Need suggestion for CPU cooler and Heat compund

kishangupta

Broken In
Hi, I am having AMD Phenom II x4 945 (95 w) processor with ASUS M2N68-AM Plus. From few days I am seeing that my normal CPU temp is around 65 C, and little load like playing HD movie it goes around 77 C. I am not overclocking any thing.

Do I need to buy a CPU cooler, or I just need to change heat compound? Right now I am planning to purchase a GPU (most probably HD 7770). Also I am planning to upgrade my MB and Ram after 6 or 7 months. If I need to purchase a CPU cooler and/or heat compound then please suggest me some good option (Budget ~ 2500).

My system :
Cabinet : CM Elite 430 Black
PSU : Corsair GS600
Processor : AMD Phenom II X4 945
MB : ASUS M2N68 AM Plus

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
Well, if you buy a good CPU Cooler, you will get a above average Thermal compound, enough for a single use. My recommendation for you is Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo @ 2.2/2.4K.

And another thing, check in your BIOS, at what speed the CPU fans are rotating in loading time. Also, download and run HWInfo to monitor the CPU Fan speed in different loads. If it is rotating slowly in load time, you might need to create a custom Fan profile using Asus Q-Fan utility which is supported in your motherboard. Also you can try to disable the CPU QFan control in the BIOS and let the CPU fan rotates at highest speed all the time, not recommended though.

Cilus

laborare est orare
It creates problem only when you are using Gaming Rams with big heat sinks like Corsair Vengeance series.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ OP - you can also try remounting the cpu hsf using some good tim like DeepCool Z5/Z9 @ 500/600 bucks.

Before buying a new cooler, I suggest you should re-mount the existing cooler using thermal paste like Arctic Silver 5 (550) of Antec Formula 5 (500) to see if it's the incorrectly mounted cooler that's causing high temperatures. BTW did you remove the cooler for cleaning or some other purpose?

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
It creates problem only when you are using Gaming Rams with big heat sinks like Corsair Vengeance series.
not necessarily. Vengeance has enough clearance on my ATX board. Its only a myth that it doesnt leave much space. Might be true for older setup though.

not necessarily. Vengeance has enough clearance on my ATX board. Its only a myth that it doesnt leave much space. Might be true for older setup though.
I depends on how far the ram slots are located from the cpu socket. You may have ram slots away from the cpu socket, but OP may not and even I dont. On my motherboard there is just about 5-8 mm gap between ram and cpu heatsink.

OP
K

kishangupta

Broken In
Thanks guys for your suggestions. I brought CM Hyper 212 Evo, and I have to say it work very well. I think for gaming purpose it is good idea to have a better cpu cooler. Thanks again. :razz:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Congrats ;-) and yeah, after market cpu cooler for gaming purpose is only required when your stock HSF can't keep the cpu cool enough and/or if you want to oc the cpu.

Electrically conductive tims are little risky, but keep the amount low and you'r safe. I use Arctic Silver 5 and I'm happy with it. If you dont like metal in you'r tim then you can go for antec formula 5 with diamond powder :)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
but I've read some where ( Link ) that AS5 and AD5 are same stuff - not sire how much truth is there on this info.

Top Bottom