Need Router: Internet USB Dongle Support. Budget: 2 - 2.5k

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
[MENTION=77264]Vyom[/MENTION] - You may also try ddwrt for your router.

I'm not a Technical person. Just would like to know of a good wifi router within 2k through which I may share my photon connection with two three laptops/tabs at home.
Regards :)

You can go for the same Vyom opted for.

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
[MENTION=77264]Vyom[/MENTION] - You may also try ddwrt for your router.

You can go for the same Vyom opted for.

but does dd-wrt has 3g support out of the box for that router

- - - Updated - - -

*ofmodemsandmen.com/downloads.html

No spiders on that page.

Check if yours is v1 or v2. Plus there are multiple options available so you need to figure out yourself which is the most suitable for you to download.

there are 3 spiders there too

There are now two versions of Huntsman available, both with the same features. The version under the yellow header uses an older and, hopefully more stable, revision of OpenWRT as it's base. The version under the red header uses the latest revision of OpenWRT available at creation time.

TP-Link MR3420v2 does not have USB power control on Yellow version.
so u cannot reset dongle from router page but reboot router completely to do that, so get red version to make the router reset the dongle if internet lost, all this is automatic

Features of Huntsman

Quality of Service (QOS)
Client and Repeater Mode
User Added Support for New Modems
Keep Connection Alive
Network Status web page to display signal and cell information
Ability to execute AT Commands from the web interface
Bandwidth Monitor implemented
Cellular Mode display and selection
SMS Messaging is supported

Keep Alive now has user settable options and modem power toggling if supported by the router.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I went to the site of ofmodemsandmen. Since after trying the 3G dongle, I felt the need to check the remaining balance by SMS.
Closed the site, since there were a lot of spiders on the site. I don't like them. :|

heyyyyy
close your eyes and download, it is now the most popular firmware in the world
else disable images on that page and continue

*ofmodemsandmen.com/downloads.html

No spiders on that page.

there are 3 spiders there too

They somehow didn't load for me the first time.

And That is what I like about TDF!
I said I don't like Spiders. And despite the fact that I gave a good chance to troll myself, you guys actually acknowledged the fact that I don't like spiders, but rather tried to help me! :D

Anyway, so I disabled images using Opera, downloaded the appropriate driver for v2 and upgraded the firmware. I struggled a lot initially to setup APN for example, but Google helped there and when I was just about to give up the dongle worked. And now I am surfing internet through the updated driver.

I have to say, maybe the features are a lot in this firmware, but UI is far more complicated and non noob friendly. But I figured my way to it.

Also, I don't think my purpose solved by upgrading the firmware. I upgraded firmware so that I can send message through the UI to know the remaining 3G balance. But I later realized I know only the USSD code to know the balance. And there doesn't seem to be an option to send USSD code though the UI of router. And I don't seem to find any way to know the balance through SMS of MTNL 3G.

Well, a bummer. :(

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
And That is what I like about TDF!
I said I don't like Spiders. And despite the fact that I gave a good chance to troll myself, you guys actually acknowledged the fact that I don't like spiders, but rather tried to help me! :D

Anyway, so I disabled images using Opera, downloaded the appropriate driver for v2 and upgraded the firmware. I struggled a lot initially to setup APN for example, but Google helped there and when I was just about to give up the dongle worked. And now I am surfing internet through the updated driver.

I have to say, maybe the features are a lot in this firmware, but UI is far more complicated and non noob friendly. But I figured my way to it.

Also, I don't think my purpose solved by upgrading the firmware. I upgraded firmware so that I can send message through the UI to know the remaining 3G balance. But I later realized I know only the USSD code to know the balance. And there doesn't seem to be an option to send USSD code though the UI of router. And I don't seem to find any way to know the balance through SMS of MTNL 3G.

Well, a bummer. :(

Atleast you get alerts from mtnl when balance is about to become empty/ recharge successful

Don't worry it will be implemented Soon
Remember to subscribe to do not disturb to stop nuisance sms
Send "start 0" to 1909

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
So, I used MTNL 3G sim on the new router I bought TL-MR3420. I had flashed ROOter which came with OpenWrt (Firmware version: Huntsman 2014-01-25red / LuCI Trunk (svn-r9945) ).

Then I switched to a new broadband connection: ANI network. The internet is fine except that it is also "Login" based. I configured the router myself and accidently edited the LAN settings. I realized my mistake when router failed to connect through the web interface. I hard reset the router and this time set the WAN settings. And now I can use the Internet. But I still need to login from the Login page of the ANI network through browser.

I was wondering whether we can set this login information of ANI network within the ROOter interface somewhere so that I don't need to login each time the session is expired (its like 15 min). Or, can I make the connection Alive by setting something in Router which for eg, keeps pinging a site in regular intervals. I have seen the option somewhere but not able to find it now. Can you help [MENTION=138043]kARTechnology[/MENTION]?

- - - Updated - - -

Just found the Continuous Ping option. But that's under Modem tab. So if I use a LAN cable for connection, I can't have the "Continuous Ping" option? :confused: ?

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I don't think something within the router can do that. Only a start up script can do that. That is available at least for ddwrt, should also be available for OpenWRT.

Also, you'll self have to figure out how to write the start up script by seeing other examples.

Top Bottom