remaining HDD or worse case have one old HDD.

Hence we are looking at a picture where the new HDD maybe the only HDD left with me going forward. Keeping this scenario in mind. Which Size HDD should I go for 2 TB or 3 TB?

Also as mentioned the primary purpose would be to have torrents download and to store some personal photos videos etc.
Once I'm clear about the capacity then maybe we can think about Green etc. I saw ad somewhere of 3 TB HDD for Rs 6750 so I thought instead of investing in 2 TB why not go for 3 TB.

I think don't go for more than 2TB as of now...

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Do we have any offers wherein we can exchange existing Internal HDD with newer HDD?
Also I forgot the name of the software can someone please suggest me the software which helps in determine if HDD is good.

A

amit.tiger12

Do we have any offers wherein we can exchange existing Internal HDD with newer HDD?
Also I forgot the name of the software can someone please suggest me the software which helps in determine if HDD is good.

for selling
OLX, quicker and DIGIT :)

for buying
flipkart, amazon, snapdeal, mdcomputers, primeabgb

software???
search for HDD health, HDD scan.

dissel

Cyborg Agent
Hello Fellow Members & Experts,

Can you please let me know if it is a good idea to go for this drive

WD Caviar Green 3 TB Desktop Internal Hard Drive (WD30EZRX) - WD : Flipkart.com

My usage will be only store Digital Data - I almost read all the user review from FK who bought 1TB, 2TB, 3TB WD green drive earlier (month back).

My intention to grab some space as less price - 3TB Red is costly compare to this Green HDD.

DK_WD

WD Official
Hello Fellow Members & Experts,

Can you please let me know if it is a good idea to go for this drive

WD Caviar Green 3 TB Desktop Internal Hard Drive (WD30EZRX) - WD : Flipkart.com

My usage will be only store Digital Data - I almost read all the user review from FK who bought 1TB, 2TB, 3TB WD green drive earlier (month back).

My intention to grab some space as less price - 3TB Red is costly compare to this Green HDD.

Hi [MENTION=11717]dissel[/MENTION]

Based on your requirement, I’d suggest you to go with the WD Green drive. The WD Green drive used for computing like data storage, normal usage and etc. The WD Green HDD models are available from 500GB to 6TB.

To check the specification of WD Green HDD, you may refer to the link below

Support Answers

Hope it helps.

dissel

Cyborg Agent
Thank You DK_WD for your comments - Great to find out WD support present in this forum.

As in this thread discussed,

1. WD Green is not so trusted drive.... Why ? Due to 2 Years warranty compare to 3 Years on other drive or the build material is cheap and prone to failure.

2. I like to know Why WD Blue is only 1 TB Max capacity available ? Why not produce more than 1TB for Blue ?

3. Is it possible for WD Purple or Red can be use inside a PC Cabinet as well HDD Dock ?

I got Vantec NexStar NST-D100S2 HDD Dock, If I Buy 3 TB Green one - Can I use that HDD after formatting it inside PC in that Dock

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
using hdd dock without fan for 3.5" hdd for long durations is only advisable if avg room temps are below 30C(not possible in most parts of India for most of the year without ac or cooler).WD Green got a bad image because of its relatively high failure rate in early years but many also believe that was because of using these drives in raid configuration(a popular choice for many in western world).a drive which performs well in normal pc may not last even a few weeks in a raid setup.2 yera warranty is standard for both seagate & WD.if you think a 3/yr warranty drive is more reliable then you are wrong because basically it all depends on your luck.

$hadow

Geek in making
using hdd dock without fan for 3.5" hdd for long durations is only advisable if avg room temps are below 30C(not possible in most parts of India for most of the year without ac or cooler).WD Green got a bad image because of its relatively high failure rate in early years but many also believe that was because of using these drives in raid configuration(a popular choice for many in western world).a drive which performs well in normal pc may not last even a few weeks in a raid setup.2 yera warranty is standard for both seagate & WD.if you think a 3/yr warranty drive is more reliable then you are wrong because basically it all depends on your luck.

