Need SMPS for running 2 GTX 550 Ti in SLI.

gautam_dey66

Error 404
Hello everyone.
I will be running
2 GTX 550 Ti
in near future. So what I want to know is which SMPS and how many watts of SMPS will be able to run my pc stabily?
My Config.
Intel Core 2 Duo
E4600 @ 2.4 Ghz (Sood Upgrading to Core i7 Processor)
Intel DG31PR (Motherboard) (Sood Upgrading)
2 X 1 GB DDR2 RAM (I'll be upgrading it to 16 GB with my Motherboard)
3 X 320 GB WD HDD

the1337est

Hardcore Gamer
Corsair CMPSU-650TXV2UK 650 Watts PSU | Psu | Flipkart.com
or
Corsair CMPSU/CMPUS-700GUK 700 Watts PSU | Psu | Flipkart.com

I'd say go with GS700.

You can even go with GS600, but I'm assuming that you will overclock your CPU and GPUs. Thus, GS700 will give you more overclocking room.

somulesnar

Journeyman
@gautam_dey66

Mate i would suggests u to go with Corsair CMPSU/CMPUS-700GUK 700 Watts@5.8k

U can order o9 frm here.

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
Why not get a single 7950/7970 7850 instead.its better than gtx 55o x 2

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
Exactly, unless OP is already having the cards, the idea of running GTX 550 Ti in SLI is a really bad one. If you really wanna run CF of two middle-lower class cards then opt for HD 6850 CF which is equivalent to HD 7950 in most cases. Also it has lesser power consumption and a 600W good PSu like Seasonic SS12 II 620 is enough for the requirement. Even HD 7770 CF is a better option.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
You already have one GTX 550 Ti? Or you will buy two of them?

Very very poor choice imho. Not all games will scale 2X and a single GTX 550 Ti itself is a power hog. (for the tiny performance it gives)

Just pick up a single HD 7850 @ 15K which performs almost equal to SLI of 2 GTX 550 Ti and be tension free.

*tpucdn.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7850_HD_7870/images/perfrel_1920.gif

Even more funny thing, single HD 7850 consumes less power than a single GTX 550 Ti. Even if you have one GTX 550 Ti already, I suggest to sell it off.

*tpucdn.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7850_HD_7870/images/power_average.gif

Guys the op has already bought gtx 550Ti i read in his other thread
Even better than. A new unit, he can still sell it off.

2 X 1 GB DDR2 RAM (I'll be upgrading it to 16 GB with my Motherboard)
Keep 8 GB.

16 GB = waste.

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent
gtx 550ti SLI is not worth it...:|
multi gpu setups are better @ red team(ATI/AMD)...

instead go for single gpu as suggested by ico:twisted:

16 GB of RAM is waste...
Simply ur Proccy will run out of steam till u reach 8GB of processes
instead get 8GB it's a sweet spot

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've already bougt a GTX 550 Ti, and in few months I'll get another, and where I am currently it'll be hard for me to sell it.
If you ever wish to, try selling things on this forum or TechEnclave.com or Erodov.com. These are Indian forums as well and you might find takers. Just follow each forum's respective rules while making a post in the Bazaar section. :)

OP
gautam_dey66

gautam_dey66

Error 404
@ico
Now that I've it already. I'll try to sell it and will get a HD 7850. If not then I have to go for SLI GTX 550 Ti.

If you ever wish to, try selling things on this forum or TechEnclave.com or Erodov.com. These are Indian forums as well and you might find takers. Just follow each forum's respective rules while making a post in the Bazaar section. :)

Thanks @ico for the information. I'll look into those forums.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Sell off the GTX550ti & get a HD7850.
I think you haven't bought your 550ti after making a suggestion thread in this forum.

OP
gautam_dey66

gautam_dey66

Error 404
Sell off the GTX550ti & get a HD7850.
I think you haven't bought your 550ti after making a suggestion thread in this forum.

Seeing that everyone directing me towards HD 7850, I'll try to sell GTX 550 Ti and then after buying psu, I'll go for it. If everythings go as planned.
:-D

Top Bottom