Need suggestion for new DVD ROM drive

ajayritik

Technomancer
Guys my five year old LITE ON DVD ROM DRIVE has gone bad. Need to buy a new one.
Which one to go for?
Samsung
LG
Sony
any other brand

RiGOD

SoLa BeLLaToR...
Go for HP dvd1260i or Asus DRW-24B3ST. These are the two models ruling the optical drive market currently. Forget all others.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
My cousin had suggested LG but I think in TDF most of them are suggesting Asus.

Also I was thinking should I consider Blu Ray Drive?

saswat23

Human Spambot
Nah, consider Blu Ray Drive i you really use Blu Ray Discs, else thats waste of money. Blu Ray drives are quite expensive now. Wait for their prices to come down.

And for ODD, get any of the models suggested by RiGOD.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Go for or Asus DRW-24B3ST These are the two models ruling the optical drive market currently. Forget all others.

Get the Asus DRW-24B3ST, its best out there. I am using it currently.
Lots of people also suggest LG which will cost around Rs 800 whereas the Asus one would cost around Rs 1200. Is it worth the difference? Some people telling that there isn't much difference across the various brands available.

Last edited:

RiGOD

SoLa BeLLaToR...
^^We recommended the best you can get for the money spent. Asus @ 1110 & HP @ 1030 are the best and has excellent reviews. But after all you're the buyer and its you who must choose. If I were you I would have surely gone for either of these.

EDIT : Coincidence at its best. My LG drive has stopped writing CD's and DVD's. Found out that couple of minutes ago. Its my second LG drive that's failing.

Last edited:
OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
^^We recommended the best you can get for the money spent. Asus @ 1110 & HP @ 1030 are the best and has excellent reviews. But after all you're the buyer and its you who must choose. If I were you I would have surely gone for either of these.

EDIT : Coincidence at its best. My LG drive has stopped writing CD's and DVD's. Found out that couple of minutes ago. Its my second LG drive that's failing.

Thanks dude! Now only thing I need to decide is should I go for online purchase and risk some damage to the product or get it from a store nearby.

RiGOD

SoLa BeLLaToR...
Flipkart does have a 30 Day Replacement Guarantee.

All products sold at Flipkart.com are covered under our 30 Day Replacement Guarantee. Notify us of any problems, damages or defects within 30 days from the date of delivery, and we will issue a brand new replacement to you at no extra cost.

But if you can get a lower price from your local dealer, go for it.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Tough luck guys unable to find either Asus or HP at the computer stores. Should I take chance getting it shipped online with flipkart? I mean in terms of the product getting damaged in transit?

These guys mostly have Samsung LG Sony Liteon

devx

Back on TDF :)
Hey don't worry man., i would recommend ASUS + Flipkart :) because i have done lot of purchases from flipkart., and no problem at all., AND even i ordered the ASUS DRW-24B3ST on past Thursday and i received today itself., :)

The current price is 1,109. :-D

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Tough luck guys unable to find either Asus or HP at the computer stores. Should I take chance getting it shipped online with flipkart? I mean in terms of the product getting damaged in transit?

These guys mostly have Samsung LG Sony Liteon

Buy that Asus from flipkart. Locally you can't get that drive bellow 1090/-

Buy any one of known brands. I really doubt you will feel the difference.

There is small difference which affects in the lifetime of the drives. :p

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Hey don't worry man., i would recommend ASUS + Flipkart :) because i have done lot of purchases from flipkart., and no problem at all., AND even i ordered the ASUS DRW-24B3ST on past Thursday and i received today itself., :)

The current price is 1,109. :-D

I bought couple of times from Flipkart and happy with the service. But since this is an optical drive I'm worried that in transit due to rough handling it may go bad!

SunE

Professional Newbie
^^ Don't worry the packaging is really good nothing will happen and even if it does, one e-mail gets you a brand new replacement - no questions asked!! :)

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
^^Congratz buddy. Post some pics if possible.

Sure buddy! Will do.

Guys Tough luck! Yesterday I received the new DVD Rom Drive and when I was about to intall it today morning I found that my Previous DVD Rom Drive (Liteon) didn't have cables connected properly and hence it was not reading the disks. Now when I connected the cables properly the Lite-on Drive is able to ready. Though I didn't check if it's still able to burn disks.

Actually it's my fault when my cousin suggested that the Drive may have gone bad I should have double checked before making the purchase.

What do you all guys suggest? Should I try to sell of this new DVD Rom drive or should I keep it for future use?

Top Bottom