Need suggestion for an internal HDD

URPradhan

Journeyman
Friends

Please help me to decide on a 2TB internal HDD which is reliable, durable, high speed and offers best warranty in India (budget 5.5-6k).

Why 2TB: Because it has more $/GB ratio

OP
U

URPradhan

Journeyman
I'm really worried about the -ve feedback about Seagate, but in past my Seagate disks were obedient to me :) and I did not look at others like WD, Toshiba.

I'm really taking your feedback seriously, but the problem with WD green/red disk is that they are slow (5200rpm). And I hate slow disks. Except Seagte Are there NO other HDD having 7200rpm/SATA3 (6gbps)/64MB cache ???

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
I'm really worried about the -ve feedback about Seagate, but in past my Seagate disks were obedient to me :) and I did not look at others like WD, Toshiba.

I'm really taking your feedback seriously, but the problem with WD green/red disk is that they are slow (5200rpm). And I hate slow disks. Except Seagte Are there NO other HDD having 7200rpm/SATA3 (6gbps)/64MB cache ???

i think ,it is not the first time that i am posting here that red is faster than green and close to blue. you wont really notice any considerable differences. the cache size does not matter. if yes, green has to be much faster.

OP
U

URPradhan

Journeyman
I know brother that red is better than green, but I'm not comparing red vs green.
I'm comparing wd red 2tb vs seagate 2tb => 8500rs vs 5500rs => 5200rpm vs 7200rpm

- - - Updated - - -

Any other suggestions ????

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
I know brother that red is better than green, but I'm not comparing red vs green.
I'm comparing wd red 2tb vs seagate 2tb => 8500rs vs 5500rs => 5200rpm vs 7200rpm

- - - Updated - - -

Any other suggestions ????

Western Digital Red 2TB review | Disk drives (hdd & ssd) Reviews | TechRadar

Seagate Barracuda 2TB review | Expert Reviews

they are close at read speeds but lacks at write speeds, but again not at hectic margin. red 2tb is available at rs 7700 online. you better search locally for the price.
it is not just the price that matters. the reliability, warranty,support all these matters especially with hdds. although rs 8500 is not the right price.
you may consider toshiba or hitachi as well.

OP
U

URPradhan

Journeyman
Thank you all.

Finally took the risk and bought Seagate SATA3 (6gbps) 2TB 64MB cache 7200rpm 1GB platter HDD for Rs 5,700/-
Lets see how this guy is obedient this time to me :)

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
Thank you all.

Finally took the risk and bought Seagate SATA3 (6gbps) 2TB 64MB cache 7200rpm 1GB platter HDD for Rs 5,700/-
Lets see how this guy is obedient this time to me :)
re why? If you wanted to go like that then you should have gone with WD Black ~Rs.6000

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^~6k will get you 1tb wd black not 2tb.as for getting seagate drive it's not like its failure rate is very high considering seagate is the biggest hdd manufacturer in the world & sold more than 585 million units in 2013 & even 1% of this amounts to 5.85 million units.
Seagate Celebrates Milestone: First To Reach Two Billion Hard Disk Drives Shipped | Seagate
as for various studies showing high failure rate of seagate drives remember these results are from hdd in a server environment(whether Backblaze or google hdd report) which works completely different from home environment.
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/storage/180937-durability-report-27-134-hdds.html
frankly speaking luck is the most significant factor when it comes to hdd reliability in my opinion unless a particular series has too many problems(like the infamous seagate 7200.11 series).even earlier WD green drives which many claimed have high failure rates were actually using these drives in NAS/raid & there are also many who claimed that in a typical home non-raid/non-NAS system these drives work just like other drives even if a bit slower.

ramakanta

Ambassador of Buzz
how much my motherboard supported , what should I will buy ???? Seagate??? Toshiba??? SAMSUNG???WD???

^^~6k will get you 1tb wd black not 2tb.as for getting seagate drive it's not like its failure rate is very high considering seagate is the biggest hdd manufacturer in the world & sold more than 585 million units in 2013 & even 1% of this amounts to 5.85 million units.
Seagate Celebrates Milestone: First To Reach Two Billion Hard Disk Drives Shipped | Seagate
as for various studies showing high failure rate of seagate drives remember these results are from hdd in a server environment(whether Backblaze or google hdd report) which works completely different from home environment.
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/storage/180937-durability-report-27-134-hdds.html
frankly speaking luck is the most significant factor when it comes to hdd reliability in my opinion unless a particular series has too many problems(like the infamous seagate 7200.11 series).even earlier WD green drives which many claimed have high failure rates were actually using these drives in NAS/raid & there are also many who claimed that in a typical home non-raid/non-NAS system these drives work just like other drives even if a bit slower.

Even if we believe that Seagate does not have high failure rates, WD's excellent A.S.S. and Toshiba's high reliability make tham an obvious choice over Seagate.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
for same capacity drives at similar prices WD is indeed better(like between 2tb WD green & 2 tb seagate) but for those who can not afford extra 2k for similar capacity non-seagate drives(usually true for 2tb or above size) they can get seagate.

Last edited:
OP
U

URPradhan

Journeyman
how much my motherboard supported , what should I will buy ???? Seagate??? Toshiba??? SAMSUNG???WD???

Bhaina, HDD size does not depends upon motherboard. You can attach a HDD which you can afford :)
If WD would have 2TB blue, then I would have gone for that. But WD green/red are slow drives as compared to Seagate, hence Seagate was the ONLY option in 2TB :)

- - - Updated - - -

But please read this post carefully before buying Segate 2TG SATA3 HDD
Link: *www.techenclave.com/community/threads/confusion-with-seagate-7200-14-platter-sizes.138435/

ramakanta

Ambassador of Buzz
Bhaina, HDD size does not depends upon motherboard. You can attach a HDD which you can afford :)
If WD would have 2TB blue, then I would have gone for that. But WD green/red are slow drives as compared to Seagate, hence Seagate was the ONLY option in 2TB :)

- - - Updated - - -

But please read this post carefully before buying Segate 2TG SATA3 HDD
Link: Confusion with Seagate 7200.14 platter sizes !! | TechEnclave - Indian Technology Forum

thanks for this suggestion , I want to buy 500GB?? is it right ???

Top Bottom