Need suggestions for a system Overhaul @ around 40K

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
1. What is the purpose of the computer? (Note: If you are planning to say multimedia, you will have to be more specific as all types of systems are capable of doing that)
A: Gaming, and more gaming, video encoding, coding(courtesy,my bro :) ), everything under the sun

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
A: Yes

3. What is your MAX budget?
A: 40k

4. Planning to overclock?
A: Hell yeah.

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A: Win 7 x64.

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A: Already got 1TB+300GB HDDs, not needed

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want? If you already want have one and want to use it, mention its resolution and size.
A: 1600x900

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
A: 10

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A: All by myself

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A: June

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A: Min 2 yrs will do.

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A: Already have, power supply(Corsair VX550), HDD, ODD, Fans(3x 120mm cm), Cabby: CM E430, GPU (GTX 460 1GB), LCD 20"

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A: Kolkata, online is last option

14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
A: Suggest the CPU,Mobo, RAMs, CPU Cooler, Thermal Compound.

So friends, I have been bitten by the upgrade itch since January 2011...my venerable 4year old beast(see siggy) is tired of today :cry:

Sandybridge was on my sights from long back...August 2010 to be exact(since the Anandtech preview came up :cool:)...Only after the launch of Z68 has it has become irresitible... :D

Well,this might be my last upgrade before I become a healthcare professional...so I have put aside quite a sum only for a few components...

I have these in mind...

Intel Core i7 2600K @15.8k+(Vedant); 16.2k+(MD)

Z68 mobo: ASUS P8Z68V-Pro@(will be available shortly)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 4GB*2 @5.3k+(MD,Tirupati)

Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ @1.9k+(MD), or

Cooler: CM Hyper N620 @2.5k+(MD)

Now about the thermal compound...what do u people suggest? Should I be satisfied with ones supplied with the cpu cooler or should I buy a separate one?

Options: Tuniq 4(440+), Tuniq 3(395+), Arctic Silver 5(475+)

Please put forward your valued comments.

Edit: I already have a Logitech G1 gaming desktop kb & mouse combo..will upgrade that later...

Last edited:

d3p

PowerHouse
Component | Make | Price Processor | Intel Core i7 2600k | 16500
CPU Cooler | Corsair H70 | 5500
Motherboard |GA-Z68X-UD3R-B3 | 10500
RAM | Corsair XMS3 2X2GB 1600C9 | 2400
Sound Card | ASUS Xonar DX | 4200
Mouse and Keyboard |Razer Cyclosa Gaming Bundle|2000
| Total |41100

Go for Artic Silver 5 or CM Thermal Fusion....

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Regarding TIM, I think Arctic Silver 5 is the best among the three you have mentioned. You have a budget of 40K for CPU, Mobo, RAMs, CPU Cooler & Thermal Compound. You may want to look for the Corsair H70 as suggested by d3p5kor. Rest of the components what you have selected are great. Go for them.

OP
mukherjee

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
Component | Make | Price Processor | Intel Core i7 2600k | 16500
CPU Cooler | Corsair H70 | 5500
Motherboard |GA-Z68X-UD3R-B3 | 10500
RAM | Corsair XMS3 2X2GB 1600C9 | 2400
Sound Card | ASUS Xonar DX | 4200
Mouse and Keyboard |Razer Cyclosa Gaming Bundle|2000
| Total |41100

Go for Artic Silver 5 or CM Thermal Fusion....

Thank you for the suggestion...but IMO H60 should be better in terms of cost to performance ratio if its available by June(as I found out)

Regarding TIM, I think Arctic Silver 5 is the best among the three you have mentioned. You have a budget of 40K for CPU, Mobo, RAMs, CPU Cooler & Thermal Compound. You may want to look for the Corsair H70 as suggested by d3p5kor. Rest of the components what you have selected are great. Go for them.

Thanks bro...but I was looking at a few reviews....it seems TX4 gives 1-1.5 deg C better result than TX3...which performs similar to Arctic Silver 5...

