Need suggestion on using SATA HDD on 845gv mobo as primary

openkiddo

Right off the assembly line
Hello All,

Am new to this forum , while searching for some information about hardware I found his forum.

My 40 gb hdd stopped working, now am in confusion whether to buy a new IDE HDD 80GB which is around 2250 or buy a SATA 250 GB and use it with the help of PCI sata adapter.

Also If I buy SATA HDD then I can use it in future when I upgrade my PC. But my doubt is will SATA HDD works fine as PRIMARY from which system has to boot ??

Processor is celeron 2.4
Motherboard is intel chipset 845gv
Ram 512 mb

Can I go for SATA HDD with PCI SATA adapter and using this as my primary harddisk to boot the system ?

Please provide your suggestions ASAP

Thanks,
Openkiddo

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can I go for SATA HDD with PCI SATA adapter and using this as my primary harddisk to boot the system ?
Don't count on the boot part. A quick Google tells about many people facing problems.

Keep your IDE HDD as the boot drive and go for a PCI-SATA adapter + SATA HDD. But I see your current IDE HDD has stopped working.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Buying a another IDE HDD seems to be the best option for him.

@ OP - Where did you get the price quote of Rs. 2250 for 80GB IDE Hdd ?

160GB IDE HDD costs around ~2.1k and 250GB is around ~3k.

OP
O

openkiddo

Right off the assembly line
Thankyou all for your suggestions.

Ok ,I will buy IDE HDD 160 GB.Am planning to buy seagate 160 GB in SP road/bangalore to let me know if anyboby knows a dealer who gives for best price. Seagate 160 gb should be fine ?

-openkiddo

Last edited:
Top Bottom