1 more question does HDD has impact on using it 24*7 for downloading purposes.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
as with any other similar electronic the more you use it the shorter will be its life span but when it comes to hdd we are talking about years of continuous usage & most likely the hdd will die earlier because of heat & power issues before it runs out of its designed life.in fact many people suggest that it is better to leave hdd running than turn it off for 5-6 hours as each on-off cycle puts almost same stress on hdd components as 7-8 hours of continuous usage.

dissel

Cyborg Agent
Thank You friends for the wonderful discussion here.....

I like to know,

Is it mandatory to use 'WDIDLE3.EXE' if any one going to use 3TB WD Green ? As mentioned by user who bought this drive saying this drive is prone to failure because of 8 sec head parking routine due to inactivity which wear off the drive 6 Lakh cycle very fast after usage couple of months..

Please comment... Thank you.

$hadow

Geek in making
as with any other similar electronic the more you use it the shorter will be its life span but when it comes to hdd we are talking about years of continuous usage & most likely the hdd will die earlier because of heat & power issues before it runs out of its designed life.in fact many people suggest that it is better to leave hdd running than turn it off for 5-6 hours as each on-off cycle puts almost same stress on hdd components as 7-8 hours of continuous usage.

Thanks for input bro.

amjath

Human Spambot
raid is not required for typical home use at all.

it depends, he said he has photo and videos of his family members.

I would suggest get 2 500GB raid it and use it for above purpose and rest for some downloading and get 1 TB for torrent downloads

DK_WD

WD Official
Hi [MENTION=11717]dissel[/MENTION],

1. WD Green is not so trusted drive.... Why ? Due to 2 Years warranty compare to 3 Years on other drive or the build material is cheap and prone to failure.

3. Is it possible for WD Purple or Red can be use inside a PC Cabinet as well HDD Dock ?
I got Vantec NexStar NST-D100S2 HDD Dock, If I Buy 3 TB Green one - Can I use that HDD after formatting it inside PC in that Dock

As mentioned by [MENTION=126812]whitestar_999[/MENTION], the WD Green drive had a high failure rate due to RAID setup. The platform or technology of the WD Green is not recommended to use the drive in a RAID environment. It's only recommended to use for storage drive, and not as a performance drive.

For your information, any WD internal drive can be used as a storage and boot drive. In WD, there are different type of drives represented by different colors. The WD Purple drive highly recommended to use for Video Surveillance purpose and WD Red drive is designed for NAS environments and recommended for RAIDs, but if you use it as a normal drive, it will function like a normal hard drive too.

2. I like to know Why WD Blue is only 1 TB Max capacity available ? Why not produce more than 1TB for Blue ?

For WD Blue 2TB capacity suggestion, I already passed this question to my higher management, but I don't have conclusive information yet.
You can check the following link for a history of this question:
*www.digit.in/forum/pc-components-configurations/189396-need-help-hdd-ssd-2.html

My best guess on the WD Blue 1TB capacity is that our R&D guys designed the WD Blue for basic use computers as primary drives and most average users don't need higher than that.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
[MENTION=293224]DK_WD[/MENTION], so which HDD should I go for?
I have decided on purchasing 2 TB one but not sure which of the models I need to go for.
Blue, Green, Red, Purple and any other color.
As mentioned earlier, will not be used for gaming primarily. Will be used for mostly torrents and storing personal data like videos pics etc.
I read somewhere that if we run torrents from the HDD there is heavy read and write that happens. So if we consider that point is it better to go for a higher end model than green.

Kindly advise.

DK_WD

WD Official
For specific model for the HDD, its depend on your requirement and storage. If you are planning for normal storage like torrent and picture storage, so I’d suggest you to go with the WD Green drive.
For more information about WD Green HDD, you may refer the below link
Support Answers

Hi [MENTION=29208]ajayritik[/MENTION],

Based on your requirements, the WD Green drive is the best option; as I mentioned in my previous post.

If you don't have the budget problem and looking for 24 x7 drive, then WD Red is the way to go. For your information, the WD Red drive designed for Enterprise use and recommended for RAID and NAS setup, it is also use as a normal storage drive in PC. The WD Red design to just spin constantly for continual use/availability and provide the reliability. It has in-built Nasware technology to prevent the bad sectors and provide the data security. With the help of Nasware technology, the failure rate of HDD will be less.

In simple terms,

WD Red = Energy saving, 24x7 use, Extended warranty.

For more information about WD Red drive, you may refer to the link below

Support Answers

Hope it helps.

Top Bottom