Need new Phone for a budget of about 24k

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
same question I had too.... getting the nexus is not a problem but what is the fall back incase something happens to it? are there third party vendors who can repair this?

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
ok first of all...my apologies for being quiet for so long...my exams are going on right now..so didn't find enough time...so i am bringing back my old thread...
My budget has been increased to 27000...i was looking at xperia s as an option but not sure how much it cost..flipkart still quoting 29k..but some of the other forums quoting around 26-27k..also i heard xperia sl has come in..which is a sucessor to xperia s...so how long will sony keep giving support to xperia s?I also need to know whether i will get ICS off the shelf if i go ahead with xperia s...pls help..planning to buy after 13th Nov

achyutaghosh

Journeyman
Dont think you will get ICS off the shelf, but you can update the moment you switch it on and start setting up the phone-

The Xperia S has been added to the Google AOSP, so you will be getting updates, hence it is a good choice but i somehow think its over priced for what it offers.
The Optimus 4X HD will be the quad core power choice, available for 27k- if you are keen on LG.
However, watch out for the new Nexus 4 is supposed to come to India next month and looking at its US pricing ( $299-349) and specs, it sure will set the cat among the pigeons here.

bhushan2k

Genius in making mistakes
get xperia s straight away...trust me..u will be proud owner of sony...great audio quality...decent 12mp shooter..32gb onboard..usb otg support...720p hd screen..dual core processor is more than enough for android os..quad core benches looks good on paper..but practically, no need of it on android...audio quality of optimus 4x hd is disappointing according to gsmarena reviews..

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
yeah i myself too don't see the point of getting quad core phones now atm...though i have been hearing that at this price,i would get so..not sure though i will get one really...but here's the thing,if i am shelling out so much money for a phone,i should atleast get ICS with the phone now..thought sony would have given that with the phone..also can anyone tell me whether this phone is shutting down..because heard xperia sl is the sucessor & not many are sure of future updates...what is googla AOSP

things i need are good app support-so min 1 gb ram,32gb minimum storage-microsd slots would be beneficial though...music quality is a top priority here,need one which will be very good..good loudspeakers as well...vid players supporting hd..Are there any other choices to xperia s?

bhushan2k

^^ics update for xperia s already released couple of months back n the phone will also be getting jelly bean update in 1st quarter which is already confirmed by sony...it has everything u want..1gb ram..32gb storage...no sd slot but usb otg support (which is better than those phones having sd slot + no usb otg support)(i guess no need to tell why)...audio quality is awesome...even xperia p plays 1080p divx xvid mkv files on stock player...so tell me why u want other choices to xperia s??

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
Why is sony so slow on updates..was looking around..many are seeing sony phones just look good,otherwise it has some yellow screen complaint which i didn't quite understand but seem quite serious..i was hoping whether there is any competition to it from the likes of htc or so..hence i asked..also anyone knows how much xperia s cost now..getting mixed reports about it..how much would it be..will it fit in my budget?Hows the service centres of sony?Do i have to take my phone to service centre to update to ics?Is it risky updating it..i ask because it was a risky business in nokia where the phone might brick if it goes wrong..case in point many Nokia n82 did...

one more question i have is y are there different mechanism for locking a phone..few have that code like thing where you have to make lines & crosses to unlock whereas few just switch on if you power it on..my friend's nexus has that green line coding thing but my Galaxy advance friend..how do i get it?

bhushan2k

(official) software updating on android is simple process..u just have to follow pc suite software's on-screen instructions...different mechanisms for unlocking a phone are for user convenience..available screen locks (ICS) such as slide, face unlock, pattern, PIN, password...it just provides you variety of locking options and their security methods so that you can select your convenient and favorite option to lock and unlock your phone..you can enable it from: Setting => Security => Screen lock...

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
(official) software updating on android is simple process..u just have to follow pc suite software's on-screen instructions...different mechanisms for unlocking a phone are for user convenience..available screen locks (ICS) such as slide, face unlock, pattern, PIN, password...it just provides you variety of locking options and their security methods so that you can select your convenient and favorite option to lock and unlock your phone..you can enable it from: Setting => Security => Screen lock...
Thanks a lot..could you also help me answer the rest of the queries..regarding sun flares,poor capacitor buttons etc?Btw noticed flipkart announcing that htc one s is now at 25k..Also no one has answered this yet..how much does xperia s cost?

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
2 to 3 more issues which i have found...poor battery life(i mean really poor,few reviews say it last only half a day),non removable battery..etc etc...help pls

not much support for video either..plays very few format,have to rely on apps...so how many formats can it play on its own?

Want Android??? Wait and get NEXUS 4....
i am sorry but i do not think i can even afford this phone...

just asked the price of phones...
Xperia s cost 29000/- in mumbai...no way can i spend 29k on a phone.. :shock::shock:

bump..help pls

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
help me out ppl..what options do i have?

I'm as confused as you are. The only contenders right now are

1. Galaxy S2 - expandable memory, awesome graphics processor, great community support (custom roms, etc)
2. Xperia S - great camera and display, no expandable memory, no removable battery
3. Galaxy Nexus - can get from the US, can't be repaired in india
4. LG Nexus 4 - not released yet, no expandable memory, no removable battery but support from google, amazing HW for the price that its at

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
27000 is the max i can go..that too i increased from 24K...i inquired about prices for xperia s & most of them quoted 29K for it...

Xperia S i heard has a very poor battery life which some people say last even less than a day...

achyutaghosh

Journeyman
Almost all online stores are selling it below 27k
Sony Xperia S Price in India 2012 5th November valid in Bangalore, Hyderabad, Chennai,Mumbai and Delhi

ajaymailed

In the zone
Flipkart.com - 28.2K

Adexmart - 26K

Sulekha - 26.5K

saholic - 26.5K

27000 is the max i can go..that too i increased from 24K...i inquired about prices for xperia s & most of them quoted 29K for it...
Xperia S i heard has a very poor battery life which some people say last even less than a day...
*www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_s_vs_samsung_galaxy_s_ii-review-734p5.php
We ran our battery tests on the Sony Xperia S and it's ready to go head to head with the Samsung Galaxy S2.

The Sony Xperia S gives you about 7 hours and 41 minutes of talk time and coincidentally that's exactly as long as the iPhone 4S. The Samsung Galaxy S2 managed to endure nearly an hour more.

Last edited:
OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
this is from a tdf review of sony xperia S...

Battery Life was horrible for the first few days. It would discharge completely in about 6 hours with moderate usage. But it has settled now and I get between 18-30 hours of battery life depending on usage with about 3-4 hours of screen on time.
Don't know what he meant by battering settling but that is worrysome isn't it for a 27K+ phone?
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/reviews/157639-sony-xperia-s-review.html
Also this..

5. The three touch sensitive buttons at the bottom are not always responsive
a complaint i have heard from all users..

Any chance of pricing falling soon?

the main purpose for my battery concern is that i plan on using 3g on this phone & i am a bit worried how much battery life it would give with 3g on...

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
so with all of these issues isn't the S2 the better choice .... awesome developer support (XDA forums and all) ....OK OK hardware (Awesome graphics by the way) .... expandable memory ( a boon for indians with expensive data plans) .... and a removable battery ( you can swap it for a 2100 mah one) .... the only downside is the low res screen, low MP camera and the fact that it's 1.5 years old ....

S2 ? worth buying?

Top Bottom