Need Router: Internet USB Dongle Support. Budget: 2 - 2.5k

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Hi friends.

<Story/>
So in an attempt to find myself the best broadband, I have decided to try every conceivable options available in the market. First I had MTNL landline broadband connection. Broadband kya gh*nta.. it used to remain down for hours if not days on a bad day. Then I disconnected it after 3 yrs of connection for Pacenet. But I guess Pacenet is not able to bear heavy load of my usage. Now I have decided to try MTNL's 3G connection. The plan of 1650 with unlimited 3G internet seems luring.

<Problem_Statement/>
So I have a dongle: Huawei E1731. Photo: *i7.minus.com/iAiFCL1Q4DEwP.jpg (airtel 3G written over it).
I have bought an MTNL 3G sim. Now I just need a router with USB support, that I can use to create a wifi hotspot in my house.
House is not big so a mid range router will work.

<Query/>
I was trying to find myself a good router around 2K, but FK is of no help. My preference of brand doesn't include TP-Link since there is no service center in Delhi and to RMA TP-Link product I need to courier it to Mumbai, which I believe is a hassle. (Have a product, that I am unable to RMA).

Please help guys...

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
there are many tplink authorized resellers in Delhi,try contacting them to see if they can RMA if you drop & pickup the product at their shop(just tell them your friend got the product from nehru place long time ago & don't remember which shop now).
*www.tp-link.in/where-to-buy/resellers.aspx?p=2

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
why? is TP-Link not good?

I don't have a good experience with their product, since I use them 24 x 7.
Current router which I bought of TP-Link is working fine. But sometimes I see drop in connection. I know its Pacenet ISP acting up, but I don't have confidence on the router itself.
That's why I want to try some other product of other brand.

- - - Updated - - -

there are many tplink authorized resellers in Delhi,try contacting them to see if they can RMA if you drop & pickup the product at their shop(just tell them your friend got the product from nehru place long time ago & don't remember which shop now).
*www.tp-link.in/where-to-buy/resellers.aspx?p=2

I can try that if I ever goto nehru place. I have lost the bill of the USB adapter that I bought from TP-Link a while ago. If existing non-usb router gives me problem I might try to RMA it from authorized dealer.
But for now, to purchase a USB Router, I want to try some other (renowed) brand.

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
I have a dlink 2750u with dwm156 BSNL 3g and I need to reboot every day
Pathetic renowned dlink brand and useless Customer support

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Don't take it the wrong way, but , the way you have posted the three posts on this thread, it seems you are a bit biased towards, TP-Link.
Sorry if I am wrong. :oops:

- - - Updated - - -

So any other suggestions guys?!

- - - Updated - - -

I need to buy today... so any help would be appreciated.

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
Don't take it the wrong way, but , the way you have posted the three posts on this thread, it seems you are a bit biased towards, TP-Link.
Sorry if I am wrong. :oops:

- - - Updated - - -

So any other suggestions guys?!

- - - Updated - - -

I need to buy today... so any help would be appreciated.

First I too didn't like tp link but now I know it is a vfm with lots of features

Mr3220 shows signal strength of 3g too
U can install a openwrt firmware called ROOter to send sms and more features

In my place there is no service center too

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
So, TP Link MR 3220/3420 ... huh?

I guess I don't have much choice now.

I would have loved to have some other options, if budget is not taken into consideration.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i suggest buying from nehru place preferably from tplink authorized reseller.maybe this will solve the RMA issue if you ever need it.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
i suggest buying from nehru place preferably from tplink authorized reseller.maybe this will solve the RMA issue if you ever need it.

I might as well do that.
Its kinda hard to believe, no one can suggest any product from any brand other than TP Link which have the support for 3G USB dongle even if budget is not taken into consideration. :(

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
only alternative i prefer to tp-link is asus.they make some good models but availability might be an issue.
*www.flipkart.com/asus-wl-330n3g-6-in-1-wireless-n-mobile-router/p/itmd3u64dprfsvay

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
only alternative i prefer to tp-link is asus.they make some good models but availability might be an issue.
*www.flipkart.com/asus-wl-330n3g-6-in-1-wireless-n-mobile-router/p/itmd3u64dprfsvay

That is a very small router! o_O

*www.asus.com/websites/global/products/O7MOua9hMhFNXeUh/2ccard.jpg

That is cool. No wonder it's out of stock. I will try to find it!

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^^looks excellent..how much is the range?

It have one Internal 2.6 dBi antenna. Range is as expected very less for this device. I guess the high cost is due to its portability.
So search still continues. :(

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
It have one Internal 2.6 dBi antenna. Range is as expected very less for this device. I guess the high cost is due to its portability.
So search still continues. :(

Yes..range is very important when using WiFi Devices.

Top Bottom