Also,what about the thermal conductance?( I am stumped by the units...any idea?)

TX-4
Arctic Silver 5
80-way Thermal Interface Material Performance Test

Also...can u enlighten me on the approx shipping charge from Primeabgb to Kolkata? Rs 150 is what they've put up..seems a tad steep imo

tkin

Back to school!!
The TX4 is a cult favorite and the best tim, better than the mx2, so get that, if you gonna import the tim lemme know, we can split the shipping cost then.

The selection of component is good, for cooler I'd suggest the H60(after reading your reviews), but if you are open to air, notua all the way.

Vengeance rams are very tall, will prevent the install of any tower cooler, might look into that as well. But H60 will have no issues fitting.

Tuniq TX-4 Thermal Grease Review - Overclockers Club

Pros:

Great cooling performance
Non-Conductive

Cons:

Included spreader is hard to use
Grease is very thick and hard to spread

OP
mukherjee

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
The TX4 is a cult favorite and the best tim, better than the mx2, so get that, if you gonna import the tim lemme know, we can split the shipping cost then.

The selection of component is good, for cooler I'd suggest the H60(after reading your reviews), but if you are open to air, notua all the way.

Vengeance rams are very tall, will prevent the install of any tower cooler, might look into that as well. But H60 will have no issues fitting.

Tuniq TX-4 Thermal Grease Review - Overclockers Club

Well noctua wont fit my case for one...so Hyper N620 is the air option for me...if not H60...

Yes,I also read that review...fantastic TIM the TX-4...conductance of 6.53W/m-K!!!! :cool:

Well,the itdepot people have the tx 4 in stock...I had mailed them....here's what they said in reply....

Dear Dr,

Hi,

Sunbeam tx-4 is readily available,if placed order can be dispatched immediately.For further queries pls contact support@theitdepot.com or 044-45504416

Thanks

Warm Regards

naseem

Customer support
Theitdepot - India's First IT Online Shopping Store Team
Tel : 04424512288/04424510488
Fax : 04424513288
support@theitdepot.com

Though I had asked them specifically about the shipping issue to WB,(Form 50-didnt mention it directly)...they didnt clarify about it as u can see...what do u say about it?

Rather should I wait for MD to procure Arctic Silver 5 and then buy it locally....

tkin

Back to school!!
Well noctua wont fit my case for one...so Hyper N620 is the air option for me...if not H60...

Yes,I also read that review...fantastic TIM the TX-4...conductance of 6.53W/m-K!!!! :cool:

Well,the itdepot people have the tx 4 in stock...I had mailed them....here's what they said in reply....

Though I had asked them specifically about the shipping issue to WB,(Form 50-didnt mention it directly)...they didnt clarify about it as u can see...what do u say about it?

Rather should I wait for MD to procure Arctic Silver 5 and then buy it locally....
I doubt you need form 50 for something as small as the tim, I recently bought a few interesting stuff from ebay(will post images soon), none required form 50, its only for laptops, monitors etc, else its not required. If you are getting let me know, we can split the shipping cost, it'll be cheaper for us.

TX4 is sticky, so you need to spread it with finger(after wrapping your finger with plastic).

OP
mukherjee

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
I doubt you need form 50 for something as small as the tim, I recently bought a few interesting stuff from ebay(will post images soon), none required form 50, its only for laptops, monitors etc, else its not required. If you are getting let me know, we can split the shipping cost, it'll be cheaper for us.

TX4 is sticky, so you need to spread it with finger(after wrapping your finger with plastic).

Point noted...TX-4 has extremely high shearing resistance...~66200centipoise...dats why...

Can u elaborate on this Form 50 issue...whats included and wats not(interested in this part :D).

TX-4 is almost a done deal...shipping only 49/-...comes to 25/- apiece...well?

tkin

Back to school!!
Point noted...TX-4 has extremely high shearing resistance...~66200centipoise...dats why...

