Need Router: Internet USB Dongle Support. Budget: 2 - 2.5k

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Or, someone suggested me ASUS RTN10U, that works with the dongle I have: *www.asus.com/Networking/RTN10U_B/specifications/

FK have it out of stock. But ebay have it! :D

*www.ebay.in/itm/asus-rt-n10u-b-wir...oadband-/201016000494?pt=lh_defaultdomain_203
and *www.ebay.in/itm/asus-rt-n10u-b-wir...r-modem-/291130734437?pt=lh_defaultdomain_203

I might buy this now!

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
Or, someone suggested me ASUS RTN10U, that works with the dongle I have: *www.asus.com/Networking/RTN10U_B/specifications/

FK have it out of stock. But ebay have it! :D

*www.ebay.in/itm/asus-rt-n10u-b-wir...oadband-/201016000494?pt=lh_defaultdomain_203
and *www.ebay.in/itm/asus-rt-n10u-b-wir...r-modem-/291130734437?pt=lh_defaultdomain_203

I might buy this now!

I had a better model Asus rt-n13u
Replaced 2 times with FK and refunded my money :)
So buying in FK is safe

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I had a better model Asus rt-n13u
Replaced 2 times with FK and refunded my money :)
So buying in FK is safe

I think purpose of your post was to warn me that buying from ebay might not be the best idea?
Or that if you can't get it from FK, then better buy the TP-Link one?

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Thanks for the concern.
Both the ebay links I posted is the B version! :)

I think I can go for it. I might finalize it tomorrow morning and give an order for it.

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
I think purpose of your post was to warn me that buying from ebay might not be the best idea?
Or that if you can't get it from FK, then better buy the TP-Link one?

Getting refund from ebay is nearly impossible without lots of communication... That's why FK is hassle free

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Getting refund from ebay is nearly impossible without lots of communication... That's why FK is hassle free

And that's why my plan is following:

I will try to find RT-N10U B locally. If I am unable to find that, I will have no choice but to find TP Link MR 3220/3420.
If I am unable to find the TP Link model, then I will buy RT-N10U B from ebay.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
[MENTION=77264]Vyom[/MENTION] - there's an asus exclusive store in noida sector 18, and i saw there many routers, so chances are that you'll get it there.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
[MENTION=77264]Vyom[/MENTION] - there's an asus exclusive store in noida sector 18, and i saw there many routers, so chances are that you'll get it there.

Whoa.. thanks for informing man..
I will surely keep a tab there.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
So I finally bought TP Link TL-MR3420. Costed me Rs 2150 from offline market.

*i.minus.com/ibdeD4AMfujK11.jpg

The reason why I went with TP Link finally was that I came to know Nehru Place now have a service center. ASUS's RT-N10U B was not available easily anyway. So I thought why not try the router recommended by majority. :p

Now, I am waiting for the MTNL Sim to get activated. (Yea, its taking time to activate. Calling 1508 doesn't do anything. Apparently its hard to activate a SIM if you don't try calling the number 24x7). After which I will finalize whether to continue with the MTNL 3G plan of 1650.

Thanks guys for helping me out to decide a router and clearing me out of my doubts. :)

- - - Updated - - -

And for posterity, I am quoting the link to another thread which also helped me to decide this router:
*broadbandforum.co/topic/79423-need-router-with-3g-usb-dongle-support-budget-around-2k/

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
Thanks.
I don't know, I will have to test it. But I will let you know, once I test it. :)

If you want to check balance by sms USING ROUTER upgrade to ROOter firmware( search google ofmodemsandmen)

I am also thinking to buy the same router but will try ROOter firmware on my wdr3600 tplink

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
So I am having trouble using MTNL 3G dongle.

The dongle works fine with the router. But gives only 22% as signal strength. Doesn't improve even if I keep the router next to window, on 1st floor.
Speed of internet varies around 100 kBps, which is even lower than the 1 Mbps connection I had. Even this speed isn't consistent.

After sometimes dongle seems to get very hot. And connection drops.

I don't think that connection drop happens due to router, since it drops even if I use the dongle directly with PC. It may happen that dongle getting heated is the cause of connection drop, but even then the speed I am getting from MTNL 3G isn't worth the 1650 plan I initially bought the router for.

I am perplexed now. Looks like I will have to continue with pacenet only.

- - - Updated - - -

So I did a little testing of the router using my MTNL SIM and then on Airtel SIM.
It turns out that MTNL SIM was at fault here. The connection dropouts were due to the problem with coverage of MTNL network. Airtel network worked flawlessly.

Even when dongle becomes hot after sometimes, still Airtel 3G is providing virtually no connection dropouts. All in all, the router I bought is working fine.

I still have to test its range. Will do soon.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
If you want to check balance by sms USING ROUTER upgrade to ROOter firmware( search google ofmodemsandmen)

I went to the site of ofmodemsandmen. Since after trying the 3G dongle, I felt the need to check the remaining balance by SMS.
Closed the site, since there were a lot of spiders on the site. I don't like them. :|

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
I went to the site of ofmodemsandmen. Since after trying the 3G dongle, I felt the need to check the remaining balance by SMS.
Closed the site, since there were a lot of spiders on the site. I don't like them. :|

heyyyyy
close your eyes and download, it is now the most popular firmware in the world
else disable images on that page and continue

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I would be grateful of you if you can provide a direct link to the firmware for TP Link TL-MR3420. Or atleast to the direct page where firmware is available.
Thanks.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I would be grateful of you if you can provide a direct link to the firmware for TP Link TL-MR3420. Or atleast to the direct page where firmware is available.
Thanks.

*ofmodemsandmen.com/downloads.html

No spiders on that page.

Check if yours is v1 or v2. Plus there are multiple options available so you need to figure out yourself which is the most suitable for you to download.

justgothere

Broken In
I'm not a Technical person. Just would like to know of a good wifi router within 2k through which I may share my photon connection with two three laptops/tabs at home.
Regards :)

Top Bottom