Can u elaborate on this Form 50 issue...whats included and wats not(interested in this part :D).

TX-4 is almost a done deal...shipping only 49/-...comes to 25/- apiece...well?
No matter, form 50 is declaration form that must be included with products to be shipped into west bengal(only wb has this rule), no need for small items but if you buy, say a laptop from dell india website you need to send them form 50.

No prob, 25+price right? I can afford that, I can't pay you via neft(not activated), how about I pay you on june first when we meet? You can order now or you can order after I pay you, shipping will take 1-3 days max, better buy after you decide on the cooler finally.

If you buy now I can't pick it up till 1st june as my exams are going on, if you order now you'll have to hold it for me till then, after that I can pick it up and pay you.

tkin

Back to school!!
^Lets wait till we meet then...a lot depends on what happens then...H60,Z68,Bulldozer...
Sure, in the mean time see this: Theitdepot - SilverStone FM121 Case Fan

And this: Theitdepot - ECO CoolIT Systems ECO-R120 Advanced Liquid Cooling For CPU (ALC)

OP
mukherjee

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
Sure, in the mean time see this: Theitdepot - SilverStone FM121 Case Fan

And this: Theitdepot - ECO CoolIT Systems ECO-R120 Advanced Liquid Cooling For CPU (ALC)

Well...lets not carried away with the bank busting thing... :twisted:

This is what it should cost to get the tx-4 for both of us...

Which shipping should we choose

*img545.imageshack.us/img545/2922/tx4buy.jpg

Its also gonna cost us 24/- extra by online transfer...

*img859.imageshack.us/img859/1549/tx4buy2.jpg

Wat say?

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
DTDC is pretty OK and quick. Also cheaper here. Regarding online transfer, you pay a very nominal amount if you want to use Credit Card. Otherwise do a EFT to their bank accounts.

OP
mukherjee

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
DTDC is pretty OK and quick. Also cheaper here. Regarding online transfer, you pay a very nominal amount if you want to use Credit Card. Otherwise do a EFT to their bank accounts.

Thanks for the heads up....DTDC services my area...it delivers my DIGIT!!! :D

I know the guys...

And since I'm too lazy to go to the bank(neither do I have much spare time :( ),online is the way to go imo

tkin

Back to school!!
Thanks for the heads up....DTDC services my area...it delivers my DIGIT!!! :D

I know the guys...

And since I'm too lazy to go to the bank(neither do I have much spare time :( ),online is the way to go imo
No problem, 12/- each for bank transfer and split the shipping 50:50(i.e 18/- each), that much I can afford surely, green signal for the purchase, I will give you the money on 1st june, order after that and then I can pick it up later when it arrives, also I might order a few LED lights from them, couple all that order and the shipping looks really cheap.

OP
mukherjee

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
No problem, 12/- each for bank transfer and split the shipping 50:50(i.e 18/- each), that much I can afford surely, green signal for the purchase, I will give you the money on 1st june, order after that and then I can pick it up later when it arrives, also I might order a few LED lights from them, couple all that order and the shipping looks really cheap.

Seems good...but lets wait for Bulldozer reviews before we take the plunge...maybe we might end up going for Bulldozer...and we dont know about the compatibility of existing coolers with socket am3b

tkin

Back to school!!
Seems good...but lets wait for Bulldozer reviews before we take the plunge...maybe we might end up going for Bulldozer...and we dont know about the compatibility of existing coolers with socket am3b
No problem, I'm also waiting for BD, but I will buy the cabby, gfx card first, I'm assembling this last time, next one will be after I get a job, so this ones gotta count.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's a huge question mark. If manufacturers sell separate kits for their popular coolers it will be great.

OP
mukherjee

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
No problem, I'm also waiting for BD, but I will buy the cabby, gfx card first, I'm assembling this last time, next one will be after I get a job, so this ones gotta count.

yeah, I have the same feeling bro....

Top Bottom